Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Front Brakes dragging

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Front Brakes dragging

PostAuthor: Paulb88 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 am

Recently bought bike and noticed front brakes dragging. Does not seem to affect riding but very concerning when trying to push the bike or loading it on a trailer. Checked bearings, put new pads on, cleaned everything, still dragging and can barely turn front wheel by hand. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :):

Paulb88
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago 920J
Sex: Male

Re: Front Brakes dragging

PostAuthor: eddy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:15 am

Hoyhoy.

When ya say cleaned everything is that changing the fluid as well.

Hooroo.
1998 Virago 1100

eddy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1998 xv1100 Virago

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:20 am

Since brakes are what usually save your bacon in an emergency, I would strip and overhaul and replace the brake hoses if still original. Most likely, your issue stems from caliper piston seals pushing too hard against the pistons due to buildup of corrosion between the seal and housing itself.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:18 am

:yup:

You want those pads to move in their respective calipers when at rest. Meaning: pistons should retract ever-so-slightly when pressure is eased off the lever. They may even rattle when riding. But that's why they have anti-rattle clips (duh). Good/light sanding with 1000grit emery cloth usually will clean off crap from the piston. Besure to check all the rubber seals, too..for cracking/shrink'n etc. Ya don't want more crap getting into your clean brakes down there.. Be sure to check for clear return hole in the reservoir. This is usually the reason brake pads don't retract, cuz the fluid will not flow back into the reservoir cuz of the blocked return hole. That..or air in the lines. It's all pretty straight forwards, but something ya don't want to lose function...unless your flat-track'n, where if you have brakes, you usually won't get on the track. New fluid..that's a no-brainer. Bottom line: no..you should get no noticeable drag turning the front wheel by hand.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: eslmatt » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:44 am

:VTF:

I live in a place where no one maintains their cars or bikes. Whenever I or my friends buy something used, we change all the fluids.

This topic has come up a few times in the past few months. There is often a debate about replacing lines. I don't feel like looking through my old posts to find it, but I did research on how hoses brake down. Basically when water gets absorbed into the fluid through the rubber in the brake line, it forms an acid and starts eating away at the rubber and the metal in the system. The calipers have lots of metal, the hoses are a bigger issue. If you change the fluid every 2 years like the manual says, yes they will last a long time. If they are original, they are 35 years old.

I live in China, I trust the brake hoses here. It is not expensive to order some stainless steel lines on ebay and swap them over when cleaning everything else. Just measure the length of the hose, and make sure it uses a 10mm banjo bolt. Not everyone agrees on Chinese parts...
1984 VX750 Japanese special - stolen - RECOVERED
build thread -> http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=58187&sid=e4ab82933609aa211c1efb06cf000508

2010 Jailing 110 customized

When asking how, also tell me why.

eslmatt
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986+ xv750 Japanese special

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:41 pm

get a rebuilt kit for your calipers and for your master cylinder. get SS lines. your brake system is 35+ years old and who knows of it's past history
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 XV920RH
82 Virago XV750 USA, shafty
78 Suzuki GS750
81 Suzuki GS750 (on a chopping block to become a bobber)
85 Dnepr MT10-36 (RIP and then stolen)
91 Dnepr MT11-32 (Stolen)

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV920