VTF Google Search
 Click Here

How To Set Up Handicap Foot Controls?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

How To Set Up Handicap Foot Controls?

PostAuthor: Vladymere gr » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Fellows,

I have been working on my shed queen 1982 XV750 Virago off and on for about three years. I have it at a point that it could be put on the road. I then found one impassable problem. I can't ride my bike because of my handicap. What a bummer.

My ankles on both feet have been fused. I can not raise and lower the tips of my feet so I cannot activate the rear brake or shift gears.

Additionally my feet turn out so they don't make contact with the shift pedal or the brake pedal. This can be overcome. I was working on forward controls that would allow me sit comfortably and have the pedals extended further out from the sides so my feet could contact the pedals when I realized that being unable to articulate my feet means I cannot operate the extended pedals.

Any thoughts on how I can over come this disability? I think I could operate a foot clutch so I could make a suicide shifter but I don't know what to do about the rear brake.

Attached is a photos showing how my feet are in their natural position.

Vlad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vladymere gr
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: How To Set Up Handicap Foot Controls?

PostAuthor: Vladymere gr » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:50 pm

I was sitting astride my steed and I'm getting some ideas for controls. I would need to mount my pegs about where the shift pedal and brake pedal are. I could then, for the brake, make a pedal close in front of the of the stationary pedal that I can slide my heel up to and operate the brake pedal with my heel.

The shifter would have to be pedal assembly with two arms, like a heel/toe pedal, that I could slide my foot forward from the stationary pedal and bang the two arms with my heel to do the one down and four up.

We'll see what I come up with.

Still looking for input though.

Vlad

Vladymere gr
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:08 pm

perhaps some redesign of forward controls??

DIY templates are available on site.
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... bec1f9fc6f

if you have problems with that post, maybe ask Jake for help. I think he has it all fixed.

this is one from beginning, but I don't know if pics are there. ---> http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... e2302449e0
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: eslmatt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 am

Your ideas of controlling the pedals would work, but I fear that it might be dangerous in a panic situation. Finding neutral might also be a pain. You could mount the clutch on the jockey shifter. (apparently the suicide part was the clutch design)

some thoughts...

In china you can get a disk brake conversion kit. Basically a ring locks in your Drum, adds a disk and a bracket holds on the calipers. Then you connect to your front hydraulic system, with a small disk in the rear you should not need to worry about locking. Aftermarket abs is also available here (not sure if I trust it). I have the disk conversion on my Chinese bike's front wheel. Works great. I was thinking of liking my front and rear brakes because I have a hard time moving the pedal... I have a different issue, I am 6'8, the rear brake was just uncomfortable. My solution was to raise the bike 3 inches and drop the pegs 4".
Chinese web store (use goggle chrome to translate if you care what it says, there are other models for the rear, this is just the link I had handy.)

A solenoid operated shifter. one button for up, and another for down. Have it actuate the clutch at the same time.

Have you researched handicap motorcycle controls? In the documentary "On Any Sunday: The Next Chapter" they have a dirt bike rider completely paralyzed from the waist down riding entirely from the handle bars.

On a side note, did you start working on the bike before you got hurt or after? It seems like if you started working on it after you would have started dreaming up solutions before. Not judging just curious, how you think determine how crazy of an idea you will take... mine are a little crazy.
1984 VX750 Japanese special - stolen - RECOVERED
2010 Jailing 110 customized

When asking how, also tell me why.

eslmatt
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986+ xv750 Japanese special

PostAuthor: Vladymere gr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:15 am

Mark75, eslmatt,

Thank you both for responding.

Mark75, waikrider's images do not show up.

eslmatt, I like the idea of the clutch control being mounted on the jockey shift.

My disability occurred long before I obtained the bike. It is psoriatic arthritis. This has caused the ankle joints and knee joints to decay. Both knees have been replaced twice (the first replacement parts came loose in the bone). Both ankles have been fused, the left just last month. I had started building forward controls based on choppin's design. It never occurred to me that I would not be able to manipulate them until yesterday.

eslmatt, control operation during an impending accident is quite a concern. I might be better off just selling the bike.

Vlad

Vladymere gr
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Falcon1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:38 pm

I know a guy whose left arm was amputated at the shoulder. He rides a trike, maybe converting to something like that would make it do-able for you- you would gain stability that would make it easier to convert controls to some design that would be more manageable for you.
1996 XV1100S
1994 XV535 (Wife's, she wants a bigger one, size *does* matter to her.)
:usa:

Falcon1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 XV1100S
1994 XV535 (wife's)

PostAuthor: eslmatt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:49 pm

you might want to look at the small Chinese bikes with the horazontal engine. ideally 110 or 125cc. Not fast but will still get you out on 2 wheels. Look for a model with a semi automatic transmission, the clutch is built in to the shifter, which you can get a heal/toe shifter you can jam with your foot, or build a jockey shifter. and the combined brake system will be easy to set-up.

like this kymco k-pipe

search ebay for pit bike, and all the engine parts will fit, this engine is a copy of the Honda dream, most common engine in the world.

jh110

Here is mine, 125cc will take me to 50 MPH. All I need for where I am. It will also wheelie if I pin the throttle and pop the clutch into 1st.

Here is a video of me and some friends doing a road trip on similar bikes. I am the one riding solo on a 70cc, my friends ae on 110cc bikes. Youtube

eslmatt
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Jake has a link to those FWD-controls in his sig, but has them locked, requiring a password. :con:
edit: :doh: perhaps if I would just read ---> PW: VTF

contact him and he may be able to "share the wealth" with you.

edit: lets see if this works ---> nope. got a copy of Jakes/waikriders zip of pics on my pc, but can't get it to copy to this post. sorry. and no templates. :(

edit: lets see if this at least adds the zip ---> http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... f6db09e1d9
that appears to work...

Sorry Jake. My bad.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'82 - XV750

And ---
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Vladymere gr wrote:
Mark75, waikrider's images do not show up.

If you can't see the images posted in his thread, then you need to revisit his thread and read the 1st post.

I prepared for times like this when he 1st posted and if you read what was posted instead of just looking for pictures, you would see that I had attached a zip file to his post with all of his pictures.

I've seen my name mentioned here a couple of times and I can't offer any advice, short of a trike with a jockey shift. If you have the skills and the tools, you can frabricate something similar to the Voyager Trike kit.

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain

Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:00 pm

my bad. :doh: :blush:

'82 - XV750

And ---
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Naw, not bad. A person with a disability such as this creates quite a problem, especially for one that wants to ride so badly. The forward control templates I have still needs to have joint movement in the ankles the same as normal foot controls.

I have seen, and think I have pictures of a one legged woman riding her motorbike in Bangkok. She had one of those homemade sidecar rigs you see so much of there with her wheelchair on the sidecar. Totally different scenario but it shows that if you need to, you can overcome the disability.

There may be a way to make things work with two wheels but I haven't any idea what, aside from a trike kit or a side car, neither of which are cheap.

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain

Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: eslmatt » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:14 pm

scooter.jpg

disabled people use these all the time, available in electric to get past insurance and so forth.

gas versions are based on a scooter, no shifting or clutch. rear brake is often on the left side of the bars, no foot controls at all! And some versions lean like a motorcycle does!

My mother in law's friend has a can-am spider, it is terrifying leans the wrong way!

To me freedom is more important than the size or brand of the bike.

take a look at some these, you could sell the virago and buy new!

http://countyimports.com/3-wheel-scooters---mopeds---trikes

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/150cc_scooter_sale_s/36.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eslmatt
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Fabrication / Welding Shop