VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Ignition coil/tachometer signal HELP!

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Ignition coil/tachometer signal HELP!

PostAuthor: k.huang402 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a proud owner of an 83 xv920 and I am trying to get signal from my coils to run my tachometer. I understand that I should tap my RPM signal wire into the negative wire of the ignition coil but which coil should I tap it into? The one that leads to the front cylinder or the rear? Also, both wires on each coil are Red and Orange. On diagrams I've seen one Red/Orange pair and one Red/Grey but that I not the case for me. My bike also idles the same with or without the front spark plug wire. Is that something to be concerned about?

k.huang402
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Yamaha XV920
Sex: Male

Re: Ignition coil/tachometer signal HELP!

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 am

k.huang402 wrote:which coil should I tap it into? The one that leads to the front cylinder or the rear?

Rear

k.huang402 wrote:On diagrams I've seen one Red/Orange pair and one Red/Grey but that I not the case for me.

What is your case? Someone replace the wires on ya?...Originally, the orange (Rear) will be the tach's signal wire. (Same orange wire that goes to igniter.) Red/Grey would be coil for #2 cylinder.

k.huang402 wrote: My bike also idles the same with or without the front spark plug wire. Is that something to be concerned about?

I would say so. If there's "no" diff in engine rpm when pulling off/on that wire..that cylinder isn't firing atm.

Least, that how I read it.... Maybe Dan (TRV) will confirm.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:24 am

The rear cylinder coil should have a red/white wire that has 12v with the ignition switch in the on position and the kill switch in the Run position. The other terminal on that coil is where the tach signal wire goes. If the rear cylinder is not firing, check the plug to make sure it isn't fouled, check the resistance on the coil. Pull the plug and ground the tip to see if you have spark. if so, make sure you are getting fuel.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: k.huang402 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:03 pm

Flyingdog wrote:
k.huang402 wrote:which coil should I tap it into? The one that leads to the front cylinder or the rear?

Rear

k.huang402 wrote:On diagrams I've seen one Red/Orange pair and one Red/Grey but that I not the case for me.

What is your case? Someone replace the wires on ya?...Originally, the orange (Rear) will be the tach's signal wire. (Same orange wire that goes to igniter.) Red/Grey would be coil for #2 cylinder.

k.huang402 wrote: My bike also idles the same with or without the front spark plug wire. Is that something to be concerned about?

I would say so. If there's "no" diff in engine rpm when pulling off/on that wire..that cylinder isn't firing atm.

Least, that how I read it.... Maybe Dan (TRV) will confirm.

Thanks for the info! Both ignition coils have a pair of Red/grey wire and Orange wire. I tapped the RPM signal wire to orange cylinder #1 (rear) coil and still did not get any reading. I googled xv920 ignition coils and it seems that both coils have the same color wires so I am assuming the coils are stock. This time when I pulled the front spark plug wire off the front cylinder, the bike shut off but now, when I pull the rear cylinder plug wire, nothing changes. Any reason why this reversed from the day before? Scratching my head.

k.huang402
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: k.huang402 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:07 pm

bstig60 wrote:The rear cylinder coil should have a red/white wire that has 12v with the ignition switch in the on position and the kill switch in the Run position. The other terminal on that coil is where the tach signal wire goes. If the rear cylinder is not firing, check the plug to make sure it isn't fouled, check the resistance on the coil. Pull the plug and ground the tip to see if you have spark. if so, make sure you are getting fuel.

I hooked the signal wire to the orange wire to the rear cylinder and I still did not get any reading. I will check for spark tomorrow. Thank you.

k.huang402
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:10 am

Let us know what you find. Keep in mind, engines need 3 things in order to run, compression, fuel, and spark. Have you had the carbs off? Do you still have the Cycom on the bike? If so, it may be bad or there may be an open signal or ground wire to the tach.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: k.huang402 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 pm

bstig60 wrote:Let us know what you find. Keep in mind, engines need 3 things in order to run, compression, fuel, and spark. Have you had the carbs off? Do you still have the Cycom on the bike? If so, it may be bad or there may be an open signal or ground wire to the tach.

I check for spark for both plugs and both are firing. I have compression and fuel. The motorcycle runs and have rode it around the parking lot. I am running off a M-Unit so no Cycom on the bike but the coils are still hooked up to the CDI. Are the Ignition coils self grounding because they were dangling off the bike when I was trying to hook up the signal wire to the orange wire on the coil. So, I still can't find a signal for the Tachometer to work. Is there another place I could hook this signal wire to?

k.huang402
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:06 pm

k.huang402 wrote:
bstig60 wrote:Let us know what you find. Keep in mind, engines need 3 things in order to run, compression, fuel, and spark. Have you had the carbs off? Do you still have the Cycom on the bike? If so, it may be bad or there may be an open signal or ground wire to the tach.

I check for a spark for both plugs and both are firing. I have compression and fuel. The motorcycle runs and have ridden it around the parking lot. I am running off an M-Unit so no Cycom on the bike but the coils are still hooked up to the CDI. Are the Ignition coils self-grounding because they were dangling off the bike when I was trying to hook up the signal wire to the orange wire on the coil. So, I still can't find a signal for the Tachometer to work. Is there another place I could hook this signal wire to?

Most likely an issue with the M unit wiring is causing both the misfire and the tach problem. If you are not using the Cycom, what are you using for a tach? The coils should be mounted to the frame.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:43 pm

The '83 XV920 didn't come with a Cycom. It had analog gauges. It's my favorite monoshock.
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:45 am

chrismalm wrote:The '83 XV920 didn't come with a Cycom. It had analog gauges. It's my favorite monoshock.

Chris, thanks. I am aware of that, i used to own one, but either the OP is confused with the year he owns or he has the wrong year 920 in his profile.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement