Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Oil Level in 85 XV100

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Oil Level in 85 XV100

PostAuthor: Coyote251 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:00 pm

I've been noticing that the oil light comes on when the bike is warming up on the side stand. So not a big deal, I let the bike warm up tonight and then looked at the sight glass. The oil level looks low to me but the issue is that I don't see any fill lines. On my old bike there were 2 actual lines across the sight glass for the high and low mark. The only thing that I notice on this bike are 2 "holes" on the plate that you see in the sight glass. One of the holes looks like it is about 1/4 of the sight glass and the other is about 3/4 approximately. Are these the level marks? When the bike is warmed up and stood up level where should the oil level be? Its not so much knowing where the low level is, I just want to put a bit of oil in it but don't want to put to much.

I tried to get a picture but it was really hard to get a light on the sight glass, hold my phone to take a picture and hold the bike up at the same time. These were the best 2 I could get, but i think the bike had cooled down quite a bit and I'm not sure how plumb I was holding it when the picture got snapped. I would say that the level I was seeing when not trying to take a picture was about 1/2 as high as these show.

Last edited by Coyote251 on Wed May 17, 2017 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
I believe in treating everyone with respect, but, first you have to get their attention.
Coyote251
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 Virago XV1000
Sex: Male

Re: Oil Level in 85 XV100

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 am

the oil sensor is of the 'level' type so check your oil on a level surface with center-stand [give it a couple 'a minutes to let the oil scavenge back into the gallery if its be running]

the level/line should be about mid -"window". 1/4 to 3/4 is with-in parameters.
leaning and/or accelerating will activate the light sometimes.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Coyote251 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:43 am

mark75 wrote:the oil sensor is of the 'level' type so check your oil on a level surface with center-stand [give it a couple 'a minutes to let the oil scavenge back into the gallery if its be running]

So you are saying to check the oil on the center stand? I tried that last night and there was a significant difference in the oil level. The pics in the OP are of the bike sitting on the level ground, with me holding it plumb. On the center stand the oil level was over the top of the little notch you can see in the picture.
I believe in treating everyone with respect, but, first you have to get their attention.
Coyote251
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 Virago XV1000

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Coyote251 wrote:
mark75 wrote:the oil sensor is of the 'level' type so check your oil on a level surface with center-stand [give it a couple 'a minutes to let the oil scavenge back into the gallery if its be running]

So you are saying to check the oil on the center stand? ...

yep.
that's what the manual says do, and the 'easiest' way to be fairly sure you're level & plumb. [that being the normal riding attitude/stance; also explains why light comes on with leans, turns, hills, & acceleration]
after awhile ya' tend to ignore the light when you are certain the level is correct [post PMS/oil change] & riding/oriented on level road.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1000