Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Retrofit petcock to XV1000 tank? (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Retrofit petcock to XV1000 tank? (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Markjaws » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:48 pm

I have a garage find Xv1000 I am attempting to modify to my version of a tracker. After much cleaning, derusting and rebuilding I got her running until I experienced some fuel pump or electrical issues. I would like to remedy the problem by eliminating the sub tank and fuel pump and going to gravity feed. Has anybody seen any posts about adding a petcock to a “petcockless” XV1000 tank? It has a nice flat spot on the left underside. Could I or should I use a non-vacuum petcock if I promise to turn it to “off” when parked?
This is my first post- please be gentle.
Many thanks.
Markjaws
1985 XV1000

Markjaws
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1985 Yamaha XV1000 Virago
1998 Honda Valkyrie F6 1500
Sex: Male

Re: Retrofit petcock to XV1000 tank?

PostAuthor: Arjay » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:18 pm

Hey Mark. Welcome to the forum.

What is a tracker, anything like a bobber?

Well, before you move on to gravity feed you might want to check your electric more thoroughly.

I myself am having problems with my tci (brain box). I have the 1100 but pretty much same as 1000.

I will tell you beware that Yamaha changed from 2 pickup sensors for ignition to 1 in 1990.

Your tci handles the fuel pump decisions. Like shunting power to fuel pump when low fuel is detected by sending unit. This forces rider to switch to reserve on right handlebar to resume riding on sub tank. Hopefully on route to gas station.

The tci has other safety features that stop fuel pump and spark.

If you have sidestand(kickstand) down and engine running and you put into gear the tci will stop the engine (kill spark and fuel pump).

If you have kickstand down but in neutral it will run.
If kickstand up, clutch pulled in, you can start it.

You can clip a certain wire at your tci (leave room to resplice) and bypass the safety system. Maybe get fuel pump back online and figure ou what is objecting.

The safety system supposed ly, uses ground to establish, ground = go.

So, kickstand up = grounded.
neutral on = grounded.
put in gear, kickstand ground = ok, go.

clutch in equals ground = ok start.
clutch out, no clutch ground.
bike in gear, no neutral ground.
kickstand down, no kickstand ground = stop.

If you find your tci is bad they are expensive.
Ignitech.com
regulatorrectifier.com make aftermarket tci

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 am

:VTF:

Arjay wrote:Well, before you move on to gravity feed you might want to check your electric more thoroughly.

I gather Markjaws "just doesn't want the fuel pump". Sooo..I'd go for it, if that's what you want. Many have and are happy. Does make everything cleaner and a more straight forward way to deliver fuel. And.... "NOT" have to play around with bunch of test'n..replacing...whatever. And for you going for a "tracker"..eh..you're only lose'n .7gal of fuel by subtracting the sub-tank. Not to mention atad bit less weight and an area for other stuff, if needed.

Do a "search" within VTFs and you find plenty of articles referring to the eliminating of sub-tank/vent hose/fuel line (size)/taps & reducers needed. Good luck with the project. :cl:

Such as: http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 54022fede0
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:39 am

The only issue with installing a petcock on the 1000 tank, would be if the defined area is thick enough for threading.

Since you are going with a tracker style, which probably means you may replace the speedometer, in which case you won't need the fuel level sensor. If that is the case, I suggest you use that opening for the petcock, you won't be able to run the tank completely empty, but that would only amount to about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of fuel.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 am

:VTF: Another choice is to put a manual shut off valve in the large hose that runs to the sub-tank, this would require reducing the large line down to the size of the fuel line to the carbs, but you will have access to all the fuel in the main tank.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 pm

bstig60 wrote::VTF: Another choice is to put a manual shut off valve in the large hose that runs to the sub-tank, this would require reducing the large line down to the size of the fuel line to the carbs, but you will have access to all the fuel in the main tank.

The same thing as Flyingdog mentioned. The big drawback to that is, when you run out, you are empty !

With a petcock, you can always switch to reserve, so such luxury with a shut off valve.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm

True! However, that is what you face when losing the fuel pump and the sub-tank.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:33 pm

bstig60 wrote:True! However, that is what you face when losing the fuel pump and the sub-tank.

With a petcock, you still have reserve, just not as great as with a pump and sub tank, so you reduce the overall range by 22 (+/-) miles, if ridden conservatively.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Howdy.
Welcome to VTF.

A FWIW: the 'thicker' line is for fuel, the 'thinner' line is vent-tube inside upper tank - with its upper-end near gas cap...
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Markjaws » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Thanks guys- very helpful.
Back in the 70’s I raced flat track and I have always wanted a kick around bike that reminds me of times when I had bigger balls and less common sense. This xv1000 was in such marginal shape I didn’t feel too bad in changing her personality. I have raised the rear of the tank 3” to get a flatter appearance. It’s a great look. Using the existing fuel line loses me the the lower couple of inches of fuel on both sides of the tank. Therefore adding a petcock would also help me access some of that lost capacity. I have purchased a cheap XV750 petcock and I am working on fabricating a mounting plate to solder? Or braze? Or weld? Or JB Weld to the spot on the left side of the tank where there was once on some previous model a petcock.
I have ordered a Saddlemen Eliminator Flatrack seat & tail section and I am now modifying the subframe to accept this new look. I will be moving the footpegs and controls back 6” or so.
I have installed flat track handlebars. I plan to declutter the bug eyes and AIS system in the future.
Sounds Like like a ton of work and money but I’ve got lots of one of them.
Has anybody ever dropped the forks on one of these?
Also- I have removed a bunch of very nice original equipment- is there a place on this site to see if anybody may want some of it?
Once again- thanks for your input. You guys obviously know a lot about this bike.

Markjaws
Brand New
Brand New

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Markjaws wrote:I have removed a bunch of very nice original equipment- is there a place on this site to see if anybody may want some of it?

Yes there is on the forum.

If you want to sell them for a fair price then place an ad in Yamaha Virago - items 4 Sale.

If you are not interested in making anything off of them, and want to give or sell really cheap, then place an ad in Pay It Forward Virago

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Markjaws wrote:Thanks guys- very helpful.
Back in the 70’s I raced flat track and I have always wanted a kick around bike that reminds me of times when I had bigger balls and less common sense. This xv1000 was in such marginal shape I didn’t feel too bad in changing her personality. I have raised the rear of the tank 3” to get a flatter appearance. It’s a great look. Using the existing fuel line loses me the the lower couple of inches of fuel on both sides of the tank. Therefore adding a petcock would also help me access some of that lost capacity. I have purchased a cheap XV750 petcock and I am working on fabricating a mounting plate to solder? Or braze? Or weld? Or JB Weld to the spot on the left side of the tank where there was once on some previous model a petcock.
I have ordered a Saddlemen Eliminator Flatrack seat & tail section and I am now modifying the subframe to accept this new look. I will be moving the footpegs and controls back 6” or so.
I have installed flat track handlebars. I plan to declutter the bug eyes and AIS system in the future.
Sounds Like like a ton of work and money but I’ve got lots of one of them.
Has anybody ever dropped the forks on one of these?
Also- I have removed a bunch of very nice original equipment- is there a place on this site to see if anybody may want some of it?
Once again- thanks for your input. You guys obviously know a lot about this bike.

the '85 is Generation-II and most of them don't have the "air system" assist on the front forks so they can be lowered pretty easily.

recommend you get a good service manual (if you don't have one already) - there are digital ones available on-site

just click on 'Forum' in the Board Navigation and you'll find our "classifieds" section, and "Items Wanted and 4 Sale". (both Virago and 'other/off topic')
if you don't find what you need there, you can do a post in the 'best' [most applicable] forum on what you're looking for.
(all 'new' posts show in the same place, so no need to post the same thing to more than one forum to get response)

take a few minutes and poke around in the B/Nav, you'll find all kinds of interesting things about XV in there. :naughty:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: JediKnox » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm in the process of attempting this as well...my fuel pump relay isn't working right so it's either spring for a 40$ relay and hope that fixes it or simplify the bike even further by deleting the fuel pump entirely....i understand you have to keep the relay for other reasons....what i was going to attempt is to remove the lower reserve tank and tap into the fuel line that feeds it, reduce it and add a manual shutoff valve or later even upgrade to an electrical type shutoff valve....been researching my @$$ off and searching these forums is a daunting task....hope you figure it out. I will post if I find a solution that works for me....

My understanding is that the carb (i have a single mikuni flatside) will still feed but may not empty the tank before starving for fuel....so I will have to keep an eye on that I realize....

I'm on my second Virago and both of them have been wiring nightmares....stripping parts off seems to work well enuff, plus it simplifies my roadside repairs....

JediKnox
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 XV750 Cafe Racer project.

PostAuthor: Markjaws » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:09 pm

Success! I have now added an aftermarket petcock to my XV1000 tank. I ordered a $30 petcock with 34mm mounting hole spacing- no vacuum- and I opted for a 5/16” feed. I sanded to bare metal the flat spot on the left underside of the tank. I cut a piece of 3/16” flat stock to just a bit larger than the petcock mounting bracket. I drilled and tapped my new adapter bracket for 6mm mounting screws and drilled holes to accept the primary and reserve feed tubes and filters.
I sanded the mounting bracket to bare metal and brought it and the tank to my local friendly radiator shop where they soldered the bracket to the undertank flat spot.
Not sure about this next step- you decide- but I submerged the whole tank in water- in a small stock tank- and drilled out the feed holes into the tank to match the holes in the adapter plate. (Didn’t want to risk a spark and loud noises). I blow dried the tank and then I rinsed the tank interior with gasoline a couple of times. A couple of shiny new 6mm screws and voila. I have pictures if anybody could help me figure out how to insert them.
The 5/16” feed and line worked well with a new 5/16” fuel filter and that fit well to the heavier fuel line that originally fed the carbs from the fuel pump.
I deleted the fuel level sensor on the right underside and fabricated a cover plate from the same 3/16” flat stock. I plugged the original fuel and vent lines.
I think it looks pretty elegant- and it still runs.

Markjaws
Brand New
Brand New

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1000