Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

one cylinder backfiring

• Advertisement

Post a reply

one cylinder backfiring

PostAuthor: dukeaholic » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi, my 84 1000 all of a sudden started to backfire in the front cylinder when reving but the rear cylinder is working fine. i thought maybe the plug was gone but i put both new begining of this past summer. i replaced the front one anyway to see if it would fix it but it didnt. i then drained the the carbs but now the front cylinder isnt firing at all now.

what could my issue be? Thanks for any input.

dukeaholic
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 virago 1000
Sex: Male

Re: one cylinder backfiring

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:17 pm

Was it backfiring thru the exhaust or the carb? If it was the exhaust, it is getting too much fuel and the raw fuel is igniting in the exhaust due to the heat. If its backfiring thru the carb, it is running too lean. Could have been a stuck float.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: dukeaholic » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:28 am

it backfires out the exhaust when I try to review it but I can also hear it in the carb at idle.

dukeaholic
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm

check your vac lines are still soft - not cracked, also the carb manifolds. [some have o-ring seal that splits]

and as always make sure the battery is fully charged.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: BUT --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: dukeaholic » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks, i will check out a few of the things u guys listed on the weekend. not god at checking carbs tho. lol a friend of mine suggested that the carb may be the issue but i did notice a rubber hose conecting to the coil cover all cracked.

dukeaholic
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1000