Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Takes a long time to warm up?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Takes a long time to warm up?

PostAuthor: p00tster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:11 pm

My 98 XV1100 seems to take a really long time to warm up. I usually start it with the choke on, let it run for a few seconds, and then completely take the choke off. It will hold the idle without choke when cold, but it idles around 150 RPM.

It usually takes around 15-20 minutes to get it fully warmed-up to the point of holding an idle at close to 1000 RPMs, and that's actually after cruising around with it under load. I'll also add that I live in California, where the temperature has been around 70's to 80's.

The amount of time it takes to get it fully warmed up seems to be a lot longer than I see for most on here, and the RPM difference between warm and cold seems more-extreme than what I've read about others.

For additional background, I had made this posting a while back:https://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55642&p=454930

Has anyone else had this issue before?
1998 XV1100

p00tster
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1998 XV1100
Sex: Male

Re: Takes a long time to warm up?

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:33 pm

don't idle it long at 150 rpm because of insufficient oil supply from oil-pump;

my 1100 was also "cold-natured", but since it ran other-wise normally - took throttle without stumble, accelerated well, started everytime, I just enjoyed it. [esp. rush-hour "parking lot" in summer]
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: p00tster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 pm

mark75 wrote:don't idle it long at 150 rpm because of insufficient oil supply from oil-pump;

my 1100 was also "cold-natured", but since it ran other-wise normally - took throttle without stumble, accelerated well, started everytime, I just enjoyed it. [esp. rush-hour "parking lot" in summer]

Thanks, Mark. It only idles around 150 RPM when it's cold, and since I'm usually moving in a couple minutes after cold-starting, I'm not too concerned about lack of oil to the heads.

Did your 1100 also take 15-20 minutes to warm up?
1998 XV1100

p00tster
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1998 XV1100

PostAuthor: mr vroom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:43 pm

My problem may be unrelated to yours, but on my 81 xv750, it was very slow to warm up until I bought a Dynojet stage 1 kit. After installing, I could start up and drive right off w/o fear of stalling or careful feathering...
1981 Virago XV750

mr vroom
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 xv750 virago, rear to front wheel, benelli mojave tank, extra ground cables, 4 brush starter,
work in progress...sort of a scrambled cafe thing

4 brush starter, extra ground cables

Redding CT

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:53 pm

p00tster wrote:
mark75 wrote:don't idle it long at 150 rpm because of insufficient oil supply from oil-pump;

Thanks, Mark. It only idles around 150 RPM when it's cold, and since I'm usually moving in a couple minutes after cold-starting, I'm not too concerned about lack of oil to the heads.

Did your 1100 also take 15-20 minutes to warm up?

I always give my engine at least a minute or two to warm in the driveway, then drive easy until I get to the main road [~3-4 mile] usually by then it was warmed-up and ready to roll.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100