Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Fork Rebuild

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Fork Rebuild

PostAuthor: Fruid » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:56 am

So the forks on my TR1 are not working to well, I replaced the oil last year but it's hard to get the air pressure just right so they're not too hard or soft. The damping is not great.
I was thinking of some progressive springs.
Has anyone done this and any other mods to make the original forks work better.? What do you guys recommend?

Fruid
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: Ducati 1000SS
81 Yamaha TR1 bobber
Sex: Male

Re: Fork Rebuild

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:27 am

Fruid wrote:So the forks on my TR1 are not working to well

Actually..that could mean bout anything.

And..this is while still in the cruzer configuration, but "I'm guessing" you maybe having a problem with stiction? I've chased front end stuff for long time and what I've come up with is: in stock form... these are "just to get by" forks. The problems are usually the result of "air pressure" and to some degree: OEM seals. Having the ability to add air to the forks is a great idea, but the end result always ends up with: the more air, OEM seals, dust covers, worn bushings (guides)..the more stiction one gets. And, seems like it's worse with the ability to add air, but only, individually to "one" leg at a time. Meaning: almost impossible to get the two legs' pressure equal, without the equalization type connector. Not entirely sure, exactly when Yamaha started these. 84'/85? I know some 920s did too, but their top trees were different and used a 'rubber' hose to balance the pressure, from leg to leg. In the end, I've never trying changing out the springs (just my choice), but have switched to SKF seals, used 10w oil (some prefer 5w for better action) and experimented with: less air...and tad more pre-load via replacing spacer tube with a pvc pipe. Cut to a length I don't remember what length. Been long time ago. I've eliminated any stiction in my case. Kinda shutter at how much attention I paid to this area..but Oh Well... :bg: And..this wasn't even getting into any "re-valving", "preload" adjusters, worrying bout suspension sag or just changing out the springs. Damping on these things? With stock forks? Forget it. Bout the only damping you'll get, with out completely different front ends, would be with the oil. Sorry, not very conclusive for ya, just few of my dealings with forks. Hopefully there is others who have delved into this and can give ya a different perspective. :;:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Fruid » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:14 am

That's the feedback I need . Mine are the ones with the individual air valves and yes, hard to equal pressure.
Just wondered if there was a set of springs that would help. I don't want to fit a new front end off another bike, I want to keep it all as it was.

Fruid
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: Ducati 1000SS
81 Yamaha TR1 bobber

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:57 am

Fruid wrote: Mine are the ones with the individual air valves and yes, hard to equal pressure.

Yep, realized that. Same as my 750. Don't think equalization tubes came out till the 84' 1000s. Altough like I mentioned, I've seen some 920 with a rubber tube, but no idea of the year(s). Unfortunately, experimentation is bout the only way to get to what you want.
One could also fool around with "volume" of oil. More oil would be less air needed. Which, in turn, still maintains better action than adding 'just' air. I remember once on a bike, I miss read a measuring gauge and got too much oil. Ya can imagine what that was like..ever ride a girder front end? :o: Or even get into dropping the forks, some. Coarse.. there you're getting into change'n the geometry of front to back set up. Not really sure, but with added preload, speed'n things up cuz of the angle change, might (I say might) have some influence. Nother, way out there idea, could be change'n the "stanchion" tubes so you could have the single air valve. But you'd also have to deal with change'n the upper tree, too. Naturally, going new is pretty pricey. https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/xv_ ... n_-_single I have seen some pretty good deals in the past, though.
Wish I could give ya more info on springs. Just never messed with them. Only hear..some swear by em and some say: "Eh"..what's the big deal?.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Fruid » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:03 am

Here is a pic of the fork tops

Fruid
Senior Membership
Senior Membership