ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV920K
Sex: Male

Re: Hi from Sofia,Bulgaria with '83 XV920MK

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:00 am

Just heard the new exhaust last night.
With the dual TM38s' it appears that the bike can start and run on a single cylinder :)

We fixed that after couple of minutes, but it runs rich and poured fuel into the exhaust.
The result was spectacular - glowing pipe like F1 car and some nice flames out the back :)
Started and ran on one cylinder only due to bad plug cap on second cylinder.
Took some measurements for the custom cables and hopefully tomorrow will have the first couple ( from carbs to joint ) ready.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:57 am

Time for update:
A friend of mine made some clever brackets and cable joint for the bike, will post pics of that later cause the pictures are on my home pc.
The bike runs like a champ, took it home riding on saturday.
I do not have any gauges so cannot keep track of the speed or revs, but I can say it goes pretty close to what my previous bike felt like.
I used to own 2006 Husaberg FS650e factory supermoto - 60-70bhp and 115kgs weight. It was a blast to ride.
The Virago feels much like it, the throttle is like a trigger. Full opening is almost a full turn on the wrist, so it is hard to even get to the main jet operation.
But the bike launches, drifts and you just put the next gear - its acceleration is linear like torque is a flat "curve". It takes just a few seconds to feel my handlebar get lighter and the wind makes me wobble it around due to the wide grip of it ( same as the supermoto). On the supermoto that wobble appeared around 140km/h if I remember correctly.
I will make a 0-60 measure with an app I downloaded on my phone and will post a screenshot.
Here is a video when the idle air screw was a 1,5 turn out of soft seat - a bit rich I think :)
1,5 turns out - flames
Then we adjusted it to 2 turns and went all the way to 2,5 turns without any noticeable change, so left it at 2,5 turns out.
The bike is quite loud, too much for my liking , so will fabricate a DB killer and will see how this will perform.
Here is a closer look of the flames ;)
flames - close up

The exhaust gaskets are the original ones and obviously leak. Will ride it for some miles as is to let everything settle in - carbs, exhaust gaskets and will take it from there.
The one thing that concerns me is that the bike now makes me ride it On/Off on the throttle:)
I hope this will go away, cause I was like that on the supermoto and thought I am getting older and want a bike to cruise :)

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:01 am

Here are the promised pictures of the cable brackets including the ghetto style one side :)
But I had hard time getting the junction box produced, so we found other solution which is a draft on one side at least.
We have wrapped the carb mouths with Scotch 23 tape to get a good snug fit with stock flanges and clamps:
Installed new bar end mirrors:
Red hot pipe turned out a nice blue colour as you can see:

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: nanno » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:36 am

Told you, new carbs on a Virago/XV and the only thing you wonder, why you haven't done this A LOT earlier. Completely changes the nature of the beast. :bg:
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at (My blog - Greasygreg.blogspot.co.at)
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:14 am

Rode it for maybe 20-30 miles in city traffic last evening / night.
The air screw for idle mixture was originally at 2,5 turns from soft seat, but it banged a lot when I closed the throttle.
Decided that maybe it is too lean and after 10 miles only I returned it to 2 turns from soft seat.
Rode it like that for the rest of the trip, but no improvement what so ever :)
Now it not only bangs, but also shows quite some flames out the back - few car drivers got their thumbs up and commented the flames :bg:
The sound when accelerating is very nice, but I hope I will manage to remove those detonations from the whole package.
I will try to go 3 turns out to see how the bike behaves just out of interest and will try 2,25 turns as DGA suggested ( increments of 1/4 turn).
Apart from that , I was riding with a friend . His bike is 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer. On a steep uphill we run equal up to 140 km/h if he rides up to 8-9000 revs, while I have a hard time giving it full throttle ( maybe ride 3/4 because I need to really lay down on the tank to be able to twist the throttle to fully opened position.
So yeah, the beast is totally different now. I even managed to ride a bit normally, not using throttle On/Off only and it felt good + it made it quieter :)
The bike drifts and it is easy to control. Actually it is very easy because the mass is very low and the torque curve I guess is very constant.
To me on top of the exhaust it is irritating loud, but quite few people that are standing still while I pass or watch me leave, tell me the sound of the bike is marvelous and the rider stance and drift motion is fantastic.
I guess next thing will be to capture that in a video :bg:

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Wed May 03, 2017 7:07 am

A small delay will happen with that video that was planned.
I am having a strange issues with my bike and the AFR- it runs very rich and cannot affect it enough by turning the idle mixture screw.
Will probably try to lower the needles to default position.
The idle mixture screws that control the AIR are not set at 3,5 turns out of soft seat and they were up to 4 turns out.
The maximum revolutions out for the VM models is 3 turns, probably the same with TM model.
The default settings is 1,5 turn and can be seen here:
Even with 3,5-4 turns out I am still having flames coming out of the exhaust and my drum brake cover is turning black slowly :bg:
The bikes bangs a lot on deceleration , but having the idle mixture screws at 3,5 turns out seems to be optimum. It doesn't bang right after I close the throttle, more like when it reaches lower revs - something like 2000-2500 revs ( I do not have dash ).
I am thinking to buy leaner pilot jets now. They are sold in increments of 2,5. Thinking to buy 17,5 and 20 size to test.
I read Nanno is using 17,5 in his VM38 so maybe that is a good starting point since the carbs are close to one another as models.
I want to adjust the idle mixture screws at 2 turns maximum, cause I feel those 3,5-4 turns is not normal - they are probably getting close to fall off.
The idle hand screws on the other hand are 4 turns out ( rotated counter clock wise ) of maximum thread tight. Default settings was 3,5 turns if my information is correct and can be seen here:
DGA,do you remember how yours were set? Mine got tweaked because my friend who helps me build my bike played around with them prior to mounting so all factory settings were lost.
Haven't had too much time to play around with the bike, last evening I tried all sorts of adjustments of the idle mixture screws and left it as written above at 3,5 turns out.
On top of that the ABS 3D printed adapters are all busted open, which also affects the way the bike runs although maybe not by much.
I guess my mistake was I pressed those adapters by a bit too much force. Another thing I am noticing is that the carbs are moving with engine pulsations in and out of the carb mouths by little which maybe is another reason for adapters failure.
Will investigate that moving issue of especially the right carb to front cylinder, because I think it moves too much.
The worst reason would be to have intake valve problem and to have flow in the wrong direction. Also the carb mouths and even the stock rubber angled pieces from frame to carb are wet with fuel.
Another issue with my bike is the exhaust copper gaskets are leaking and I am still waiting for the new ones to arrive.
This doesn't help either. So a little too many issues with my bike at the moment and will take them a step at a time.
First I will reproduce the 3D printed files , but with other dimensions, because I guess using the Scotch 23 tape keeps the carb outward and shortens the length of the adapter.
Here is what I had ordered as dimensions for my bike with the Scotch 23 tape:
So, I have plenty more to do before I can confidently say the bike is all sorted. Haven't even read the plugs yet, but not a big point with all the issues still present and the flames out the back - it is clearly very rich. Will check the float levels too, because haven't done it - thought the factory settings are trustworthy.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Haven't posted anything in here mainly due to the stupid photobucket change in policy, which resulted in pretty much ruining my progress shown here.
Anyway, here is how the bike looked at the end of 2017 season:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4aCyNJHBSvqsA5n53
We have completed Stage 1 progress with mu friend. It consists of removing wheels, rear part of bike and bottom piece of frame for repaint. New Tyres 120/90-17 front and 150/80-16 Rear Pirelli MT66 Routes. Here is the progress so far:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PRWKKwrii0j3Lmaq2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2yOK8wymqXqWVSmf1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FpokfRKHEgSJA2Wc2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LDZj9tzHCSyXVIhH2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dwlrP44NCCC5Xcop2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/b5dOqRTn7k6TiIvj2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZRHltF6kiCefeGWx1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rv8wJJRbeVQ08rz62
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mWmqIFv0tZWEuUpr1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VuBskUDbncHyZBMY2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZIdhJnmhRcWz37ll2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHqBXkXZCAHXDxSq2

Now we will start Stage 2 - fuel tank fix and respray, front forks and triple trees paint, frame paint.
Will update once I have new pictures.

p.s. Can't seem to make the pictures work or at least preview, would appreciate a little help with that.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:39 pm

ivogiev wrote:Haven't posted anything in here mainly due to the stupid photobucket change in policy,

The same thing or something similar will happen with google at some point. Google bought Picasa and now picasa photos have disappeared. That is why I encourage everyone to attach photos to their post or use their VTF album to host their photos.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:08 pm

Looking good! Thanks for the new links.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Mon May 06, 2019 11:37 am

Sorry for the late update, but haven't even had time to ride the bike.
Last year it turned out that my flow bowls level is high which explains why my bike ran too rich at factory settings and didn't respond to my adjustments.
But before we found this I have leaned the pilot jets to 17,5 and actually made the bike run OK.
The high flow bowl levels were making fuel to dip on my leg on full acceleration.
So after few e-mails with Topham Mikuni dealer I understood what is the base line for measuring of their heights and adjusted them accordingly.
Strange is that both carbs were off by the same 2 mm, but anyway I have lowered the flow bowl levels of both.
Less than a week ago I have swapped back the stock 22.5 pilot jets and returned the needles to middle position.
Yesterday me and a friend managed to get a quick action throttle from a gilera or something like that with Dellorto 28mm to run with my TM38-85.
Now the full throttle is achieved in 90 degrees of rotation or so.
Weather is bad now so will ride it later on.
On start up I am loosing front cylinder due to bad high tension cable cap I think, because when I start to pull this cap off the cylinder starts to work.
Will go with these guys to order silicone 7mm cable and new caps:
https://www.gsparkplug.com/ignition/ignition-lead-lengths
I have not been around for a long time and see a lot of ignitech units discussed, so I have to catch up I guess.
I was thinking for the C5 ignition, but decided not to spend so much money and I am glad I didn't cause I haven't even ridden my bike.
Will measure the stock coils for the 155 ohms, but I am thinking for an Accel coil upgrade - any input on users with such are more than welcome.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: AlexandarByankov » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Hey there.
I'm from Plovdiv mate.Making the same bike as yours.
Александър Бянков. Find me in facebook i think we have a lotto share.
1982 XV920J(10 000 miles engine)
FRONT

R1 FRONT END(forks,brakes,triple tree)-done
Separete 2 braking sport hose-done
Custom gold handle bar-done
New switches,grips,throtle,footrest-done
FRONT CBR 954 15" WHEEL WITH 130/90METZELER-done

Engine/Shaft/Exhaust/Intake

CUSTOM 2 IN 1 Y PIPE-done
Heat wraph them-done
CARBS-Rejjeting stage 3 with pod filters.

Electrical:

CUSTOM WIRING-done
New Starter solenoid-done
New R/R-done
XV1100 CDI-done

Starter fixed(turn over the gear on the fresh side)-done

Back:
SirDocWolf 2nd gen convertion with 150/90 Rear tire.
Custom Subframe
Custom Seat
Custom plate number

AlexandarByankov
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920J VIRAGO

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Some updates, and I will try to upload the pictures here instead of the damn 3rd party sites.
So my carb flanges, one of them got shot and contacted Mikuni for a new one suitable for TM38-85.
Turned out they do not have such flange unless I lathe the OD from 47mm to 43mm.
I managed to find a silicone hose with ID =45mm , which was promising but only came in blue :ops:
Anyway, I managed to slide it over the carb's body and ordered aluminium flanges that will fit my set-up.
So here are some pics, tomorrow will assemble and will see how it goes.
IMG-f10c3ece56ea3404a5ec1562dcf04443-V.jpg

IMG_20190822_094908.jpg

IMG_20190830_161607.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Ita » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:01 am

An awesome and interesting journey...

Keep up the good work!

Ita
I'm a black bat baby,
Bangin' on your window pane.
Well I'm a black bat babe,
I need my high octane.

Ita
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 XV 750 Virago (Café Racer Retirement Project)

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Some more pictures of flanges after install with O-rings from Viton 42x2,65mm. Also have cut some gaskets, but decided to try out the O-rings first. So far are OK. I have test rode it on open carbs for 5 km, all works fine. Works a lot leaner like that, especially rear cylinder the carb on which points to the front :) It gets so much air that it leaned out the sparks. Tomorrow or on Sunday will ride it and will check the color of the spark plugs just to compare.
IMG_20190906_174211.jpg

IMG_20190906_174231.jpg

IMG_20190906_213046.jpg

IMG_20190906_213058.jpg

IMG_20190906_213422.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Ita » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:11 am

Hey mate...

Mikuni do make and/or supply those parts, because I just bought this kit...

https://www.mikunioz.com/shop/tm38-miku ... c98ba2045f

Ita
I'm a black bat baby,
Bangin' on your window pane.
Well I'm a black bat babe,
I need my high octane.

Ita
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 XV 750 Virago (Café Racer Retirement Project)

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:59 am

Ita wrote:Hey mate...

Mikuni do make and/or supply those parts, because I just bought this kit...

https://www.mikunioz.com/shop/tm38-miku ... c98ba2045f

Ita

Strange, cause I have contacted Mikuni Germany - Topham dealer and they were not aware of such flanges in their database.
I guess it is a custom spec item for down under and looks great.
Managed to produce mine so all is fine. I just get back home from the same route and retest of the carbs with their rubber hoses through frame connected to the K&N air filter.
Color of plugs looks pretty good, bike feels good. A little numb while on pilot jet, but once you crack it and main starts to play - runs sideways and puts smile every time.
If i try to make pilot richer the starting will be an issue, so will leave it as it is. Will synchro the carbs and fix the idle. I am thinking for the 6205 camshaft ball bearing fix while the engine is all assembled and on the bike, so I will give myself some time to run the bike after this mod.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:08 am

I have just asked SKF the following message to understand which model of 6205 bearing should I exactly buy:

Hello, I own a 1983 Yamaha VX920 Virago motorcycle which has been designed to have a solid bush instead of bearing on its camshafts. A lot of people are swapping those bushes to a 6205 ball bearings which are direct fit, but they remove one or both protective seals to allow oil from the engine to pass through the bearing. The engine is V-twin, aircooled and operates above 100 degrees C. I have read about NoWear version of bearings, but maybe you can advise best which kind of 6205 should be used? Basically the bearing will support the camshaft, on one side the cam chain sprocket will feed some oil and on the other the heads oiling supply will lubricate quite much. Therefor I think the 6205 shouldn't be sealed at all, but which version should I choose regarding the operating temperature? I guess it will be 100-130 degrees C during oil lubrication in traffic.
Regards,
Ivo

Will be interesting to see what they will reply. Does anyone measured what is the operating temp of our engines or their oil?
I have also rode it on Sofia Ring to see how the plugs will look like - quite lean actually, but strange is that in traffic they show up normal. I guess my idle is kind of rich.
I have played with the brass screws for air mixture , but will return them as they were and will maybe lift the needle position. Will see cause I ride it mostly in traffic.
I have asked a friend to measure the distance and filled before and after the 54km trip - consumption is 5.5 liters/100 km on 100 octane gas.
front cylinder on pilot jet.jpg

rear cylinder on pilot jet.jpg

rear cylinder on main jet.jpg

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 pm

ivogiev wrote:--- Does anyone measured what is the operating temp of our engines or their oil? ---
--- on 100 octane gas.

IIRC [and according to my Harbor Freight IR thermometer] :naughty: operating temps run generally about 180 to 200 degrees F. (& vary with ambient temps)
another reason why having your oil clean and fresh is so important ... it not only lubes engine, but also cools it some.

FWIW: using 100 octane fuel probably isn't doing you any favor.
Virago engine was designed to run on "regular" grade gas which may save you some $$ and perhaps better performance. :con:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:59 am

mark75 wrote:
ivogiev wrote:--- Does anyone measured what is the operating temp of our engines or their oil? ---
--- on 100 octane gas.

IIRC [and according to my Harbor Freight IR thermometer] :naughty: operating temps run generally about 180 to 200 degrees F. (& vary with ambient temps)
another reason why having your oil clean and fresh is so important ... it not only lubes engine, but also cools it some.

FWIW: using 100 octane fuel probably isn't doing you any favor.
Virago engine was designed to run on "regular" grade gas which may save you some $$ and perhaps better performance. :con:

Mark, thanks for the input.
The given degrees F equals to 80-90 degrees C. I thought the air cooled run on higher than liquid cooled engines, but maybe I was wrong.
I put 100 octane in mine cause I have not ridden it for almost two years and wanted to put the best possible gas to mix with the old one.
Plus I had that gas in storage to begin with, cause it was for my 2 stroke go kart :)
But otherwise I run 95 octane, which is our regular one here in Bulgaria.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PreviousNext

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV920