VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Special tools to Carry.

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Special tools to Carry.

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:47 am

Hi & I wish everyone a Happy New Year.
When you go on a trip long or short, what special tools to you add to the carryall toolbox?

So far I have added a cloth for cleaning the bugs off the screen & a little tube of polish, Blockout & a scarf come bugcatcher., a couple of adjustable belts come ocky straps to secure stuff & a set of hex keys.

Would any one consider carrying a small amount of fuel?

Yeah yeah... I know.... "WTF" are you thinking... :ops: :ops:
Well to me IMHO, not such a silly thing. As to where to carry said fuel is entirely another thing. LOL.
On the packrack in a metal container???
Saddlebags? Hmmm maybe not.
Maybe nowhere near the exhaust... :tf: .. whats on the other side???
What about in or near the crashbars... maybe make up a "cupboard" type thing come wind deflector??

or maybe just join RACV roadside assist. :ider:

Decisions decisions..

Heres hoping I catch up with everyone in the new year. Ride safe friends. :yahoo:
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago.
1300 V Star 2007
Sex: Male

Re: Special tools to Carry.

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:25 pm

I carried a one-gallon plastic gas can in my left saddle bag on a trip across western Canada. Came close to needing it once in the middle of Saskatchewan (fighting a head wind for hours on end...) but finally came upon a small gas station a ways off the highway. I carried nothing other than tools, spare cables, a service manual, circuit tester etc. in that bag. Biggest concern I had was where to store (hide) it at night. Not a good idea to keep it in a motel room, and many of them don't have anywhere to hide it outside. I think a better idea is to purchase about 4 of those 1-litre aluminum containers they have for camp stoves. They're costly, but I think much safer and can be stored inside. Biggest drawback with them might be in getting them re-filled; might need to carry a small siphon hose to refill off the bike's tank at a re-fuelling stop.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:20 pm

just don't carry anything flammable in your saddlebags on the exhaust-side.

I once thought saddle-bags would stay solidly secure and out of harms way ...
while on a nice ride one day, I was surprised by a small explosion & fire.
the bags had slipped slightly, enough for the exhaust to blow on & burn through the bag which contained a can of Seafoam fuel additive.
the Seafoam, it seems, got very excited by the heat. :con:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: drainplug » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 am

I always carry a set of tools that contain 1/4" drive breaker bar with 8,10,12 & 14mm sockets and combo end wrenches. 8" Crescent wrench, multi tip screw driver, folding Allen wrench set. I also take a bottle or two of water and "munchie" bars in case I get hungry out there somewhere.
Last trip I took 3 pairs of gloves and used all three as it got colder. That was a two day trip a couple weeks ago from central Utah to Vegas and back.
If you plan to get gas every 100 miles you shouldn't need to carry it with you, but the small bottles (Siggs) would work well.
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Oh yeah, and somehow Captain Morgan always stows away in one of the bags. But I don't mind, he's a good friend of mine, always enjoy spending a bit of time with him at the end of a long day's ride. :-)
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:46 am

Yep, thats one of the biggest problems too Cusstout 1100, how much is enough & how much space does it take up? One gallon is substantial.
I was thinking maybe 1/2 a gallon would be enough to get me out of trouble, then just get a garden hose & siphon someones car if I get desperate. ( of course Id leave an IOU.... maybe :angel: )

Ah yes, heat, the one source that would expedite combustion given the air volume traveling over the bags at speed. Turned out to be an enlightening ride mark75. ( Hmmmm wont do that again. )

Hey, you know drainplug, I actually dont know yet how far a full tank gets me. I mean thats what initially spurred the conversation. All I can go on, is that so far, I fill it with fuel, later this little red light flashes & I fill up again. Thats all well & good while in suburbia, but out on the open roads fuel stops are a bit harder to find.
So far I fill up with ( conversion required for outside of Australia. We use litres & kilometers. Another government rip off. Dont get me started there :(( . ) 10 litres, 18L, 12L. 8 Ltr etc .. Its everywhere. & an average ( guess ) at somewhere between 12 & 18 kilometers per litre. Converted to approximately 7 1/2 miles for the first number or (18K/L = 11 miles) I THINK. :con: :doh: MY BRAIN HURTS!!

I was told it has a tool box but hey its Christmas & New Years tonight here, so I just havent made the time to FIND it or what tools are included. Im guessing just the most basic of items Plug spanner maybe, a screwdriver & some poxy wrapper to hold them in place.
Its still under warranty anyway so in the mean time Im not that concerned.. I just want to personalise it to suit me. Something to adjust the shocks, spare new spark plugs, Hex keys ( essentials as drainplug said water, scotch, cup, ice cubes. Sunglasses Sunscreen scarf gloves.)

Damn maybe I need a trailer for all this crap?

Well its nearly time to go celebrate New Years Eve fireworks displays. So I wish you all the best & have a fantastic New Years celebration. :drinks: Eaglearm.
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago.
1300 V Star 2007

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 am

I have noticed that some motorcycle owners use a Chevy pickup and trailer as special tools.

Then again, you have a Yamaha, the truck and trailer would be over kill :bg:

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:35 pm

Jake wrote:I have noticed that some motorcycle owners use a Chevy pickup and trailer as special tools.

Oh buddy..you said a mouth full. Ever been to Sturgis lately? They've run outta land to park all the trailers that come to America's biggest bike and trailer rally. That's not counting the motor-homes that cost more than my house.
Know what dogs and Harleys have in common? Says it all.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: drainplug » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:18 pm

Eaglearm wrote:I was thinking maybe 1/2 a gallon would be enough to get me out of trouble, then just get a garden hose & siphon someones car if I get desperate. ( of course Id leave an IOU.... maybe :angel: )

Hey, you know drainplug, I actually dont know yet how far a full tank gets me. I mean thats what initially spurred the conversation. All I can go on, is that so far, I fill it with fuel, later this little red light flashes & I fill up again. Thats all well & good while in suburbia, but out on the open roads fuel stops are a bit harder to find.
So far I fill up with ( conversion required for outside of Australia. We use litres & kilometers. Another government rip off. Dont get me started there :(( . ) 10 litres, 18L, 12L. 8 Ltr etc .. Its everywhere. & an average ( guess ) at somewhere between 12 & 18 kilometers per litre. Converted to approximately 7 1/2 miles for the first number or (18K/L = 11 miles) I THINK. :con: :doh: MY BRAIN HURTS!!

I've never been good with math either. I'd guess that 150 kilometers is about 100 miles?
I did a trip thru Canada and took a 1 gallon (3.75liter?) can and never needed it, but tried to go from Ely Nevada to Tonopah Nevada and was 46 miles (80km?) short.
Nevada is like the outback of the USA, miles and miles of miles and miles.

I was told it has a tool box but hey its Christmas & New Years tonight here, so I just havent made the time to FIND it or what tools are included. Im guessing just the most basic of items Plug spanner maybe, a screwdriver & some poxy wrapper to hold them in place.
The stock tools on most motorcycles are there so that if you want to go fishing you have plenty of weights.
On my Honda XRs the plug socket and multi tool were all you keep, the rest are junk.
Last edited by Jake on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

Post a reply

• Advertisement