VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Pressure sensor etc.

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Pressure sensor etc.

PostAuthor: chryamaha » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:55 am

Hi

I am quite new here and my english/american language is not too good. I hope you can abstract from that.

I have had my bike since 2003 and have had fine time riding it. For personal reasons it has not been driving from 2010 until now, and now it started to misfire when I accelerate. I therefore cleaned my carburetors inside and are about to be finished with that. I mounted new carburetor holders but these are different from my old ones. On the front cylinder there was two connectors for tubes to the evaporation control system and to the pressure sensor. This kind of holder I cannot buy any longer and the company that sold it tells that I should simply insert a T-junction to compensate for the two connectors as the new ones only has one connector.

1. Can anyone help describing the purpose of this pressure sensor?

2. I have serious thoughts about removing the whole evaporation control system. Is there a problem in this (what about the pressure sensor)?

Best regards
Christian

chryamaha
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: YAMAHA XV1000 Virago (us model)
Sex: Male

Re: Pressure sensor etc.

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:09 am

Unless your country requires that the AIS/mcv remain intact, remove it... Plug the pipe holes on the exhaust ports using a 1/2 inch or equivalent copper end cap for a water pipe and use the original clamp and gasket that are there. Plug the vacuum line ports on the rear cylinder and then use the front port for the Pressure sensor.....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Howdy!

Welcome to VTF.

the vacuum assisted pressure sensor adjusts the ignition timing not addressed by the TCI - I believe at or just-off idle[?]

some say they have deleted it with no issue :con: but because the TCI can get cranky enough all alone, I left mine on my 1100, and never had problems with it.

as Bill suggests, if you can legally remove your MCV/AIS then do so [they are infamous for causing issues] and then you have the one vac. line needed for the P/S ---
other-wise using a "T" connection from the one line for both should be no problem.

with it not having been ridden in 8 years, make sure all your electrical connections are shiny & tight, too.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: chryamaha » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:12 am

I thank you so much for your quick and qualified answers to my questions.

I already have removed the system. XV1000 sold here are born without this system so it should not give me any problems. I save the parts for the good sake.

I am now trying to find something/a way to block the connection from the cylinder. Its 16 mm outside and 10 inside. I will find a solution for that.

I will also be aware of all electrical connections, and as far as I remember I have experienced problems related to the tachometer once. I will check that too.

Best regards
Christian

chryamaha
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: chryamaha » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:35 am

Hi

I just vented the carburetors and to do that I switched on ignition and the fuel pump started some few seconds. I drained some fuel from each carburetor. I then tried to start the engine but it didnt fire at all. The spark plug was dry so I knocked a bit on the carburetor housing but no result. I then drained one of the carburetors and there was no longer fuel in it. I now have to find out why the fuel pump do not start. The relay switch but the pump do not start.

Can anybody help me to find out why might stop the pump from running when the relay seem to work?

Chr.

chryamaha
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:43 am

chryamaha wrote:
I am now trying to find something/a way to block the connection from the cylinder. Its 16 mm outside and 10 inside. I will find a solution for that.

Best regards
Christian

Read the posts, man.... This was the first one.....
Plug the pipe holes on the exhaust ports using a 1/2 inch or equivalent copper end cap for a water pipe and use the original clamp and gasket that are there. Plug the vacuum line ports on the rear cylinder and then use the front port for the Pressure sensor.....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: chryamaha » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 am

Hi

I am sorry I was too quick, when I wrote my last post. I forgot to write that I have of course plugged the exhaust tubes and the vacuum line on the rear intake and connected the front vacauum line to the pressure sensor before I tryed to start the engine.

I started to drain the carburetors and the fuel pump only ran in some few seconds after I turned the ignition on then it stopped.
I then tried to start the engine with no result, not even a single firing. I took one of the spark plugs out and it was dry. Then I tried one more time to drain one of the carburetors and after one second there was no more fuel in it. Even then the fuel pump did not start.

So thats the situation now. What can be preventing the pump to start?

Chr.

chryamaha
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:46 am

The fuel pump is designed to run up to 5 seconds or until the fuel bowls are full before it stops. It is a demand pump and will run when the fuel level drops to a given level in the bowls or when the pressure drops...
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:59 am

In reference to what Bill has said, you probably will have to restart the pump several times by turning the key switch off and on to get the fuel bowls filled. You'll know when they're filled using that method because at that point, the pump will only give a couple of clicks when you turn the key on.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:38 am

chryamaha wrote:Then I tried one more time to drain one of the carburetors and after one second there was no more fuel in it. Even then the fuel pump did not start.

Sure sounds like the float needle is stick'n in the seat, bowl will not fill..pump will think the bowl is still full. General rule is tapping the float bowl with something will free the needle. But, if it stuck once..it will stick again, unless corrected. Might have to take the carbs out and polish the float seats with a polish compound, Q-tip in a drill. Float needle needs to fall outta seat just by gravity. Can be done with carbs still installed if ya gots a dremel with flex tip or something that will make the up-wards arc to reach the seat. Or, just buy a new needle and seat. Lotta times it's the rubber tip of the needle that hangs up, cuz of the years of use. Deforms in many ways. Seen the whole needle/seat/sealing washer for $10 on fleebay. And..that's even K&L. Probly one of the cheapest parts you find. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: chryamaha » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:36 am

Hi again

I have been quite busy for some days and therefore I havent neither worked with the engine nor been writing here.

Status is that after the engine has been left alone for many days I decided yesterday to try once more to turn the ignition on and luckily the pump started to run and after approx. the 5 seconds it stopped - just like expected the usual way. I then pushed the starter button and immediately the engine started and ran as fine as ever. No misfirings al all when I accelerate all the best.

The only reasonably answer is as that the float needles stuck in their seats and have became free during the many days since I last tried to start the engine. The reason for that might be temperature changes in the weather I quess. Never the less I am happy that the engine now runs.

I greatly appreciate all your good advice that I received quickly to all my answers. Thank you very much.

Best regards to all of you
Christian

chryamaha
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:53 pm

a *Seafoam Trick* might give you added confidence.

*Seafoam Trick = 1/2 can to fresh fill-up of known good-quality brand fuel, then ride until you need to re-fuel; repeat.
top off with quality [regular octane] before letting her rest.*

if Seafoam is not available a good quality fuel-system-cleaner additive will suffice such as ---
BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner.
Red Line Fuel Cleaner.
Liqui Moly 2007 Jectron.
STP Super Concentrated Fuel Injector.
Lucas 1 Gallon Fuel Treatment.
Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus.
Royal Purple Max Clean.
Gumout High Mileage Fuel Injector Cleaner.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1000