Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Requesting help for a POSSIBLE engine issue 2013 xvs 650

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Requesting help for a POSSIBLE engine issue 2013 xvs 650

PostAuthor: Captain J » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Just bought a 2013 vstar 650 custom with 3200 miles on it.

All seems well, however I noticed something that puzzled me.

After 10mins warming up (VERY cold natured) the front cylinder was hot could not keep my hands on the tins, the rear I could keep my hand on the cooling tins, exhaust pulse from the bottom exhaust pipe was very strong, the pulse from the top pipe wasn't very strong.

Seemed to run fine after throttle was applied.

Is this a problem? Or rather is this a normal indication on an aircooled vtwin? I'm still new at this, but that seemed strange that one cylinder was very hot and the other was merely warm, one pulse was strong, and the other was maybe half as strong. Front exhaust pipe is golden, also.

Possible carb problem? Idle mixture?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Accept what comes, follow what goes, hit what's left.

2018 Yamaha V-Star 250 (xv250j)

Captain J
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2018 Yamaha V-Star 250 (xv250j)
Sex: Male

Re: Requesting help for a POSSIBLE engine issue 2013 xvs 650

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:27 am

I'm not all that familiar with any of the V-Stars, but just the fact that you mentioned the pulses even out applying throttle indicates the pilot screw #5 could be set atad lean at idle. Are they accessible or do they have the safety plug still installed? You could mark your screwdriver with a dab of paint or nail polish and try turning that one open and see if that one cylinder catches up with the constant firing cylinder. Reason for the dab of paint, so you can observe how far you turned the screw and be able to turn it back, before moving on to something else. I'm sure someone more familiar will jump in here. Noticed also, the carb uses those fuel cut off solenoids #40. Something that could be checked. You could also, when idle'n, try pulling spark plug cap slightly off plug, see it it fire more consistently. It does look like you can take the float bowls off (without taking carb off bike) and squirt some carb cleaner w/compressed air, thru the pilot circuit, making sure it's clear. Then again, could be something as simple as a fouled plug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Captain J » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:07 pm

What does #35 screws on the carb diagram above do? That's where the rear carb is leaking from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Captain J
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Captain J » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:12 pm

In addition, both plugs were fouled, I have replaced, but that didn't help at all with the symptoms.

I have let it run for awhile and it seems to level out, it's at least rideable however that leak from those 2 screws on the rear carb does trouble me. I have tightened them in a bit, but they strip way too easily, it eased up the leaking a bit. Another thing I noticed, after it warms up it doesn't appear to be leaking much, if at all.

A local shop has assured me they can fix it, now just have to wait on funds. Just sux I'm not able to ride it due to the weather and this mess.

If I can reassure that the rear carb is not leaking I may ride it around when the weather clears.

Captain J
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:45 am

As I said..not familiar with those carbs, but looking at the pic, you can see a nipple below the far right screw and it's wet. Parts listing shows those screws as drain screws. Apparently that's what is leaking. Not sure why there are (2) screws per float bowl without having the carbs infront of me.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Captain J » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 am

After some research I found the info on those drain screws. I tightened them up best I could and the leak has apparently stopped.

After a long warmup, and plug change it's running much better.

I'm actually thinking at this point, it's been sitting up and the carbs are gummed up pretty bad. I may try that youtube trick with the seafoam and let sit over night and see what happens, will be cheaper than $300 at the shop.

Captain J
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to XVS650