Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Starting issues.

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Starting issues.

PostAuthor: Bionicman05 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 pm

So I bought a bike. I was impressed by the engine, it's power, and pretty much everything about the bike. I found one for cheap. The catch is it wasn't running. No big deal, I've done this before. Had to retire the motor and replace the battery. Now, I'm having an issue. I have replaced the relay that controls the fuel pump, but the fuel pump doesn't engage.

My question, what are some common problems. Has anybody had this issue. Should I move to an aftermarket fuel pump and do I need to bypass the original electrical system.

Bionicman05
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 virago xv1000
Sex: Male

Re: Starting issues.

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 pm

One thing at a time! Why did you change the relay? It controls several other things besides the fuel pump. Is everything else working OK? I would verify the wiring to the pump is good.....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
1999 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Touring

PostAuthor: Bionicman05 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:21 pm

the hazard lights don't work, and the blinkers were intermittent. There was corrosion on 2 of the pins on the relay that I cleaned off for good voltage and current check, and 2 of the wires in the connector on the harness had to be replaced because of the build up of corrosion as well. For some reason, while this relay is plugged in, I continuously blow out the 10 amp fuse that controls the starter.

Bionicman05
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Bionicman05 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:58 pm

update,

so my blinkers don't like to work for some reason, I am going to take apart the switch and see if the problem is buildup on the contacts. other than that, I put a new fuse in the panel for the starter circuit and unplugged the fuel up, low and behold, nothing happened. so it is my belief that the fuel pump is bad, and the resistance in the circuit from it is blowing out my fuses.

How do I check it?

Bionicman05
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1000