Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Which flasher? Quick electrical question. (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Which flasher? Quick electrical question. (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Stash@Numa » Sun May 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Finally got the bike up and running perfectly. The last thing I need is to figure out my blinkers. Not sure if I have a bad flasher or need a led flasher. I didn't have turning signals on the bike before. Ended up buying new incandescent turning signals so I didn't have to mess around with electronics. Now that its hooked up correctly they just stay on. When I tap on the flasher relay it flashes once. When I turn on my 4 way hazards it flashes no problem.

Also I installed a led tail/brake light and it works great but shows a error on the cyclom for taillight. Any solutions?

Lastly my fuel warning keeps turning on and off while riding. My tank is full and it shows no fuel.

Stash@Numa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Yamaha Virago 920
Sex: Male

Re: Which flasher? Quick electrical question.

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:32 pm

Sounds like you may have a bad connection on your flasher. Remove the connection and make sure all the connections are clean and shiny. LED tail light may need LED resistor. Check the connections on the fuel sensor.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun May 19, 2019 6:22 pm

New front signals ? The front signals do double duty as running lights too, so they require three wire lights. If you used two wire lights, you can have signals or running lights but not both.

You will probably have to add a resistor in-line for the rear LED signals.

The tail light error on the cycom could be due to the way the front signals were wired, the tail light and front running lights share the same circuit, so if the running lights aren’t working, you’ll probably get that error.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Stash@Numa » Sun May 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Cleaned up the contacts with Emery cloth and sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner. No dice. When I rode it today the right signals would flash occasionally and the left would just stay on.

Stash@Numa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Stash@Numa » Mon May 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Also to clarify the taillight error only came on after I swapped out the taillight. It was not on while I had the old taillight and the new turning signals on the bike. Anyone know if there are different size led resistors and which one I should try?

Stash@Numa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Stash@Numa wrote:Finally got the bike up and running perfectly. The last thing I need is to figure out my blinkers. Not sure if I have a bad flasher or need a led flasher. I didn't have turning signals on the bike before. Ended up buying new incandescent turning signals so I didn't have to mess around with electronics. Now that its hooked up correctly they just stay on. When I tap on the flasher relay it flashes once. When I turn on my 4 way hazards it flashes no problem.

Also I installed a led tail/brake light and it works great but shows a error on the cyclom for taillight. Any solutions?

Lastly my fuel warning keeps turning on and off while riding. My tank is full and it shows no fuel.

possibly your fuel sending unit is dying or a loose connection? - #23 ---> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... ectrical-2

edit: strike that, just read your last post ... does the meter "error" go away if you use incandescent bulbs?

JMO: while replacing with LEDs sounds like a good idea, it could present a problem for your reg/rec by giving it "extra work" having to dump the 'load' that usually went to power the old bulbs.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Stash@Numa » Tue May 28, 2019 7:54 pm

So haven't solved it yet but a bulb just went out on my new signals on the side that wasn't flashing so your theory is probably right about why it stayed solid. unfortunately the custom micro signals have very hard to find micro halogen bulbs that I have to wait over a week to get delivered. I'll let you know if it fixes it.

Stash@Numa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed May 29, 2019 6:33 am

Jake wrote:New front signals ? The front signals do double duty as running lights too, so they require three wire lights. If you used two wire lights, you can have signals or running lights but not both.

You never told us whether the new signals were two wire or three and if two, what wires did you use ?

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Stash@Numa » Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 pm

I got the new bulb in today. It still was not flashing on the right side only. Pulled the old three prong flasher relay and put in a $3 two prong 552 flasher from auto zone and it fixed my issue. Looks like I had a bad relay. Thanks for all the help guys

Stash@Numa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri May 31, 2019 10:29 am

Stash@Numa wrote: Anyone know if there are different size led resistors and which one I should try?

Yes, I know.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Stash@Numa » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 am

Jake wrote:
Stash@Numa wrote: Anyone know if there are different size led resistors and which one I should try?

Yes, I know.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Stash@Numa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV920