Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Brake stay/torque arm that will clear wide tire

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Brake stay/torque arm that will clear wide tire

PostAuthor: briandk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:35 am

Swapping my rear tire, I mostly focused on chain clearance and kind of forgot about the brake stay / torque arm that prevents the brake drum plate from spinning.

This thing:

I'm running a 170/60 17" rear tire and I need about 1-2 cm extra to clear the wheel. I've tried to see if I could do it with spacers and I can gain a few millimeters on the point where it anchors to the brake plate, but on the frame the mount point is a crevice which makes it hard to do right. Instead I've been considering fabricating a new bar with bends in it like this:

If I make this from 3-4mm thick and about 25mm wide steel, how likely is it that this will stretch/break under stress when braking and kill me?

briandk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 83 TR1
Sex: Male

Re: Brake stay/torque arm that will clear wide tire

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:03 am

Fabricating a new torque arm is your only choice. Curious where the 17 inch rim came from>
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: briandk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:23 am

bstig60 wrote:Fabricating a new torque arm is your only choice. Curious where the 17 inch rim came from>

It's a chain driven bike (TR1), so I'm running a Honda CB750 hub with a wider rim laced onto it. There are some details about it here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58098&sid=9ec80cd04620219dd133453b729f2ed1#p477250

briandk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Tubing would be a better, more rigid, choice of materials. If I had to use flat bar, I'd likely weld in a gusset at each of the bends on the outside to stiffen it up. I'm not an expert by any means, just a couple thoughts.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:04 am

:yup:

Was thinking close to same thing. But was wondering if one could cut off and weld in new clevis type thing with a fairly thick walled steel sleeve on the front end. Sleeve (w/harden bolt) long enough to clear tire, then Z-bend back to brake plate, once you clear the tire. There, you could gusset the inside of the Z-bend. This way you'd only have one bend. I would think, since the torque forces would be "pull'n", they wouldn't be as stressful as if they were "push'n" on the rod/bar. And..any lateral flex would be eliminated "cuz" of this pull'n rather than push'n. :;:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: briandk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:10 am

Flyingdog wrote::yup:

Was thinking close to same thing. But was wondering if one could cut off and weld in new clevis type thing with a fairly thick walled steel sleeve on the front end. Sleeve (w/harden bolt) long enough to clear tire, then Z-bend back to brake plate, once you clear the tire. There, you could gusset the inside of the Z-bend. This way you'd only have one bend. I would think, since the torque forces would be "pull'n", they wouldn't be as stressful as if they were "push'n" on the rod/bar. And..any lateral flex would be eliminated "cuz" of this pull'n rather than push'n. :;:

I'm trying to imagine the force direction in my head with a little difficulty, but won't they always be pulling and trying to stretch the bar? I like the idea of only one bend though,

I saw Cognito moto went with the Z bends on their CB550, but I don't know how much that bike is just for show vs. riding.

I was thinking if I add some flatbar pieces cut in triangles and weld them perpendicular to the bar at the bends like this, that it might better the design

briandk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:49 am

Yes, "gussets".
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Fabrication / Welding Shop