PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Rearsets3.jpg
Rearsets1.jpg
Rearsets2.jpg
Rearsets4.jpg
FA12141.jpg
FA12142.jpg
FA12143.jpg

I've been shot blasting parts at work and having them powder coated. I also dragged out some SR500 rearsets I ebayed last year for cheap and snazzed them up a bit.

Spent a good bit of my Christmas bonus on parts and the Flying Anvil is changing it's look again.

I have a new speedo/tach coming as well as an idea for the switches I want to try. I also have a K&N filter to go on and a lithium battery to get. Any advice or recommendations welcome.

Cheers,

Rant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101
Sex: Male

Re: '82 XV750SE Cafe - The Flying Anvil - a work in progress

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:28 pm

FA12144.jpg
FA12146.jpg
FA12145.jpg

I really like the new stance and the seating position is not bad either. Black exhaust off a Midnight Virago and set of replacement forks. Will be putting on small round bar end mirrors. Looks like I have enough space for all the wiring under the tank with a bit of rewire and adjustment. Battery will be mounted under the seat.

Hoping to make a quick fit bracket for the fairing to go on if I feel it needs it.

Cheers,

Rant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:36 pm

The 'Cockpit' is coming along, wiring next.. :ops:
FA02151.jpg

FA02154.jpg

I guess I'll need Dan's help on this one:

FA02155.jpg

FA02152.jpg

FA02153.jpg

Cheers,

Rant.
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: Naspc » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Looking good.
1982 Virago xv750 In progress
Rebuilt Carb with dyno jet kit and pilot jet enlarged with a #76 bit removed Currently running with a stock XV750 Carburetor.
Front End conversion: YZF R6, forks, woodcraft clip-ons D12 grips, throttle, brake and clutch levers done
Acewell 3915 speedo & tach: done
Starter: Box'O'Rocks - Dr. Virago Pete Fix done(still sound like crap)
4 brush starter: Arrowhead SMU0072 done
Air Box to Pod Conversion done
ACCEL Super Coil 140408BK & New Plug Wires with NGK Caps done
Autolite ap63 Spark Plugs done
Ballistic Lithium Ion Battery Evo2 12 done
Grounding Mod done
SirDocWolf 2nd Gen rear wheel conversion 150/90/15 done
BareBone Wiring Harness with Motogadget M-Unit, M-swithces and mini M-swithcesdone
Realm Ram Mono Shock done
This is my Experience:
Naspc
Jr Mod
Jr Mod

Bike year & model: Customized 1982 Virago XV750

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Got the new battery today and have been working out how to mount it below the seat along with the ignition, fusebox and the rect/reg.

Wiring still giving me a headache..

Battery comparison.jpg

Happy Easter everyone.

Cheers,

Rant.
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Mon May 25, 2015 1:42 pm

Finally been able to get a bit of progress on this, battery box is done and on and ignition circuit is wired in. Started on tach, lighting etc.. I have both a neutral light and an oil light, have not had one of those in like forever!

IMG_2292.jpg

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat May 30, 2015 8:19 am

Added the horns and indicators into the wiring today. Still need to do the headlight plus high/low and the brake light. With the old battery box/mount gone and the rear brake pulling the opposite way I need to figure out a way of mounting a brake switch for the rear brake light..

A lot of the original harness wires have perished, ie the copper has gone black (even green in a couple) and I had to replace with whatever colours I could get. I will have to make a diagram when I'm done.

Cheers,

Rant.
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:37 am

Been real busy at work recently but still seem kinda broke :(

Can't afford the insurance or tax at the moment so haven't been feeling like getting the bike ready too much.

On top of everything else I had a marathon wiring session 2-3 weeks back, got everything wired and hooked up and was messing around with getting the harness tucked in under the tank properly, only to find that because the new speedo wires are tiny and a lot of the harness wires of a more 'normal' gauge the 9 wire connector I was using was putting too much strain on the ultra thin gauge wires and they kept braking. Only one option, hard solder all those connections and do away with that connector (and all the previous hard work of de-soldering the old wire connections, cleaning everything and re-soldering).

Soo got all that done on Friday then discovered my starter is kinda shot, 4 brush starter sounds great but still have cash flow issues.. and the bike has been resisting my attempts at getting it to run which was a bit demoralizing.

Last night I remembered seeing another starter in my spares boxes so I had a look but alas off a different bike.. but there is a starter on my scrambler project (which has the hole for the starter upgrade anyway so eventually will not need the short nose gen1 starter. Swapped them out but still no starting joy, then it occurred to me to check the coils again and sure enough had the wires on the wrong way, quick switch over aaand..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJdxtSs ... e=youtu.be

I still have a ton of small things to sort like mounting the choke cable and the speed sensor drive from the new speedo as well as a proper service but here are a few of my recent lessons:

KISS - no really the simpler the better

Check and double check and then check again just to make sure you really did do it right

Don't trust the old wiring, some of the wires are so corroded by now it is a chance you don't keep breaking down all the time

With a bit of patience and sufficiently long fingers one can take the starter and clip off and re-insert them without taking the side case off (although if you can't be sure the clip is on properly and in the right place I would not recommend it)

Cheers,

Rant.
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Re: '82 XV750SE Cafe - The Flying Anvil - done?

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:30 am

Doesn't feel like anyone ever looks at this anymore but that doesn't matter, it is a build log for the Flying Anvil and as long as things get changed I will keep posting so I can remember what has been done.

So I had the bike running and off the table ran it round the back a few times only to find that the clip-ons below the top tee and footrests mounted at the old pillion mountings really does not work for me and my 15st 6ft2 frame. To get vaguely comfortable with my legs I have to slide my arse so far back the center of gravity shifts from in front of the center stand to very definitely behind the center stand.. which I believe would adversely affect the handling unless I was planning on wheelieing everywhere which I am not.

Long story short, had to move the clipons and footrests. Clipons above the tee with the forks pushed through and rearsets somewhere half way between pillion and rider mounts (6inches further forward than what they were and about 3-4 further down!).

Result: The position now feels slightly more leant over but still comfortable. Steering should be a bit sharper as center of gravity is brought forward some and the forks have been pushed up about 1.5".
200715FA1.jpg

200715FA2.jpg

200715FA3.jpg

200715FA4.jpg

200715FA5.jpg

So is it done? Not sure it will ever be done as there will always be things to sort on a 30+ year old bike..

Cheers,

Rant
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:19 am

So I got a set of new to me TR1 forks cheap that seem in good nick, will want a flush and some fresh oil tho', as well as calipers and m/c. Then a guy at work offers me a set of Suzuki Hayabusa 320mm discs/rotors and says he's sure he has the Brembo calipers an m/c somewheres too.. looks like a double stopper upgrade!!
img_20160306_153624_25558240375_o.jpg

img_20160308_180043_25619248595_o.jpg

img_20160312_174359_25479252870_o.jpg
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:23 am

Very nice!
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Thanks! I can do all my shot blasting and powder coating at work so I feel really lucky. Polishing and basic lathe and mill work I can do in the workshop at home. Hoping to actually get enough cash together this year to get the bike insured and get out riding again.

The TR1 forks might go on the scrambler project as it is upgradeable to a second gen starter and therefore the more usable bike in the long run.. planning for it to be the commuter so better stoppers will come in handy.

I have also managed to pick up an EBC upgrade floating disc for the single brake setup and am always on the lookout for some 36mm forks with side mounted caliper to swap into the Flying Anvil.

But all those plans might yet change.

:)
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: Fruid » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:12 pm

The lower yoke you have for the TR1 is alloy, I don't know when they changed that but i have just bought a Gen2 front end for my next bike and the lower yoke is cast iron I think. Must be a good bit heavier and it rusts!
My TR1 is coming on but at the stage of trying to hide all the relays and reg/rect, it's very hard without fabricating something like an alloy box, which I don't have the skills to do.
I wish I had untaped the loom and removed a lot of the wiring associated with the safety relays, they are so bulky.
Good luck with yours.

Fruid
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: Ducati 1000SS
81 Yamaha TR1 bobber

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Word of warning, once you start digging into that 30yr old loom you mightn't like what you find and end up having to do a complete rewire.. not a bad thing to happen to your bike but a fair old job depending on your skills and how soon you want the bike back on the road..

I found most of my alternator to battery and reg/rect wires badly corroded and a lot of the earth throughout the loom had corrosion where the copper strands had gone black..
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: Fruid » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:19 am

The loom is actually very good, it's from the US and in amazing condition for it's age. Its all on the bike and running with all the original plugs etc but it's just those Omron relays..where do you put them if you don't have space under the seat.??
I was thinking of removing the relays and just putting a jumper wire over the plug terminals, that would get rid of the actual relay.

Fruid
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: Ducati 1000SS
81 Yamaha TR1 bobber

PostAuthor: sequim » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Yep, dump the relay.

Nice work... looking good.

I've got the XV920RJ fork working great.
The members of this group helped me with the most difficult challenges I faced in building my own Bobber... Thanks Virago Tech Forum.
sequim
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920J Virago
1982 XV920RJ Non-Virago

PostAuthor: zjohnson1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Kind of delayed but what year busa disc did you use? And is that the stock 920 dual disc 19" front wheel or is it an 18? That would make adapting the stock wheel to my R1 front end a little easier...
zjohnson1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Sorry kind of very late response but I don't know what year Hayabusa discs they were (I got them from a mate who makes scrap metal sculpture and he didn't know either)

Anyhow they have now found their way onto my TR1 project where they have been bolted to an XS spoke wheel and will be squeezed by some R1 blue spot calipers as soon as I can get some adapter plates knocked out..

The Flying Anvil runs and better now I have emptied the tank of the old fuel and adjusted the timing, have to do the front one again as it still has a bit more noise than the rear. I also adjusted the clutch but went to far and will have to ease that back off again.

I fitted the GPS sensor to my Koso speedo and that works well, so much so I will use GPS speedos for the other two projects.

Other than that I am just waiting for the right combo of time/money to get it back on the road.

Cheers,

Rant.
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Mon May 22, 2017 12:05 am

Cam bearing swap time on all 3 engines in the Rantshop today.

Cam bearing swap1.jpg

Cam bearing swap2.jpg

The swap was easy enough, first engine took about 3/4hr the last one about 15mins.. worst bit was pulling the old bushes out of a couple of the heads.

Still have a bit of intake valve noise on the front head of the Flying Anvil so will have to set gaps there again at some stage.

Cheers,

Rant.
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:05 am

Not sure I will be running the Flying Anvil this season but I had a stroke of luck and the build is taking another direction as a consequence. I loved the Lucky Cat Garage's Dustbeemer since I first came across it and it now seems as if my Flying Anvil is going a very similar direction, judge for yourselves:

IMG_5131.JPG
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PreviousNext

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Fabrication / Welding Shop