Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Starter motor R&R

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Starter motor R&R

PostAuthor: dennist » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:43 pm

1982 XV920R. Need to take out the starter since it is bad. If I pull out the starter after removing the 2 long bolts the starter should pull out of the case. When the starter is put back in it's hole will the gear it fits into fall into the case? I know it is held in place by the clip in its slot and is engaged in the starter clutch gear but is that enough to hold it in place (I know there is a clip as i installed one) when starter shaft pushed into it? Or do I have to take that damned side cover off a again?? Hope not. Thanks. I searched site for "Starter Motor Removal" and nothing came up.

dennist
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920R
Sex: Male

Re: Starter motor R&R

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:26 am

Your search came up "Nodda", cuz you cannot remove the starter like that. Sorry, but the side cover will have to come off to remove the "C" clip on the shaft's end. That gear will not pull out the back side of housing. Trying to take the starter off like you're talking about will cuz all kinds of problems. Like the brushes/holder (all kinds of stuff) to go outta alignment, whereas you'll never get it back together, with the starter nose still in the case. Remember, those brushes are held on the armature by spring clips. Once you pull the back side of the starter off, like you're thinking of, those brushes will slam shut (so to speak), making it impossible to put the starter shaft (armature/commutator) back into the nose of the starter. Not to mention keeping all this stuff on the bushings, blah blah blah. These things were not designed with the home mechanic in mind.

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempart ... ter-clutch
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:58 pm

:yup:

XV was not engineered for repair the "easiest-way" [guess Yam especially never expected anyone to have any carb trouble either]; however, afterwards you will know it's done right [and hopefully trouble-free for a longtime].
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: BUT --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Once you've done it a few times you'll be able to change it out blindfolded. Believe me...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Yea...don't let my rant skeer ya..it's really pretty simple. Just be patient. Whereas that Randy, in the vid, tells of twisting the brake clip towards the left, to hold the starter gear in place, that kinda works. I find cleaning the shaft with rubbing alcohol before putting on the 0-ring, pushing it as tight to the gear as possible works quite well. Not quite sure why most parts fiches don't show this 0-ring, but there is one there, fits on the shaft (#3) and tucks into the concave of gear (#4). Others us a skinny ruler to hold things in place while putting on the side cover. That's Ok..if you don't mind working with one hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: dennist » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks guys for the correct why to do it. Thought just pulling out the starter and inserting it back in would be too simple. Craziest starting system I have ever seen. Really looks British and sounds British (I restored a 1971 Norton Commando). Cannot believe Yamaha engineers designed the starting system/gears the way they did. Does not go along with the usual bullet proof stuff they made. Oh well, off goes the side cover. Thanks again for the encouragement, all positive.

dennist
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920R

PostAuthor: nanno » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:15 am

If you know, that the planetary gearbox is ok, you can absolutely do it this way. It's a bodge, but hey, we all love good bodges. That being said, when you're at this point anyway, you might as well take the five minutes it takes to grease up the planetary gears and also disassemble the new starter and clean out all the carbon dust and grease up the shaft in, where it sits in its rear bushing.

Cheers,
Greg
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at (My blog - Greasygreg.blogspot.co.at)
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 XT500
1985 SR500
1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1973 DS7 (RD250) Racebike
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: wkdenton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:23 pm

This is the correct diagram for the '81-82 XV920R models. The one that flyingdog posting is incorrect. There is no sprag clutch in the early models.'81-2 XV920R starter gears diagram
Bill in Yardley, PA
PA-MSP Rider Coach
Lazarus CycleWorks - "We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes"
1981 XV920RH
RH+
wkdenton
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1981 XV920RH
1978 XS650
1980 CB-X
1996 GPz1100

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:55 pm

wkdenton wrote:This is the correct diagram for the '81-82 XV920R models. The one that flyingdog posting is incorrect. There is no sprag clutch in the early models.'81-2 XV920R starter gears diagram

True..the point of the illustration wasn't to show either/or gen 1 or 2 starter parts. Only to show where you can use an 0-ring to hold the gears together on either. My first post shows gen 1.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha XV920R / TR1