Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Just bought an 81 XV920RH, what should I do first?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Just bought an 81 XV920RH, what should I do first?

PostAuthor: pulse521 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:00 pm

This is my first motorcycle, after getting my M endorsement over 4 years ago. It runs well, needs some carb cleaning/tuning and a general wash down. What are some of the first things I should do (if any), besides the basics?

It needs a clutch lever switch so I can start it in gear instead of neutral, and the headlight goes dim after the bike warms up. At some point I'll be updating the controls to a more modern set, instead of the factory 1-piece throttle/killswitch assembly and clutch/horn/light assembly. As well, it needs a new cam tension port gasket (what ever is right next to the front cylinder exhaust port.

pulse521
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1981 XV920RH
Sex: Male

Re: Just bought an 81 XV920RH, what should I do first?

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:36 pm

:VTF:

Outside of getting a manual...I'd say you're on your way. Don't wanna throw tooo much stuff, as I'm sure you'll find more than enough :bg: ..so I'll just suggest "maintenance" (valves & clutch adjustments, cleaning any/all connections). 39yr old bikes accumulate lotsa crap. :cl:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: faffi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:52 am

Welcome!

On a bike that old I personally would strip the brakes and replace the caliper pistons and seals, plus the master pump piston and seals, as well as fit new braided brake hoses. It helps little to have a well running bike if the brakes fail on you when you need them the most.

Other than that, it is well worth following the manual and perform a complete service/tune-up. You may also want to fit new tires if they are old and/or worn - the rims can run tubeless.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: pulse521 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:12 pm

So, I haven't been able to ride it yet :(

It's stored at some one else's house, and I have to go over to ride etc. Today I learned that I need to pull the choke out (Mikuni carbs) and not give it throttle when starting... Now it's flooded with a low battery, and the starter mocks me. Is this how they all are?

pulse521
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1981 XV920RH

PostAuthor: faffi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:02 am

If you want to keep the starter as healthy as it can be with these engines, never attempt starting with a low battery. Push starting is OK, but not cranking.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:01 am

pulse521 wrote:(Mikuni carbs)

Some PO put them in there? 920s used Hitachi.

pulse521 wrote: not give it throttle when starting... Now it's flooded

Highly doubt twisting the throttle led to flooding. As in: CV carbs don't work like that. Something else led to flooding. As in: Fuel from pilot and/or choke circuit (aka: starter circuit) just loaded up in the heads cuz of not firing. Twisting the throttle during start "didn't". Floats stick'n open can also let in excessive fuel, to a point. But if the slides/jet needle isn't rise'n, no fuel will get in (unless the needle jet/jet needle is screwed somehow.
As faffi mentioned..the low battery led to your flooding..ie: no juice to fire the plug..(among other possibilities).
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha XV920R / TR1