Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Is it possible I ruined my transmission?? Or is this normal

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Is it possible I ruined my transmission?? Or is this normal

PostAuthor: Vendetta1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm

I just deleted the chain drive enclosure and put a new chain on my bike. When I deleted the enclosure I had to take both sprockets off and when I put them back on I just put the engine in gear to tighten both sprocket bolts against. In hindsight I should have used the rear brake to lock the wheel. But at that time my wife was pi**ed at me and I was too afraid to ask for her to hold the brake.. you know how it is lol
Is it possible I could have damaged the trans doing that?

I ask because when trying to bump start the bike now (starter just died also) it's impossible to get the engine to turn over. The rear wheel just totally locks up when I let the clutch out.

Vendetta1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 virago 920R
Sex: Male

Re: Is it possible I ruined my transmission?? Or is this no

PostAuthor: faffi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm

What gear do you use? It is usual for compression to lock a wheel in 1st or 2nd gear. And if a carb has overflowed, you can have hydro-lock. I strongly doubt that you have managed to damage the gearbox in any way.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Vendetta1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Thats reassuring. My first thought was my wrenching on the sprockets shouldnt be more torque then hard driving would be.
I was using 1st gear to try to bump start it. Should I use a higher gear?
I thought possibly hydrolock also. I ended up taking my side cover off for replacing the starter and using a socket on the stator nut I can turn the engine over (plugs out) and it turns the trans/wheel. It seemed to take just normal effort turning everything with a wrench. It's when I try to go the other direction and turn the trans/engine using the wheel it refuses to turn
Could the chain being too tight cause anything? Not entirely sure how to measure deflection.. If I push on it hard I can move it maybe 1/2"

Vendetta1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 virago 920R

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:25 am

A chain that tight will not prevent the wheel from turning, but will likely ruin your output shaft bearing due to too much tension when the suspension compresses and in effect make the swingarm longer.

Bump starting virtually never works in 1st gear - try 2nd gear. Just as you get ready to dump the clutch go from a standing position and let yourself drop hard onto the seat at the exact same moment you dump the clutch. This gives a little bit extra friction on the tyre to get the engine rotating.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha XV920R / TR1