VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Brazing Mudguard Mounts (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Brazing Mudguard Mounts (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Bosch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Hey all,

Im really struggling with some brazing and was wondering if you guys could help me. Im using a small hand help propane torch for mild steel. They're quite small pieces, so just a small bung that being welded onto a rod which is 10mm onto a 12mm rod. ive used the silver brazing rods but they cost a fortune it seem to work okay just that there are quite a few joins to make. So thought Id use the sifbronze brazing rods however the rods don't seem to melt. The steel get red hot but no luck on getting the braze rod to melt. Is it because the propane torch just doesn't get hot enough? its quite a wide flame from the torch end.

any advice would be helpful.

Bosch
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 TR1
Sex: Male

Re: Brazing Mudguard Mounts

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Try MAPP gas.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Bernzomatic TS-4000 minimum ---> https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products/Ha ... Off/TS4000
way better than the basic torch, well worth the extra $.
you'll notice the difference with the first use. it seems like 3 'basic' torches in one.

using MAPP even better.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Bosch » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:26 pm

any recommended rods?

I might just bite the bullet and get a small portable oxy acetylene.. £100 not so bad im sure it will be useful in the future

Bosch
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:32 pm

IMO brazing is part science, part art. properly done it is nearly as strong as weld.

rather than immersing yourself in metal minutiae, try brass-rod samples from well-known brand names to see which you like best.

using a 'name' brand will assure you that the rods will meet consistent quality standards, be readily available, and therefore get repeatable results.

be sure to do your homework on acetylene because it can be more hazardous than LPG/butane.

oxygen will boost heat level produced by any of the gasses.

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:55 pm

I've used coat hangers for rods with oxy/acetylene. Maybe that's "gas welding" rather than "brazing"? Price is right, but with the advent of plastic hangers, supply is becoming scarce, so I have a good stash of them in my garage. :-)
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:54 am

Yea..I heard that somewhere, using coat hangers for filler, in a pinch. But also remember something bout them not getting hard enough. Who knows..guess I'm just a believer in using what is made for whatever you're doing. Or...do without until ya can...... except maybe on a lawn mower or swing set... :bg: Mud flap mounts?...Eh..I suppose, long as it doesn't bother ya if it/they maybe fall off. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:43 pm

Bosch wrote:Hey all,

Im really struggling with some brazing and was wondering if you guys could help me. Im using a small hand help propane torch for mild steel. They're quite small pieces, so just a small bung that being welded onto a rod which is 10mm onto a 12mm rod. ive used the silver brazing rods but they cost a fortune it seem to work okay just that there are quite a few joins to make. So thought Id use the sifbronze brazing rods however the rods don't seem to melt. The steel get red hot but no luck on getting the braze rod to melt. Is it because the propane torch just doesn't get hot enough? its quite a wide flame from the torch end.

any advice would be helpful.

yeah, i've had that, too sometimes. the "art" part of brazing vs "science" - keeping the base metal hot enough to accept the brass as you melt it with-out 'cooking' either.
get your base metal hot, plenty of flux/boric acid, then put your brass into the flame and heat it at the same time. [brass is a bit higher melt than silver]

I always had better luck with a pot of 'flux' to dab hot braze-rod into vs only coated-rods ... to 'nudge/scuff' the joint. if it's hot and fluxed, it'll flow almost like a copper-pipe joint.
used air-acetylene Prest-O-lite torch with #3 or #4 tip ...

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: uncleromo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 pm

:yup:
Brazing is using brass rod to join steel parts, can be done with MAPP gas but oxy/acetylene works better, more concentrated flame. Regardless of the heat source flux is required for brazing. You can buy brazing flux or flux coated brass rod. Once the brass is on the steel though you are committed to brazing. You cannot weld to the brass and it’s a b**** to get off. Coat hanger can be used to weld mild steel quite successfully, it is mild steel. Professionals will flame you for using coat hanger but as long as it is clean, all paint and/or lacquer removed, it will work fine. Not so good for chrome moly or other high strength alloys.
UR

XV 981J
uncleromo
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920J

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 am

Uncle Remo, thanks for the vindication on the coat hangers. I know it works, used lots of it on my dirt track street stocker replacing war wounds on the body skins back in the day. Nowadays I use a mig welder.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Bosch » Fri May 31, 2019 9:08 am

Success! 3D printed mount on the front part that the rod slots in saved some work! but all brazed the back. couple more more to do. Easy with the right tools! Thanks all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bosch
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Fabrication / Welding Shop