VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Flywheel JAMMED

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Flywheel JAMMED

PostAuthor: k.huang402 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Hey everyone,

This is my first post so please bare with me.

I have an 83 xv920 and I've been trying to get this bike to turn over. My first thought was the common starter system to which I replaced the starter motor and #2 idler gear. When trying to run it with a fully charged battery, I hear the dreaded grinding noise which sounds like it's from the #2 idler gear and the flywheel. I check to make sure the starter motor was turning clockwise as well but to omit all possibilities and it turns correctly. The flywheel is in pretty good condition and not overly worn down as well.

I then tried to turn the fly wheel clockwise (in Neutral) with a ratchet and it does not seem to turn. I am assuming this is the cause of my problem but do not know what to do from here. I am up for suggestions. Thank you.

UPDATE****
Since I couldn't turn the flywheel clockwise, I turned it counter clockwise with hopes that the pistons were not seized. I was able to give it about a half turn before I wasn't able to turn it anymore. I sprayed some WD-40 in both of the cylinders and did a quarter turn and sprayed some more WD-40. I left it at a quarter turn where it felt easiest to turn hoping the starter system will catch the flywheel at its easiest position. I tried to fire it up and now the #2 idler gear engages with the flywheel and cranks but does not start.

k.huang402
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1982 Yamaha XV920
Sex: Male

Re: Flywheel JAMMED

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:00 pm

attack one issue at a time.

so does the starter turn it over ok? [disregarding the sound- it will always be 'vocal']
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: k.huang402 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:46 pm

mark75 wrote:attack one issue at a time.

so does the starter turn it over ok? [disregarding the sound- it will always be 'vocal']

Yes, it does turn over for a few seconds and then it sounds like the #2 ilder gear disengages and goes back to grinding.

k.huang402
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1982 Yamaha XV920

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:15 pm

I am confused. You said you could not turn the engine over clockwise using the crankshaft nut and then you said it turns over a few times with the starter. Which is it?? If you cannot turn the engine over with a wrench something is broken inside the engine... You need to find out what. I assume you had the plugs removed when you were trying to turn the engine with a wrench. Correct??
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:29 pm

ditto.
pull the plugs [ground them to cylinders so you don't over-tax the ignition, and to can see if they spark]
crank it over for 15 to 30 seconds - to see 1) spark, 2) if engine turns consistently.

be advised that Gen-I starter system is known for sounding like it has a bucket-o-rocks in there.
it can be disconcerting, but is "normal".

if the idler gear disengages the engine will not turn over. is that what is happening?
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV920