Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

No lack of poor riding skills

• Advertisement

Post a reply

No lack of poor riding skills

PostAuthor: faffi » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:34 am

Sure, there are drivers at fault as well here, but apart from perhaps two incidents, they could all have been avoided by proper riding. Target fixation is a big issue in most cases, as are going way too fast for the conditions. Watch and learn what not to do if you want to stay unharmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWZ-Il7MbdE
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel
Sex: Male

Re: No lack of poor riding skills

PostAuthor: JGrinnelli » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:02 am

I do not count crashing when racing, stuff happens on the track that never happens on the roads. Also many of the bikes were hit by cars not paying attention.

JGrinnelli
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 82 Yamaha Virago 750XV (Cafe Project)
16 YZ250F 60th Anniversary
06 YZFR6 50th Anniversary
08 WR250x Supermoto
14 CRF50 Stunt Bike

PostAuthor: faffi » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Agree, the racing spills didn't belong. However, even though the drivers of the cars may be at fault, the rider gets hurt. Expect the unexpected. I always ride like those sharing the road with me are out to get me and I invariably slow down if there are blind spots. Also look out for erratic driving, brake lights, unnaturally slow driving - anything that suggest someone doesn't know what they are doing at the moment. I've ridden in city traffic for five seasons, including in thick snow and on black ice, and I can count on my fingers the times I experienced drama. Not because I'm a spectacular rider, but because I paid attention and didn't assume others had seen me or would adhere to the regulations. I know others who experienced more near-misses per week than I did over those years because they fail to take care of themselves. It's no use being in the right when you're resting in an ambulance.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: JGrinnelli » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:23 pm

faffi wrote:Agree, the racing spills didn't belong. However, even though the drivers of the cars may be at fault, the rider gets hurt. Expect the unexpected. I always ride like those sharing the road with me are out to get me and I invariably slow down if there are blind spots. Also look out for erratic driving, brake lights, unnaturally slow driving - anything that suggest someone doesn't know what they are doing at the moment. I've ridden in city traffic for five seasons, including in thick snow and on black ice, and I can count on my fingers the times I experienced drama. Not because I'm a spectacular rider, but because I paid attention and didn't assume others had seen me or would adhere to the regulations. I know others who experienced more near-misses per week than I did over those years because they fail to take care of themselves. It's no use being in the right when you're resting in an ambulance.

Well said Sir!!

JGrinnelli
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 82 Yamaha Virago 750XV (Cafe Project)
16 YZ250F 60th Anniversary
06 YZFR6 50th Anniversary
08 WR250x Supermoto
14 CRF50 Stunt Bike

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:49 am

In complete agreement there faffi. Wrong speed, lack of reading the traffic flow and risks correctly and one of my pet gripes, lack of visibility for some of the bikes and riders. I won't get into the Hi-vis vs non Hi-vis discussion here but having your headlights on is a very easy way of making yourself more visible. Granted there are examples here where it did not help but not being seen is not usually the reason for the crash in that instance..

Cheers,

Rant.
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:35 pm

:yup:

how a rider survives to be an old rider: by hyper-vigilance bordering on paranoia, caution, and experience. [and a little good-luck doesn't hurt]

JMO: the video is another testament as to why lane-splitting is an invitation to spend some time in a hospital bed.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:56 pm

mark75 wrote::yup:

how a rider survives to be an old rider: by hyper-vigilance bordering on paranoia, caution, and experience. [and a little good-luck doesn't hurt]

JMO: the video is another testament as to why lane-splitting is an invitation to spend some time in a hospital bed.

:yup:

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain

Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:03 pm

I have been able to avoid hundreds of idiots, except for one, ME.
I evaluate every ride to council myself on how I could have done better. I need to listen more intently.

and Yeah I wish I could do that stunt stuff or even ride to the bike's capabilities, but I don't have it, and I never will.
Pass the ice and ibuprofen....lets ride!
G'Luk !
---Rancher

B Good! GearUP! TwistOn! GearTall RideSmall
Homage to Those We Follow - Rest In Peace Ride At Peace
but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 17/41
1978 CX500 - Luv a Maggot with a Twist
1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T
1976 GL1000 Old Skins in New Bones(sold)
The only Cure for Obsession is another.
OR a Divorce, que sera sera

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:22 pm

CX Rancher wrote:I have been able to avoid hundreds of idiots, except for one, ME.

As one local radio personality used to say in these parts, " Watch the guy behind the guy, in front of you. "

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain

Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:49 pm

CX Rancher wrote:I have been able to avoid hundreds of idiots, except for one, ME.

:rotfl: ain't that the truth, wish I 'd said that. gonna have to 'borrow' it :naughty: Thx CXR! :thumbs:
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Safety Bits / Riding Gear