Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

What is this?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

What is this?

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks for having a look at my query, I wanted to get to the battery to run extra wires for, say, a Go pro, Mobile phone, Navigator, Radio.... lets see what else can I get up front?? OK that will do for now.
So
On the left side of the bike there is a panel with a key slot that works off the ignition key. Great start.
However there is a round metalic fixture on the right hand side of this panel with a star pattern depression & a spigot protruding from the centre of the unit.

So my question is...

Who's the idiot that designed this
Star screw spigot seat.jpg

Why would you make a removable panel that opens by using a key but then wont remove unless you have a special tool to remove the second constraint. Here's a photo of the culprit. (Damn thats large Lets try again.)
Star screw spigot blue.jpg

AND whats behind this panel that needs so much protection?
Is this the tool box, battery access, fuses?

The manual I downloaded doesnt give up much information other than to remove the seat release this panel. ( Im paraphrasing ).

I guess I now have to go out & get special tool VS3958727-A just so I can unscrew this unit to remove the panel.

Thank you Eaglearm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago.
1300 V Star 2007
Sex: Male

Re: What is this?

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:55 am

As near as I can see from the manual and parts fiche, that panel’s only purpose is to provide a place to mount the seat lock. The security screw is there to prevent someone from bypassing the seat lock by removing the panel.

I don’t see any wiring behind it, any wires you need to access, should be under the seat.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks Jake that's a pretty reasonable explanation. I would assume the only time you need access to the seat lock is when we're garaged, so our special tool ( if you have one ) should be/is readily available.

OK, no wiring there. I looked at the downloaded manual earlier & I couldnt see anything other than panel 3. What I want then, is to get under the seat to add some power & run it up under the tank ? to the front & create an access portal.

There are several sets of screwdriver bits for sale, I'll have to check if they have this special bit in them.

Thanks for your help.
Eaglearm.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

1300 V Star 2007

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:06 pm

From what I’ve seen in the manual, the fuse box and battery are only accessible once the seat is removed. I suppose the seat lock is there for that reason.
Keep us updated.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:16 am

What an interesting concept Jake. Its only purpose is excactly that... To secure the seat from any interference/removal & thus access to the battery & fuses area.
I presume that is where any would be perp, would try to interfere with the wiring/jump start or steal the bike.

The screwy thing is called a Tamperproof (Torx ( Registered Trademark )) screwdriver bit. Size T27.
Most common ones sold in sets are sizes T25 & T30.

So now to an electrician so I can add some additional power sources for electronic devices... Oh... this is going to be fun :ops:

Does anyone know what capacity the alternator is?

I want to add a navigator, radio, speakers, a couple of USB outlets, driving lights ... lets see.. what else can I add? Hey what about a cigarette lighter.

OK so maybe not the cigarette lighter but definitely all the others. :bg:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

1300 V Star 2007

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 am

The additional devices and the driving lights will not have any effect on the alternator, it will charge at a constant rate regardless of the electrical demand.

A larger capacity battery would help more than anything. I’d look for the largest capacity (AH) AGM battery that will fit the battery box.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha XV1300