Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Nanno's "bumblebee" engine

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Nanno's "bumblebee" engine

PostAuthor: nanno » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:13 am

... or the story of a poor little engine, which doesn't know it's not even meant to exist. :cl:

The story starts with me being a bit unhappy about the engine, which I built lately. In essence, I've built the perfect race-engine, not much grunt down low, but oh-boy does it rev. (And make stupid power in the progress.) Unfortunately the specs said "everyday-engine" and it was rather bad at that compared to what I had before. So I inquired about combining the heavy crank with my BT/XVS/V-star rotating assembly and the universal answer was: don't. Prior to asking those questions, I had thrown some crude maths at it. (I will get into the intricacies of how and why this isn't very precise and you should do it differently in a subsequent post.) And worked out that the balance factor will go up, not realising that the new conrods have got lighter small-ends and that would limit the effects quite substantially.

stock XV1100

XV1100 crank with (heavier) XV1100 conrods and BT1100 pistons

XV1100 crank with light pistons and with the correct conrods as well
(The last calculation was done after I had the engine open and was able to extract crank and conrods.)

And with that being said, I went through my stash of XV1100 cranks, dug out the one that was in the engine before and cleaned and stripped it.

Pulling the engine apart revealed a nice surprise, the XV700 heads are working flawlessly with the tightened squishband as can be witnessed by the clean areas in the head where turbulence is happening.

A quick check of the clearances between crank and conrod revealed Yamaha hadn't changed their tolerance codes and I made a spot on landing in the middle of the tolerance field with 0.040mm clearance, when combining BT-conrods with a XV1100 crankshaft.

And there we have the unholy union, called bumblebee. Also my assembly lube is a bit stiff. :cl:

Then followed the usual steps of reassembling the engine.

Just to prove: These are actual BT-pistons

Put the cylinders on

No base gasket to improve squish, only rtv-silicone.

And then after assembling the rest of the bike, I gave the exhaust a quick wipedown - the smoke in the video below is from the oil burning off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdz8l_eMlBI

So what's it like: It's basically an XV1100 engine again, but with notably less vibrations. Actually hardly any vibrations at idle at all, which is almost a bit irritating. It has got low-down torque for miles and obviously it doesn't like to rev as hard or rev-up as fast as with the lighter BT crank. And incidentially it proved a point: a roughly 3 percent change in crank balance factor can be felt, if you compare them back to back. And also of course: bumblebees can fly. :cl:

(The full version is available on my blog under: https://greasygreg.blogspot.com/2020/04 ... lebee.html )
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

*Look to my profile for a link to my blog*
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)
Sex: Male

Re: Nanno's "bumblebee" engine

PostAuthor: faffi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:36 pm

So did you do the crank change before or after the universe told you not to? Anyway, happy for you that it worked so well :GJ:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: nanno » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:12 pm

After a lot of those "in the know" said it wouldn't work. Sometimes you gotta break some omeletts to make an egg (or something along these lines) :cl:
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: faffi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:27 pm

I too tend to become more determined when people tell me it's a bad idea :bg:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:18 pm

I don't read well. [emoji6][emoji849]

Crank = BT1100
Rods = XV1100
Pistons = XV1100
Heads = XV700

Right?

BTW - I'd still like to buy your Nanno header system, seriously.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: nanno » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:15 am

faffi wrote:I too tend to become more determined when people tell me it's a bad idea :bg:

Hehehehe... To be fair some said it's a bad idea and others admitted, they've never tried. Then it was math's o clock and math's said it should work and produce less vibrations.

@Hellgate:

Almost, the setup is:

Crank: XV1100
Rods, Pistons, Cylinders: BT1100
Heads:XV700

Not hard to guess, I aim for maximum torque...

I am pretty sure we can work something out regarding an exhaust system for you. Maybe you would want to drop me a PM with your e-mail-address and we take it from there?

Cheers,
Greg

nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha XV920R / TR1