Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XV920 CYCOM elimination and Ignition switch change

• Advertisement

Post a reply

XV920 CYCOM elimination and Ignition switch change

PostAuthor: firstoffive » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:49 pm

Hey guys. I bought a whole slew of new parts recently, on of which is an Acewell Speedometer! I am going through the process of removing my CYCOM (ugly @$$ thing), and I'm running into issues. The wiring for the Acewell is gloriously simple. As in, it only has thirteen wires going in. Now, I don't want to lose my starter cut-off relays. I like the safety of that a lot, but if it has to go to make this work, so be it. I have my CYCOM dissasembled, and I would love to use as many of the stock connectors as I can to make the bike as plug and play as possible. I do not have a garage currently, and that puts a major cramp in bike work. Since I don't have a garage, I do not have access to my entire wiring harness, just the bits that come out of the front of the bike. I would also like to replace the ignition switch, as I had to take it off to get my bars to sit right in relation to my tank. I have no idea how to do this properly, and any help would be appreciated.

My plan goes like this:
  1. Use as much of the original wiring harness as I can, preserving the cut-off relays
  2. Wire all warning lights into the hazard diode (optional)
  3. Figure out what wires I need and what ones I can cut at the connector
  4. Swap the ignition switch for something like thisImage
  5. Put my bike back together
  6. Get back on the roads because it is finally nice out here, and I am bored as hell of this isolation

I have attached pictures of the wiring diagram for my new speedometer, as well as the new speedo itself.

I seriously hope someone on here can help!
1982 Yamaha Virago XV920 - Cafe racer mod in progress
- Handlebar mounts swapped for 1985 Virago XV1000 brackets
- Bars changed to 28 inch drag bars
firstoffive
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Yamaha Virago XV920
Sex: Male

Re: XV920 CYCOM elimination and Ignition switch change

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:19 am

You will also need the stock wiring harness diagram in order to match which wire to connect to what. I would suggest cutting off part of the stock wires going into the instrument connectors and solder on the new wires where they belong. That way you retain your stock harness and can go back to a stocl CYCOM easily if all things else fail.

Googling, I came over these two:

"First thing first, the Cycom does a lot more than just display!!! I learned that the hard way. So, what you have to do is keep it, but hide it. Now, there is now way in heck that you can hide this massive beast, however, the "brains" of it are actually quite small. You need to disassemble the unit and keep the control bord inside, ditching the shell, LCD panel, and a few odds and ends. Note that if you really wanted to you can retain the signal lights for neutral, warning lights, etc. Now that you have this doo-dad out, you have to decide where to put it. You can either put it in the headlight enclosure (if you keep the stock one or replace it with a 7" or so) or you can do what I did. I got a leather tool pouch and hung it on the forks. Then I extended all the wires to make it long enough to reach the pouch. If you do this right you can hide absolutely everything!!!"

http://viragotech.com/newtech/relay%20c ... 0xv920.htm
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV920