Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Fork Upgrade Questions and pretty pictars

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Fork Upgrade Questions and pretty pictars

PostAuthor: TheMightyQuinn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:11 pm

So I've got this here '82 XV920 and I've kinda been turning it into a pseudo adventure bike. I'm finally getting some work done to prepare it for this years adventuring, and digging into doing the fork seals and fluid has gotten me thinking. What things, if any, has anyone done to improve offroad performance? I've seen plenty of threads about the progressive springs, but those seem best suited to on road travelling as they stiffen the front end and I'd like to go softer. And taller. I'll be putting in a lighter weight fluid, but i dont rrally know what to do past that. I'd like to get rid of the air adjustable crap, as I've found air adjustable things to be quite underwhelming for offroad duty. Are there any taller forks that may work with the standard front wheel setup? Ive been thinking of looking into KLR650 forks (or something similar) but as I've just put on a fresh front tire, that will wait atleast one season till i burn this one off. Any thoughts and ideas anyone has would be welcome.

Now, some pretty pictars..

And just for the heck of it, heres a burnout vidya.
https://youtu.be/M5yb9l5JRvU
'82 XV920
'80 XS850S
'80 GS450L
Rossini Chrome
Pieces of an RD400
Some old CB650 parts
TheMightyQuinn
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: Fork Upgrade Questions and pretty pictars

PostAuthor: drainplug » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:35 pm

On the fork question, KLR forks may work but they would have to be re-sprung. Back in 1992 I was on a Dualsport ride in the Sierras and a guy had a Sportster with KX500 forks that worked pretty well. You are going to have the problem that the Cafe folks are having, the steering head spindle will have to fit into the Virago frame.
As to the "Adventure" bike thing, with a shafty you are stuck with the gearing you have.
There was somebody in 1990 that rode a 750 on the Dualsport ride from Barstow, Calif. to Las Vegas. He rode it stock from San Fransisco to Barstow, had dirt tires mounted then rode dirt to Vegas. Put the street tires back on and rode back to San Fran. so it can be done.
There's folks on here turning these into "Trackers" that look good but I'm not too sure how good they perform.
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: TheMightyQuinn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:40 pm

True, there is a fitment issue. I'm bot sure what size the fork tubes on a KLR are, I'm sure they're probably bigger, but I'm curious if there was something with the right tube size to just clamp into the stock triples. If not, there may be some machining and playing with bearing sizes to get it to fit right. I've looked into the matter somewhat extensively for putting a newer sport bike front on my XS, but have since decided to go a different route. But more because of how I want that bike to look than shying away from some work. The main reasons for wanting to try some different forks are not just offroad performance, but to gain some ground clearance. Depending on how much will open up more issues with raising the rear though, i think. Mayhaps causing some issues with the shaft drive binding.

As for gearing in the 920, I've found it to be more than adequate for my doings. For the terrain I usually run (bigger ATV trails and lots of dirt/gravel roads) I find myself in third most of the time. The motor has enough torque to push this thing past what me and the suspension can handle, that's for sure. Stock gearing is pretty narrow for what it is. If i could change gearing, I'd actually like to lower it to make it more highway friendly. Being a shaft drive does have distinct advantages. I'll never have a chain jump off a sprocket or break a tooth, nor clog up a chain with mud or any of that stuff. But, there is definitely a reason you don't see any modern shaft drive adventure bikes. In fact, I don't think there ever really was one.
'82 XV920
'80 XS850S
'80 GS450L
Rossini Chrome
Pieces of an RD400
Some old CB650 parts
TheMightyQuinn
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: 68guns » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Dig the pics and was thinking about turning mine into a bobber but yours looks like way more fun! Where did you get that headlight? Much work to install?
- Jerry

68guns
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 85 XV1000

PostAuthor: 68guns » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Oh, and just watched the burnout video. Couldn't stop laughing! You're crazy, loved it!!!
- Jerry

68guns
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 85 XV1000

PostAuthor: drainplug » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:07 am

True enough on the torque for these and if you're riding open terrain it should be okay. In the tighter stuff you'll have to feather the clutch and forget single track!
As for shaft drive dirt bikes the venerable BMW R100 GSPD the Paris Dakar replica was pretty capable. BMW still has the GS big twins which are selling and reselling really well. Check the market for used prices!

Rear wheel travel on the XVs is too short for a good true off-roader but if you can scrape the lard off the pig it sure could help.
Chrome won't get you home!
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: TheMightyQuinn » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Jerry, glad you like it and could entertain you! I've got a few other videos on that youtube channel you may enjoy.

The headlight i found on craigslist, but it came from a kawasaki ninja, unsure of the year but i think it's a 250. I see now they use the same headlight on the KLR650 though. The little bug screen thing is a piece from a winsheild from a winjammer fairing. I used a heat gun to get it malleable to form better to the headlight and used some double sided tape to fasten it to the headlight. I used some basic universal headlight mounts designed for a standard round headlight that clamp onto the fork tubes, but i had to make a small bracket adapter thing to get them to interface at the proper position. It took me a full saturday of casual work start to finish including removing the old headlight bracketry.

These things are a good bit too cumbersome to be attempting single track. You'd be better served walking. Lol. And I guess i didnt realize the GS bikes were shaft drive. They're a good bit out of my price range, so I never really looked into them. In a few years when the Africa Twins start coming up used for decent prices, I'll be looking at them pretty hard. I'd love me a super tenere, but they're just so big. I can only put one foot tiptoed on the ground when at a stand still, and that's with the seat in the lowest position!
'82 XV920
'80 XS850S
'80 GS450L
Rossini Chrome
Pieces of an RD400
Some old CB650 parts
TheMightyQuinn
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: drainplug » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:33 pm

The singles are chain, the boxer twins the Bricks are shaft and BMW's around here start at $4,000
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: TheMightyQuinn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm

My current max budget ends at $2000 and there are no BMW dealerships within a reasonable area, so i can't even go fondle the new ones. I could probly buy one real nice bike if I sold all of mine, but then I'd only have one. And that just wouldn't do.
'82 XV920
'80 XS850S
'80 GS450L
Rossini Chrome
Pieces of an RD400
Some old CB650 parts
TheMightyQuinn
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV920