VTF Google Search
 Click Here

TWO THINGS; OIL & FORK SEALS

• Advertisement

Post a reply

TWO THINGS; OIL & FORK SEALS

PostAuthor: bonestock3 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:14 pm

OIL...
Saturday 9/23 ; I ride out about 2;57am for a brew and general putting around town. I let bike idle a bit, when I hit the brisk highway the Oil light came on.. lasted a second and went off... I changed my route for a more local and monitored performance.. The light came on once more.. one second then went away. never came back on. Looked at the oil seemed to be within the lines.

Last night the oil light flashed and held about two seconds. I checked the oil and it looked lower (not significant) but I hadn't noticed any oil seeping. I added about half a Qt and brought the oil to the high line on the sight... Light never came on...

Just curious if anyone has had this before...
************************************************************************************************

Left side Fork seal popped.. debating taking to mechanic or tackling myself. Just want opinion on anyone that has done it, any pointers?

bonestock3
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1989 XV1100 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: TWO THINGS; OIL & FORK SEALS

PostAuthor: bonestock3 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Also, any good kits for fork seals?

bonestock3
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:31 pm

well. there is this ---> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=34644

you could try that, or replace over the winter. ---> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=21097

I would replace the oil with 15wt for a firmer ride.

TIP: if you replace them, loosen the lower damper-rod bolt [bottom tip-end of forks] before anything else - Gen-II doesn't have drain-plug/anything to hold it in place, unlike most Gen-I
if it [DRB] doesn't come loose (spins in place), you will have to make a "special" tool to hold it from inside [~19mm 12 pt] but a tapered broom stick will work [red neck DIY]
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:10 am

:yup:

Sounds like your oil level was just low in the first place. And..taking off or accellerating was slosh'n the oil to the back, tripping your oil level sensor. Doesn't hurt anything to fill the case to top of sight glass. (Hint: just don't fill it to the bottom of oil fill access hole. haha --I've heard people have done this)

On your fork seals. Not hard, just atad intensive. If all possible on your damping rod bolt (very bottom of slider tube), if you have access to a impact gun, help out alot. The sudden turning force, usually, will break that bolt (allen) free. Or sometimes you can put a allen socket w/breaker bar and a good smack with a hammer will also break that bolt free. You can try this with or without taking the wheel off (but put the axle rod back on) to keep things from turning when trying to break the bolt free. Leave the springs in place too. This is all, if you leave the forks on the bike, naturally.
Oh yea..just be mindful, when slipping new seals over stanchion tubes, cover the tube ends with plastic. Keeps the edges of the tubes from nicking the seals when you slide them on.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bonestock3 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:22 pm

I had a shop replace the seals and springs, they charged $250, figured was best for turnaround time and increase riding.
Had em change the rear shoes while she was there.

Thanks FlyingDog for the info on the oil sensor, had me a bit panicky to think I might cause harm to engine.

bonestock3
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: 68guns » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 am

My left fork seal was leaking. I made the little slidey-tool from a milk carton. I was way surprised! No more leak. There's a YouTube vid of the process.
- Jerry

68guns
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 85 XV1000

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Yea..that's a neat little trick we use to do on our dirt bikes back in the sixties. Cept we used old camera film.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1000