Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

'82 XV750SE Cafe - The Flying Anvil - a work in progress

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: '82 XV750SE Cafe - The Flying Anvil - a work in progress

PostAuthor: Naspc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am

Not a fan usually of that type of flairing. But that looks bad @$$!
1982 Virago xv750 In progress
Rebuilt Carb with dyno jet kit and pilot jet enlarged with a #76 bit removed Currently running with a stock XV750 Carburetor.
Front End conversion: YZF R6, forks, woodcraft clip-ons D12 grips, throttle, brake and clutch levers done
Acewell 3915 speedo & tach: done
Starter: Box'O'Rocks - Dr. Virago Pete Fix done(still sound like crap)
4 brush starter: Arrowhead SMU0072 done
Air Box to Pod Conversion done
ACCEL Super Coil 140408BK & New Plug Wires with NGK Caps done
Autolite ap63 Spark Plugs done
Ballistic Lithium Ion Battery Evo2 12 done
Grounding Mod done
SirDocWolf 2nd Gen rear wheel conversion 150/90/15 done
BareBone Wiring Harness with Motogadget M-Unit, M-swithces and mini M-swithcesdone
Realm Ram Mono Shock done
This is my Experience:
Naspc
Jr Mod
Jr Mod

Bike year & model: Customized 1982 Virago XV750
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 am

Think of it as a Euro style bagger.. here's the inspiration:
IMG_5132.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:35 am

I put some 45mm spacers in the top of the forks last weekend as well as readjusted the valves as the front ones were definitely off and quite noisy. Result: better starting and better preload on the forks, I'll have to do the forks again as there seems to be hardly any oil in there, also might go to a slightly more viscous oil and up the volume slightly to counter the considerable braking dive. I have lost the tach display below about 5000rpm and still have to mount the gps sensor a bit better as it keeps popping loose from it's current holding. Other than that roll on the good weather.

Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

1983 XV750SE CAFE/BRAT - 1981 TR1.1NCENT PROJECT - 1982 XV750/920 upgrade SIDECAR PROJECT w. WATSONIAN MONACO CHAIR
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:32 pm

So the fairing is mounted and rigid enough for riding, added supplemental bracing, I still have to sort the oil level in the forks and I had to replace the clutch perch as it had dropped the fixing bolt because of a stripped tread.

Rode it up and down the farm track, feels odd because I can't see what the front is doing but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I love the look tried setting the hard cases up besides but felt they didn't look right so they're staying off for now.

I might make a single wheel trailer and fit them to that. I still have a few swirl pattern wheels I could use..
ImageImageImage

1983 XV750SE CAFE/BRAT - 1981 TR1.1NCENT PROJECT - 1982 XV750/920 upgrade SIDECAR PROJECT w. WATSONIAN MONACO CHAIR
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:37 pm

That fairing looks like it can make side-winds interesting :o:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:39 pm

faffi wrote:That fairing looks like it can make side-winds interesting :o:

They were banned from official racing for that reason however that was back in the day when bikes were much lighter and going at non road legal speeds.

I don't want to particularly go faster but am hoping for decent wind and weather protection and maybe better fuel economy.

I would think I have no more surface area than one of those giant BMW tourers or a HD bagger...

rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:12 am

When it comes to aerodynamics, the tail is more important than the fairing. For protection, it's the other way around, of course. Still, the shape of that fairing should help both saving fuel and increasing comfort.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sun May 13, 2018 11:28 am

So in pre MOT checking everything over I discovered my 18” rear wheel to be no good although I ran it for about a year I never noticed how it has a serious sideways wobble and no it’s not the tyre.. :( so I refitted the 16” but then had issues with the look so I tried a 17” front which has a lower profile tyre fitted but that pu too much weight on my wrists as I am recovering from a bit of RSI, it did allow me to fit the fork brace I had knocking about so after much bolting, fairing off, calliper off, front wheel off, clip ons flipped and indicators moved I decided to set it up with the 19” front and 18” rear wheels with the scrambler tyres on from when I was going to turn the spares bike into a scrambler. I liked having the fork brace on the front though but didn’t fancy running without a mudguard so I fabbed up some mudguard stays today to take a cheap aluminium mudguard I had originally bought for the TR1.1 project. I couldn’t help farkeling it up a little while I was waiting for the paint to dry.. I must say I am rather pleased with the result. The fairing will go back on when I sort out the set of street wheels, slow puncture in the front, rear wants a replacement, might save up and go spoked..

Pics:ImageImageImageImage
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: disabledvet » Sun May 13, 2018 12:55 pm

That is really cool and an awesome job considering all the mods it has gone through.
disabledvet
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha Virago 750

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sun May 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks, I see far too many carbon copies of Hageman subframe with Benelli tank, rear to front wheel conversion or the old Cognito Moro R1 front end conversion and the rear sets at the passenger peg position. Well I had a subframe as high set as the Hageman version and it was too high, it felt unstable and tippy. I had the rear set setup on the rear peg position and it felt like I was trying to sit in my ball sack, putting weight over the front with low clip ons or smaller front wheel also felt uncomfortable, sort of the reverse of the original handlebars which just felt like I was trying to steer holding the end of a fishing rod.

I haven’t actually ridden it in the last 3-4 years so I’ll see how this rides if it works great if not I’ll ditch the clip ons and switch to a flat tracker style bar..I am looking forward to putting the fairing back on once I have my bike legs back..

Cheers,

Rant.
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: disabledvet » Sun May 13, 2018 3:51 pm

I can see that you have your unique ideas that you would like to do. I've thought about some of the mods I would do on my 81 750 and that would be to custom make a replica of an early Arlen Ness diamond front end shortened with the springs and the rockers down by the tire instead of the traditional springs on a springer tripletree. I would bob out the rearend, and add a tear drop headlight, and change the gas tank. So far though I have managed to take that bike you see in the avatar and I removed the side emblems from the tank filled them in sanded'em smooth, new gloss black spray can job, a set of purple flames and half dozen coats of clear. The chrome on the fender lost the battle against my sander and is now black w/ purple flames, no more chrome on the rear fender either. I'll try to get a picture posted as I have one in my phone.
disabledvet
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha Virago 750

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun May 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Interesting! You mentioned a 17in front wheel - what would that be off?
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat May 19, 2018 9:11 am

faffi wrote:Interesting! You mentioned a 17in front wheel - what would that be off?

Hi Faffi, I wasn't deliberately ignoring you but ever since my laptop broke I have been using Tapatalk which works fine for all the ADV forum stuff but only seems to notify me on the VTF stuff when I log in via Firefox on another device..??

The 17" front is off a Yamaha WR125X , same axle diameter and disc size, so only correct spacing is required to fit.. calliper has to be fitted at the same time as wheel as the rim is too wide/close to fit otherwise.
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: faffi » Sat May 19, 2018 2:10 pm

faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Fabrication / Welding Shop