Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

TR1 start issues.

• Advertisement

Post a reply

TR1 start issues.

PostAuthor: trcart » Thu May 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi. I have a 1983 TR1 with starter issues. I've read lots of 'so called' cures - shims in the starter motor, fixing a gear in the starter motor, changing the solenoid to one from a Suzuki Swift, changing starter bendix and idle gear to one from a different model but can anyone tell me what ACTUALLY works for this model? I'm also interested in modifying to a single carburettor intake. If anyone can tell me where I can source a manifold from inside the U.K, I would be extremely grateful.

trcart
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 tr1
Sex: Male

Re: TR1 start issues.

PostAuthor: nanno » Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 am

Well, first of all: The starter setup, even though it is the better (so called Gen. 2) setup, the most polite way to refer to it is rubbish.

Secondly, you have multiple areas of concern:
1) The starter itself tends to dust up and thereby decrease its rather moderate output even further - take it apart, clean the amature, grease the shaft and check whether the brushes are still long enough. And also cross check, whether all windings work. You can of course buy a later starter (aka. 4-brush-starter) made for a Virago, which you will be able to distinguish by screw-on post being on the opposite end to the shaft. These are indeed better, but if you want to get the most out of them: Take them apart clean them, grease them up properly.
2) The starter solenoid tends to stick and burn out, the one from a Suzuki Swift/SJ410/413 was a common swap, back when no proper aftermarket solenoids were available. The Suzuki ones lack the mounting studs, so you have to help yourself with a rather long M4 or M5-bolt.
3) Starter-clutches are a constant source of grief as they tend to fail in the most inopportune moments. Unfortunately the one from the Virago 1100 doesn't fit as that runs a different (better) starter gear ratio. If it fails, cut it open, weld it shut as you have a second starter clutch inside the starter motor.
4) Make sure you have A PROPER STRONG BATTERY. Nothing kills starters and solenoids quicker than overheating, because they can't spin over properly.

Regarding the shimming etc.: That's for the 750 guys, who have to fight an even worse starter motor. :bg:

Sounds terrible, doesn't it and yes, it's a bit sh*te, but you get used to it. And in a year or so, ever your co-workers won't be surprised anymore, that you have a spare starter and solenoid in your desk in the office. :cl:
(Couple years back, before this Virago-Cafe-Racer craze started, it was truly a bit hard to get parts, nevertheless I dailied my TR1, so I had to use used spares (i.e. junk) to keep it alive, so the office statement contains more than just a grain of truth!)

Hope this helps
Greg
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

*Look to my profile for a link to my blog*
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)

PostAuthor: trcart » Fri May 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the answers. I will tackle them one by one. Hopefully it won't take long :):
Can you tell me which model Virago the 4-brush starter motor comes from, as this is going to be my start point. I have looked at one on E-bay and it looks like the 1100.

Regards,
Brian

trcart
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: nanno » Sat May 13, 2017 4:08 am

Hey Brian, that's the one!

(Be aware you need a longer cable from the starter to the solenoid though)
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

*Look to my profile for a link to my blog*
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)

PostAuthor: trcart » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:31 am

that starter motor worked great !!!! thanks.

trcart
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha XV920R / TR1