Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

1300 V Star exhaust Sooooo soft.

• Advertisement

Post a reply

1300 V Star exhaust Sooooo soft.

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:45 am

I am looking at buying an 07 V Star 1300 that has standard pipes ( 2 into 1 ) & sounds like my Hoover vacuum going down the road.

Can someone fill me in on some options to make it so I can actually hear it running. :cl:

Im going to sus out whether the muffler only can come off or if I have to change the whole exhaust system.
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago.
1300 V Star 2007
Sex: Male

Re: 1300 V Star exhaust Sooooo soft.

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:13 am

Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:54 am

Eaglearm wrote:
Im going to sus out whether the muffler only can come off or if I have to change the whole exhaust system.

Yes the muffler comes off. You can replace it with something like Cobra slip on https://www.denniskirk.com/cobra/4-in-s ... 5713337397, a whole lot cheaper than a full system

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:58 am

Thanks for the info Jake, certainly great reviews & the price is very modest. I actually put a deposit on the bike today & can pick it up Wednesday ( Australian (Melbourne time)). :cl:

bstig60, thanks for those links. Vance are certainly a namesake in the muffler/exhaust world.
Im going to research Australia's ability to find a suitable exhaust system fitting. Im not sure if purchasing from the US would be cost effective.

I dont have much in the way of motorcycle mechanics, repairers, wreckers or parts suppliers very local to me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

1300 V Star 2007

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:12 am

Eaglearm wrote: ( Australian (Melbourne time)). :cl:

:doh: I should've looked at your profile first, before offering a solution !

I know how expensive it is to ship to AU, I've done it for a member here once. He bought a full set of exhausts, had them shipped to me.

I then repackaged them to a smaller box, to reduce freight costs. Saved him quite a bit.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:18 am

I Googled " aftermarket motorcycle exhaust supplier in Australia ", and found quite a few suppliers for slip on mufflers. Some of those were very inexpensive, I can't say I saw the Cobra though.

Since the stock muffler is removable, you have some reasonably priced options down under.

Here are two examples

https://www.thirdgear.com.au/parts/exhausts/

https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/zodia ... l-mufflers

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:13 am

Great research Jake, thanks. Those places seem to be just around the corner for me. Strange?? I didnt find these sort of places when I was looking to buy a bike?? Other than Peter Stevens Dandenong (AKA harley Heaven ) (unfortunate, but I dont have a real good feel for the place. IMHO harley stores/bikes are overpriced. ) Enough of my rant..LOL.

I bought the 1300 & brought it home Monday, so your links will come in very handy. Oh & I did confirm the muffler comes off. The sales rep @ Yamaha suggested I might have to do the whole system @ $1300++ So $90.00 a muffler is sooooo much better.

Actually MCA have a nice Vulcan for a good price too.. Maybe I'll end up there for a test ride hehehe. Hmmm that place looks HUGE??? How did I miss it?????
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

1300 V Star 2007

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Eaglearm wrote:IMHO harley stores/bikes are overpriced. ) Enough of my rant..LOL.

quite so!
but no choice. they don't have the govt. backing / resources that the Asian manufacturers have so they have to increase the price to ensure continued existence. [and give the suits a luxurious life-style] :naughty:
JMO
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 am

Ive owned this for 3 days now & havent had enough time to go for a ride yet.

I rode it home & into the garage... & thats where she's parked ( it going to be an effort to turn this sucker around to ride out though.. A bit heavier than the 250...LOL )

I am so hanging out to take a ride longer than just filling up with fuel & back home again. I need to build up a relationship with the performance, braking ability, sounds, comfort, balance.... oh so much to do...

Im so excited. Maybe I'll go to MSA in Dandenong for the first outing.
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

1300 V Star 2007

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Hmmm, well MCA was very informative about systems available for my bike but I cant see myself spending 1/3 of the price of the bike ( Cobra @ $2300 plus fitting ) on a better sound.
Some say just a slip on will do it others are of the opinion I have to come of the barrels to get the best performance/flow rate from the engine. :search:

I think right now Im stuck with the EPA ( Environmental Protection A(..r soles) Authority) noise limits of 95 Db. :gw: :cop:
Apparently there are fines of $400 to $500 involved in Australia. Although there are plenty of examples of louder than 95Db readily available on the streets, I have an extremely CLEAN licence & would like to keep it that way if possible.

Just a quick story of the benefits of a good licence is, recently I my ex was in hospital, ( nothing serious but no one knew that at the time ), the kids told me about it & I went to visit. Coming along a 2 lane motorway, me in the outside lane, traffic had slowed & I changed to the inside lane, passed a car & returned to the outside lane about 100 metres in front of it. Well on went the double bubble & "Pull over driver" was the call.
The coppers said I was going too fast ??? ( no I was under the limit ) & that passing on the left was illegal. Long story short, the Sargent said" I checked you history & have no infringements on record so Im going to cut you a break & just give you a warning today. :drinks: " I said my thank yous to them both & went on my way.
They reminded me that I should be aware of other drivers bad habits on the road & they didnt want me to end up in hospital bed next to my ex wife...
a Bit of a chuckle & I replied Me too I got out of that habit a long time ago. :nail:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

1300 V Star 2007

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha XV1300