Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

rim and tire dimensions TR1 (chain)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

rim and tire dimensions TR1 (chain)

PostAuthor: repair » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:09 pm

I should try to build a cafe, on this forum i have looked on the beautiful Cbass xv750
he used 18"x3" rim and tire 120/90/18 on front, rear 15"/3" rim tire 140/90/15
my question, is this a good combination om my tr1 chain drive?
it's important that bike get the right low look on front
forks will be lowered 2 inches
If someone have a better alternative I will be pleased

repair
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: yamaha TR1 1984 model
Sex: Male

Re: rim and tire dimensions TR1 (chain)

PostAuthor: briandk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:41 pm

I actually think it's a little weird that he went for 18" front and 15" rear instead of 18"/18" or 17"/17" since he had the wheels laced up with new rims anyway. I wonder what was the reason behind the choice.

briandk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 82 TR1

PostAuthor: repair » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:20 am

briandk wrote:I actually think it's a little weird that he went for 18" front and 15" rear instead of 18"/18" or 17"/17" since he had the wheels laced up with new rims anyway. I wonder what was the reason behind the choice.

Greg Hagemann have used 15 rear and 18 front on xv 750 build in return of the caf racer
What it's most common combination on TR1 cafe and how wide rear tire is best?

i found spec on caferacertv.com

Specifications: Yamaha Virago 750

Frame: Stock
Subrame: Handbuilt
Engine: 750cc
Carburetion or FI System: Dynojet Carburetion
Rear Swing Arm: Stock
Rear Wheel (Size): 15 x 3″
Front Wheel (Size): 18 x 3″
Steering Stabilizer: N/A
Rear Shock(s): Showa
Clip-Ons or Bars: Tarozzi
Seat: Moto Lanna
Tank: Benelli Original NOS
Rear Sets: Tarozzi
Radiator: Stock
Fairings: N/A
Tires (Sizes): Front 120/90-18, Rear 140/90-15
Exhaust: Jardine
Paint: Custom by Kenny Chains

repair
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: briandk » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:16 am

The bike is shaft driven and the rear wheel probably from an XV700 which comes with a 15" rear, so perhaps it was used to avoid lacing a new rim on it.

Can't say exactly what is optimal, but 17" allows you a pretty good selection of tires.

briandk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: repair » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:32 pm

briandk wrote:The bike is shaft driven and the rear wheel probably from an XV700 which comes with a 15" rear, so perhaps it was used to avoid lacing a new rim on it.

Can't say exactly what is optimal, but 17" allows you a pretty good selection of tires.

Thanks briandk
is 17" a good choice rear and front?
I'm sorry for asking som silly question i have tryed too find answers but not succeed
I'm sure you have seen the fantastic tangerine dream i have not find any information about
rims and tire dimensions on that bike

repair
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: briandk » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:06 am

repair wrote:
briandk wrote:The bike is shaft driven and the rear wheel probably from an XV700 which comes with a 15" rear, so perhaps it was used to avoid lacing a new rim on it.

Thanks briandk
I'm sorry for asking som silly question i have tryed too find answers but not succeed
I'm sure you have seen the fantastic tangerine dream i have not find any information about

I've seen it and agree, it looks great.
In the article about it on bikeexif it actually says he runs 18" front and 17" (with a wide 5.5" rim) on the back. He's running an USD fork, so maybe he went with 18" to get a bit of extra ground clearance.

Personally I'm still looking for rims but am considering going with 17" 3.5 front and 17" 4.25 rear. The 5.5" rear on that bike looks great, but I'm wondering what else needs to be changed to fit that?

briandk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: repair » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:58 am

briandk wrote:
repair wrote:

Thanks briandk

I've seen it and agree, it looks great.
In the article about it on bikeexif it actually says he runs 18" front and 17" (with a wide 5.5" rim) on the back. He's running an USD fork, so maybe he went with 18" to get a bit of extra ground
clearance.

Personally I'm still looking for rims but am considering going with 17" 3.5 front and 17" 4.25 rear. The 5.5" rear on that bike looks great, but I'm wondering what else needs to be changed to fit that?

i also look on 17" but I can't find tiers I want in this dimesion, so now I consider 4"x16 rear and 3"x18 in front, i like Bridgestone spitfire tire and found 150/80-16 rear and 110/90-18 in front
but i don't now it's a good choice.
i have little experience with this type of bike, earier i have resorted to orginal anb build one xs2 brat/cafe vintage look and used orginal rim dim only wider

repair
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha XV920R / TR1