VTF Google Search
 Click Here

1983 920 suggestions

• Advertisement

Post a reply

1983 920 suggestions

PostAuthor: Mywifesaidno » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Hey guys!
I'm new to the fourm. I have a 1983 920 I just got running. Its has the rocks in the box noise from the left case cover. I popped it off and it looks like the idler gear has been worn on both sides as if someone has already flipped it.. the flywheel is a disaster.. teeth are very worn The bike will still start but take a few bumps.. the bendix and everything seems to be working as it should, when I pulled the cover off the idler gear was about 70% on the flywheel so I'm not sure why the teeth are all ground down on the flywheel and gear. I have a used flywheel from another 1983 920 on the way, and will post pix when the cover comes back off. I'm not sure if I'm on the right part of the fourm but I'm looking for some suggestions! Thanks for reading!
Mywifesaidno
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1983 920
Sex: Male

Re: 1983 920 suggestions

PostAuthor: Mywifesaidno » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 pm

This isn't my flywheel but very similar.
Mywifesaidno
Brand New
Brand New

PostAuthor: drainplug » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 pm

That looks about typical, the good hews is the 750 flywheel is the same size. From what I've read here I think those can be reworked. I found a low mileage 82 that I scab parts from when I need them.
BTW, I love your handle Mywifesaidno. I know better than to ask!
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Howdy and Welcome.

920 is "best" for 920, but Virago Help Gen. or VH Tech will get help too.

FWIW: ALL new-posts show in the same place so there is no advantage to posting to more than one forum. [in fact it could slow reply by 'splitting' attention]
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Mywifesaidno » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks guys! So I got a used flywheel out of a another 1983 920 and it's in good shape. I have on order, the starter gear brake(clip), the idler gear 2 brake(clip) and spring in hope's it will help the gear 2 return more appropriately. Should I get a new gear 2? Mines is worn on both sides but nothing like the flywheel. Just trying to get better contact and less smashing when starting. The bike is nothing pretty but I would like to hit the start button and go.
Mywifesaidno
Brand New
Brand New

PostAuthor: drainplug » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:47 pm

I would say yes and if you can find a good 4 brush starter.
Some here say the ground connections are fine as they are but I did all the ones recommended a few years ago and it seemed to help.
One that I am sure helped is I ran a clean new ground cable to the 6mm bolt that holds the top battery mount to the frame, Then I attached the rest of the ground wires there too.
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV920