Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XV1000 84 odd spring in crankcase (pictures)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

XV1000 84 odd spring in crankcase (pictures)

PostAuthor: Mrljack » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 pm

Problem is, while opening the crank case to change the starter, a spring came off and I can't find where it come from.
It looks like it could be one of the six behind the flywheel. Although the flywheel seems well installed, it would be weird the spring just came off.
I linked pictures of the spring below. Could it be from elsewhere in the crankcase? I can't find anything in the manual related to this spring.
I did not disassemble the flywheel, since I want to be sure of its origin.
Thank you in advance!

Mrljack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 Xv1000 virago
Sex: Male

Re: XV1000 84 odd spring in crankcase (pictures)

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:25 am

Flywheel retainer springs&dowels.PNG
Damn...never heard of that one. Sure looks like it. Same number of twists and size. You got six on the right side, too. Off cam gear. Never had the (pleasure?) of breaking down this far, but thought there were same springs as retainer/shock springs. Only thing I've dug into on right side is clutch basket. Those springs in the drive gear (clutch basket), I thought were bigger. Been awhile. I don't want to get too deep in the weeds in an area I'm not all that familiar with on the right side. Hopefully someone with more experience this deep, will get chime in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:44 pm

with nothing for size reference, best guess is #3 ---> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... haft-chain
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Mrljack » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:31 pm

mark75 wrote:with nothing for size reference, best guess is #3 ---> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... haft-chain

Yes I think that would be the spring (90501-21133-00). It's about 1,1cm long by 0.9cm diameter. Thank you!

Now I have to figure out why it was out there... I think I won't have other choice than opening this thing some more.

Flyingdog wrote:Never had the (pleasure?) of breaking down this far

Changing the starter was the further I went so far! :P

Mrljack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 am

I'm guessing you already pulled the flywheel because that's where those springs are located. Otherwise the PO or prior service person left that spring out the last time the flywheel was R&R'ed. The flywheel and cam drive gear behind it should be pulled together to prevent the springs and dowels from spilling into the crankcase.
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1972 Mercedes 250C (project)

PostAuthor: Mrljack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:19 pm

chrismalm wrote:Otherwise the PO or prior service person left that spring out the last time the flywheel was R&R'ed.

That's also what we though but we just did removed the flywheel and all springs and pins are in place. Now I'm just guessing that the PO changed the flywheel and somehow left one spring inside the crankcase.

Mrljack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:46 am

Wow..good damn thing that (extra ?) spring was heavy enough not to get sucked up into the gears or anywhere else. It's hard enough to break some teeth or whatever.

Edit: Let's just hope that was a 'leftover' spring.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1000