Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Gas coming out exhaust, Fuel Light and Reserve System

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Gas coming out exhaust, Fuel Light and Reserve System

PostAuthor: Coyote251 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Sorry for jamming this all in one post. I've only had this bike for a few weeks now, its an 85. It has run great every time I've had it out, was out this weekend and put about 150km on it, no issues. I went to go for a run tonight just to go up to the store and had a series of problems.

I was starting it cold so I cranked the choke on and let it warm up. When I was getting ready to go I noticed liquid coming out of the exhaust pipes. At least I'm pretty sure that is where it was coming out of. I wheeled back into the garage started up again and looked around for leaks any where else but I'm pretty sure it was coming out of the pipes. I shut the choke off, and started the bike again no fuel coming out anymore, but lots of smoke so I let it run a little bit, I didn't hear any strange noises and it seemed to be running normally. I figured I would still take it for a spin to clear any gas that was still in the cylinders (as I am assuming that it was flooding if there was gas coming out of the pipes). Everything ran good for about 15 minutes and then it went dead. Played with the choke a bit, flipped the fuel reserve switch to the on position and it was trying to start but wouldn't catch and stay running. At this point I was hoping it was just a case of being out of gas. A good Samaritan stopped and gave me a lift home where I grabbed a jug of gas and jumped in the truck and went back to the bike. Put some gas in it and cranked it over and it started. So I drove the bike home, it seemed to be running fine. After I hitched back and picked up my truck, I put it up on the center stand in the garage and started it again. Everything seemed to be running good, checked the exhaust, looked for fuel coming out anywhere, there were no noises, everything seemed to be running fine. So I am chalking this up to flooding the engine and running out of gas. My questions:

1) Should I be concerned with the gas coming out of the pipes with the choke on? If so what do I need to check? Like I said it stopped with the choke of and the bike seemed to be running fine. Its definitely concerning me as I have never seen this or heard of it before. I'm a little hesitant to venture to far if I have to worry about an future problem.
2) If my biggest issue was running out of fuel then the gas light isn't working, what do I need to check? This definitely needs to be resolved.
3) Shouldn't I have had enough fuel in reserve that when I turned the handlebar fuel switch on, I should have been able to start the bike and got it home? This is also something I need to have working.
Last edited by Coyote251 on Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in treating everyone with respect, but, first you have to get their attention.
Coyote251
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 Virago XV1000
Sex: Male

Re: Gas coming out exhaust, Fuel Light and Reserve System

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:03 am

could be condensation, maybe? [note cars when they cold start - drips/smoke]

keep an eye on your oil level, if it rises above where it should be, you could have a stuck float valve and possibly putting gas into the oil which could kill your engine [seized bearings]
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: ---
--- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely :bike:

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 am

A 'kinda' related situation. I was doing some maintenance stuffs on the bikes last spring. Changed fork oil, as I haven't in a few years. I've never used anything above 10w, but this time around I tried 15w fluid for sh*ts & giggles. In a bone-headed move, I misread the fluid level (as in waaay too much). When everything was but back together, I got on the bike and compressed the front end a few times. Whoa!! That sure seemed stiff. Didn't realize how blessed stiff it was, until I took her for alittle test ride to the gas station. Was looking at something, when I hit a crack in the road. Well...needless to say, you'd swear I was on a hard tail. The bike bounced..I bounced, she started sputtering bad and died. Pulled off to the side and started crank'n. Looked back, and like you, saw gas pouring outta the front cylinder exhuast. Naturally didn't have a single tool with me. Was pondering walking back home to get the trailer. After a few more tries and what seemed like a gallon of gas pouring out the pipe, the bike fired, but only rear cylinder. Crap, but sure beats walking, I took off on one cylinder. Didn't have too far to go before I'd hit down hill and could coast the rest of the way. On the way, I did an old trick I've done in the past and reached down, pulled the spark plug cap off the plug a tad. To get a hotter spark. You could feel it starting to fire. Finally did. Got it home. Funny thing, after checking things over (mainly oil level), I never pulled the float bowls to have a look-see. I can only assume that massive jolt caused the float needle to hang off it's seat for whatever reason. Guess I was more concerned to get those forks back to normal. Did get forks back on 10w and checked fuel level in float bowls via the clear tube method. Since then, done some hard riding in the mountains. Runs like a banshee. On a side note: Even though, all my fuel still runs thru the sub-tank, I haven't had a reserve switch for twenty years. It's not even in the handlebar cluster. I've only got three switches on the bars. Hi/Lo, kill & starter switch. Oh wait..I lied..still have the horn button, but don't work..all my wiring is in the bars and never got around to fix'n it...heh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:14 pm

@ Coyote251 will you give us an up-date?

a FWIW, "choke" aka "enricher" does add extra fuel ...

:olcoot: --- don't trust reserve lights or any reminder light, or so-called "idiot-light", always verify and be certain.

know your "usual" MPG and keep a running estimate in your head of fuel consumption & quantity left - even an odometer can break, because the 'middle-of-nowhere' is a long walk, made even longer if you're pushing a bike with an empty fuel tank.

I learned that lesson in July 1963 when I ran out of gas after midnight between Galveston, and Port Arthur, TX.
there was absolutely nothing in between then except swamps, mosquitoes, and a lot of darkness.
fortunately a good Samaritan [with his date] saved me the 4-5 hour push into town by loading my Honda CA150 into the trunk of his Buick.

@ Flyingdog - just my opinion, next time; give the 15wt another try, at the correct amount [700=13.4oz / 396ml each tube. 1100=12.5oz / 372ml]
the heavier oil gives an improved handling feel. it reduces the 'spongy' feel/dip.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: ---
--- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely :bike:

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Thanks..but I tried various amounts/levels with the 15w. Starting with the recommend amount. Then stepping 1/2 oz. at a time. Just never liked it. Switch back to 10w and 1 1/4 oz over recommended. Bingo...with my preload tubes...just right, for me.

Tell me bout running outta gas...only happened once on the Virago. Usually pretty good estimating distance and mileage. as I don't have any low fuel warning . On one particular road trip though, the bike was so loaded down, it looked like a VW. Had a pretty good size wind screen and one hel-a-va head wind. Totally miscalculated and sputtered to a stop bout 4 miles from the gas station. Hell...I could see the sign. So I push about 1/4 mi., then sat. Then pushed..then sat.. etc etc etc. And..of coarse, this just had to be uphill. The grade wasn't too bad, but when you're loaded down, 105°in Nebraska..and a slight uphill slant, might as well be push'n up a full fledged mountain. Cutting to the chase, some westbound semi (I was heading east) stopped, man ran across the median and gave me a milk jug of gas. He had passed me as I was push'n, went to the station and doubled back with the gas. I met him at different truck stop down the road and bought him dinner. But yea...it's always a plus to acquire that 6th sense on how far ya can go in any given situation.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Coyote251 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:20 pm

So I finally found the problem. I have been having some major backfiring issues on deceleration and one cylinder that has been running way to lean. So I finally ordered carburetor rebuild kits, and new jets. Tonight I went out to get the carb's out and get them soaking, so I can get them rebuilt when the new jets come in. When I took the bowl off the left side carburetor I noticed that the float was all cockeyed. After a bit of inspection I found that the post that holds the pivot pin for the float was broken and the pin was bent. The floats weren't moving well at all. I suspect that the floats got stuck open when I had the problem of the gas coming out the pipe. After that the float was most likely stuck almost closed, and that is why that cylinder has been running so lean. Now to find a carburetor body for that side!!!
I believe in treating everyone with respect, but, first you have to get their attention.
Coyote251
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:27 am

Wow..broke post would definitely ruin your day. Wonder how the heck a force like that would happen. Unless someone, at some point, didn't notice it broke tapping the pin back in. Like, if the float was replaced 'with' the carbs still on the bike. Guess, then I could see it. Not getting that pin lined up with the holes as yer whacking on it. lol
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Coyote251 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:50 am

Flyingdog wrote:Wow..broke post would definitely ruin your day. Wonder how the heck a force like that would happen. Unless someone, at some point, didn't notice it broke tapping the pin back in. Like, if the float was replaced 'with' the carbs still on the bike. Guess, then I could see it. Not getting that pin lined up with the holes as yer whacking on it. lol

I hadn't thought of that, I was more thinking that someone dropped it or something and then stuck it back together anyways. It definitely happened when the carb was apart because there were no metal pieces in the bowl. The other post isn't in very good shape either, so whatever was happening they weren't being gentle.

Coyote251
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:14 pm

:doh: Crap..one of those senior moments..forgot it was the left/outside post. You're most likely right bout him being alittle ham-fisted. Somebody probly figured nobody would see this. I'll just hide it under the float bowl. Hope you score something, soon.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Nice looks like you scored. And a spare to boot.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:33 am

How did things work out?
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Coyote251 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Flyingdog wrote:How did things work out?

Not so great. Got the carbs all cleaned up, and rebuilt. Put them back on the bike tonight and the thing is blowing gas out of both cylinders from the intake and exhaust. I will need to check the float heights tomorrow.

The problem I am having now is that I bought a jet kit for the bike and they sent me 3 pilots (30,35,40) and 2 main jets (50). The mains go in the port and screw into the emulsion tube but for the life of me I cannot figure out where the pilots jets go. There is a tube in the carb where I would expect the pilot to be, and where the parts breakdown shows it but there is no way I can see to replace the actual jet like the main.

I got the carbs out on the bench again, I thought maybe I had left a jet out, but looked through the old parts bags from both sets of carburetors and there was only 1 set of jets which are the mains.

The parts breakdown below shows it as an actual screw in jet (#48) but in the picture above of the broken carb you can see that it is just a fixed post. Got any ideas??

Coyote251
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Wrote ya back under your HSC40 Jets....thread.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1000