Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

The "mule" Nanno's new naturally aspirated motor

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: The "mule" Nanno's new naturally aspirated motor

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:54 am

Here's a few machine tools for you. Took these at Revival Cycles last Sunday.ImageImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: nanno » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:57 am

Drool-a-rama. I wouldn't mind a Bridgeport instead of my current mill. The lathe looks familliar, but I can't put a name to the mental image? (Southbend heavy 13? Regal LeBlond?)
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at (My blog - Greasygreg.blogspot.co.at)
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 am

I've no idea the make. Next time I'm in their CNC room I'll take some photos for you. They've been kicking around the idea of getting 5 axial machine. They recently bought a scanner for 3D printing. Mainly to prototype quickly for a final handmade product. They currently use traditional wood ribs for building body work from aluminum such as tanks, tails, fairings etc. It's been interesting watching them develop their techniques over the past few years.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: nanno » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:32 pm

In somewhat related news (and please yes, go ahead with pictures from the shop):
1) started working on the adapter to get my rotary table on the mill in working order today (this is sort of my Plan B to shorten the cylinders)
2) chasing a WW2 German production size mill. Not quite what I originally had in mind, but it's the right size and built as if they actually believed in the 1000-year-reich mumbo-jumbo. So it should quite easily serve me well for a few years.

Either way, progress is being made.
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:09 am

While we're looking at machinery, went to this place to pick up the Triumph Stag block my boss was having redone and overbored. I said to the old guy, I wish I new half of what you have forgotten over the years, there was block and cylinders all over the place V6, V8, V10, V12, Jag, Ferrari you name it there was a block being worked over or sitting finished or awaiting! Have a look at that 'swarf' tray...

The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: nanno » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 am

Wee lil' update: Finished the cylinder shortening setup on the lathe yesterday and gave it a try - it works, but it's not practical as my lathe very politely tried to walk out the front door of my workshop. (i.e. it's just too light and starts oscillating) Which means I'll continue with building a small(-er) flycutter and do it on the rotab.

Expect some pictures on the weekend. (finally)

Oh and no new lathe. (yet)

nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: nanno » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Let's put it this way: six weeks. That's how long it took from first idea to the first actually successful testrun. And this is how it is supposed to work (tried on an already thrashed cylinder):

1) The cylinder is clamped between two T-shaped tophats and supported by a live center on the tailstock and in the foreground you can see what will later become the indexable boring bar during one of the first tests to see whether I could actually reach everything.

2)As my QCTP took up some precious cross-slide travel, I had to fabricate a new toolholder...

3) ... which in the end looked like this.

Now all of this looked very promising (see last post), but as soon as the boring pushed against the workpiece, the live-center was in no way capable of supporting the cylinder. A bit more thinking and at least two attempts to flycut the cylinders on the rotary table of my mill had me re-think the lathe setup. (I am sorry, I*ve always been a lathe lad and less of a milling machine man...)

So today in the morning, I modified the backplate, fitted an old 6001 ball bearing and modified an old hex-bit to perform as an axle and finally everything is clamped down properly.

I'll get back to the whole lot on Tuesday and will modified the chuck-sided tophat as currently it is slightly tapered, which is good for alignment, but even low force will make the workpiece shift between the tophats and cause it to tumble, even though this is already rather minimal and a slightly more hairy chested engineer would probably call it good enough.

There's a bit more on the fabrication of all the tools on the Blog: http://greasygreg.blogspot.com/2018/07/ ... ining.html

Additionally, I'll probably post some of the more (in retrospect) amusing failures of my fixtures in the upcoming days on my blog.

nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:25 pm

Great ingenuity :cl:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:22 pm

Nice work Greg! [emoji16]
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: nanno » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:45 am

To my own disappointment my fixture to shorten the cylinders just didn't work. Ever so often the whole lot starts to shift and as a result oscillate. I have an idea on how to do this in the future, but for now I really want to finish this engine and actually enjoy what I've built over the last year.

One of the mistakes I made in the past was to mix up the front and rear sprockets, as I put them in as I found them in the engine (mind you I bought this engine partially disassembled) and as such the front and rear ones were mixed up. That being said, if you mark the teeth of the primary gear behind the rotor, you can very safely assemble everything. I wasn't entirely sure, so I pulled the roto and guess what: All tidy.

With those mistakes tidied up, it was well about time to get back to head work. As I had to fit new valves anyway, I only deemed it appropriate to make them look pretty and polish them. (Opinions are a bit split on that, but I noticed less carbon buildup on polished valves, which is basically good enough for me.) The valves were polished with 120, 220, 400, 800 grit sandpaper.

This is a relatively quick, but nonetheless messy, job in a lathe.

As the stock valve springs create mad seat pressures, I decided to go with the softer inner springs out of a Virago 1100 to prolong the lifes of both rockers and cams.

One of the things I really invested some time in was to blend the valve seats into the ports. The heads I had were exceptionally bad in this respect, as there was a massive lip where the valveseat was undercut.

And that's what they look like now:

I didn't take any picture of the new Viton valve stem seals, but in the past they have without a doubt been worth the money.

More pictures and a bit more on porting on the blog: http://greasygreg.blogspot.com/2018/07/ ... older.html

nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Sorry to hear about the cylinder work not playing game, but you will likely sort it with time. Splendid work so far - hope to see a video when you start it up :cl:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha XV920R / TR1