VTF Google Search
 Click Here

New owner of old '82 XV750

• Advertisement

Post a reply

New owner of old '82 XV750

PostAuthor: markjs » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:29 pm

OK now I feel dumb, but how do I get the seat off? :;:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

markjs
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750 (pending)
Sex: Male

Re: New owner of old '82 XV750

PostAuthor: Libertate » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm assuming it's the same as my '81. Should be a lock on the right side of the frame (as you're sitting in the bike), just below the seat and forward of the rear shock dampening adjuster. Turn it clockwise and the seat should lift off with a little persuasion.

Libertate
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1981 and 1982 XV750 Viragos

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:44 pm

:VTF:
mark: Don't feel dumb. When the lock is gone..kinda tuff to figure that one out. :bg:

That seat is held in-place by two pivoting arms, one each side (frame high), bout straight in at the point where the lock should be. Kinda like pincer levers attach to the seat pan. Somehow, you have to get something up in there to pull the back side of these two pincer like levers. The action of turning the key/lock just pushes on of these arms, releasing both sides from the slots in the frame. IIRC...if you remove the battery, there's room to get a hook or something up there. You can see the slots the levers hook into. Only one side needs to move as both side move together. Then just matter of pushing the seat "back" till it unhooks from a holding strap at the back. Good luck.
Seat Lock.PNG

Never done it, but one can also get a socket on the two 10mm(?) nuts under the rear of the seat. This will release the rear holding brace. Not sure what that will actually do other than lifting the rear of seat.

Maybe this will give ya an idea what you're deal'n with:
DSC_0001.JPG

Damn...never knew explaining a seat lock was sooo involved. :bg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: markjs » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 pm

OK I got the seat off, what I got is a mess, I got like 5 solenoids and nothing that clearly connects to the bike. No idea what all is missing on the battery side, is it pretty much just solenoid to starter? If so missing that cable.

markjs
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750 (pending)

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750