VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Weird Jerky Acceleration / Sputtering at Low RPMs

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Weird Jerky Acceleration / Sputtering at Low RPMs

PostAuthor: deadeye_murphy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:59 pm

Hello,

I have recently got an '85 XV1000 and it runs fine for the most part, but there is some strange behavior in 1st and 2nd gear at low RPMs. Basically it feels like when taking off from 1st or sometimes after shifting into 2nd, it takes moment for the power to kick in? Like once you give it enough throttle jerks a bit and starts moving as you might think it should all the time. I'd say it almost feels like half power, like its on one cylinder, but I think both are firing since once give it enough throttle it feels fine.

I don't have really any experience working on bikes, but I know that the guy I got it from said he didn't have time to balance the carbs correctly. Would that be what is causing this behavior?

Thanks!

deadeye_murphy
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 XV1000
Sex: Male

Re: Weird Jerky Acceleration / Sputtering at Low RPMs

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:38 am

:VTF:

deadeye_murphy wrote: said he didn't have time to balance the carbs correctly. Would that be what is causing this behavior?

"Could" very well be "one" of the problems. Track'n down hiccups, jerks, sneeze'n, tiny back fires, hesitations, can be tricky and/or deceive'n to other stuff. Impossible to diagnose..long distance style. Specially, since these models use MCV/AIS (EPA garbage). Just going to take some time/checks. First thing to do would be to make sure there are "no" vacuum" leaks at any/all joints. Majority of the time eliminating all that plumbing helps, "but" not always necessary if everything is working (you maybe one of the few where is "does" still work MCV/AIS). May have to move onto the carbs (pilot jet (torn 0-ring). Does sounds more like something slightly off in the jet neeedle/needle jet, since this is where it seems to be happening (slightly off idle). Maybe a shim/washer under the jet needle may help. Don't know...takes experimenting. Unlikely...but...maybe something in the ignition system. Something as simple as crappy secondary wire-to-spark plug cap connection. If original spark plug cap, there's a tiny (pill-like) resistor in them, that "maybe" weak(ish). As mentioned earlier...takes some time.
Unfortunately, some PO sense lack of experience of a buyer..and can say "anything".
Latch onto and/or D/L (from VTF after 5 posts) a manual and start your journey to "experience".

Good luck.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Re: Weird Jerky Acceleration / Sputtering at Low RPMs

PostAuthor: deadeye_murphy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:19 pm

Okay, that I figured with quite a "vague" problem the causes are multiple. The bike is visually great shape, but I know that doesnt always speak to the internals. I'll start with checking for vacuum leaks and work down from there. Thank you!

deadeye_murphy
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 XV1000

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1000