Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

94' 750 Front wheel bearing or brakes?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

94' 750 Front wheel bearing or brakes?

PostAuthor: Chicago2VP71 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 pm

So I took the old girl on a 100 mile cruise today. I know the front pads are at the end of their life but I also believe the calipers need some grease as one side is worn more than the other. Well today all the sudden a scratching/rubbing noise of the metal on metal variety started coming from the front wheel. It fluctuates with ground speed not engine speed. So I put the bike on the jack stand and inspected the front pads. One side has literally maybe an 1/8th of an inch or 1/16th of an inch of pads left. Spinning the wheel does recreate the noise. I have two new fresh sets of front EBC pads I will throw on this upcoming week and re grease the slide pins. Is it possible though the front bearing could be bad? If so is that a daunting task? Thanks guys! I will go to the garage later this evening and get a picture of the pads to help in this E-diagnosis lol. Thanks guys.

Edit: After taking a closer look in the garage it looks to me as if one of the front rotors/discs are slightly warped... Doing a quick search I'm not finding oem rotors any cheaper than $160 a piece. Is that for real?
Last edited by Chicago2VP71 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chicago2VP71
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 Virago 750
Sex: Male

Re: 94' 750 Front wheel bearing or brakes?

PostAuthor: Chicago2VP71 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Not the best pictures but you can see how worn down the pads are on the left side.

https://imgur.com/a/TRVXjkU

Chicago2VP71
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Chicago2VP71 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:08 pm

If it is the bearings which it has to be if it's not the pads would these work?

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/all- ... JUQAvD_BwE

Chicago2VP71
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:46 am

Chicago2VP71 wrote:Doing a quick search I'm not finding oem rotors any cheaper than $160 a piece. Is that for real?

Be curious how you determined the rotor is warped. Dial indicator? Pulsating brake? Wear of the pads? Sometimes discs can mimic being warped. Some warped brake disc that I've come across have had uneven patches of friction material from the pads on the surface of the disc. These patches cause variation in thickness (run-out) and the vibration under braking. Hence, simulating a warped rotor or throw off a dial gauge. Or just feel funny under braking. Which is also kinda weird, as 75%+ (guesstimate) of riders have no idea how the brake properly. Heh.. $160? Compare those to something like HP Brembos, then they'll seem like a deal. I just dropped $700, to freshen-up my starter system. Meaning:..absolutely nothing. It is what it is.
You're wondering if that noise is pads vs. bearings? Either/or...if your caliper is sticking..yep the pad can squeal. Even brand new pads will make noise if the rotors are not clean, the pads are not beveled and bedded properly to the rotors..buncha reasons. You also wondered if bearings can go bad? Hell yes..even brand new ones, if cocked just slightly. On your 94'...I highly doubt it, though. Both my bikes still have originals. Coarse I maintain them. Change the pads, fluid, clean calipers, master cylinder, make sure the piston cups retract.... then I'd imagine you'd know. :;: Oh, one more thing I noticed and it's JMO.....grease'n the sliders isn't always a good thing. Where as: grease can attract/and hold more crap than a clean/dry slider pin. Just something to think about..ya can go either way. It's the ole "dry or oiled" air filter dilemma.
Guess the bottom line is, it's just the price of owning a bike. Kinda seems there was alotta hidden things that should have been caught before the buy. (AKA: Worn Pads and/or feel of the rotors.)
Long winded way of saying, 99% of the time, it will be the pads (and/or it's the wear indicator). Cuz, being that worn, you'll have more of the puck/piston sticking out and more of a chance the pad(s) will not release from the rotor.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:12 am

My money is on bearings, I experienced the same thing. Replacing them is not difficult.

You’re going to replace the front tire, that is the time to replace the bearings.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:21 am

Just thinking, when you take the calipers off to change the pads, spin the wheel; if it makes a noise it's bearings. Grab the wheel top and bottom, try rocking it. If it moves, it's loose bearings.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:28 am

Mine didn’t make any noise when the weight was off.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Chicago2VP71 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:24 pm

The only reason I suspect bearings is because the noise does not change with pressure on the front brake and it slightly makes the noise when spinning the wheel off the ground. Will report back later with an update.

Chicago2VP71
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Chicago2VP71 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:48 pm

Here's a video usually the brakes I've heard that are worn/pads shot is a grinding sound. This is a weird high pitch/squeel gets worse the faster you go of course. Bikes going to the shop on Tuesday to have tires put on and I'll have them check it out more in depth but have you heard that before?

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/532976904

Chicago2VP71
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Chicago2VP71 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm

Ordered a new set of front and rear bearings will replace them along with front and rear pads. Bike goes into an actual bike shop this week where they will check the discs as well. Praying that it's bearings or pads as I don't want to drop $350 on front discs LOL.

Chicago2VP71
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:57 pm

JMO: bearing is a more lower pitch rumbly / grindy kinda noise (and maybe even feel?), while pads higher pitch squeeky / scratchy sound ...

noise issues are tough, sorta' like locational to get right [ya' almost have to be there and hear it]
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Chicago2VP71 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:24 pm

mark75 wrote:JMO: bearing is a more lower pitch rumbly / grindy kinda noise (and maybe even feel?), while pads higher pitch squeeky / scratchy sound ...

noise issues are tough, sorta' like locational to get right [ya' almost have to be there and hear it]

I won't know until I get them off and have someone use a dial indicator but I swear just by eye sight when the wheel is spinning I feel like I see the right rotor warped when it spins. If that's the case do we know if anyone has ever run these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Front-Brake ... %3A2334524

Two rotors for $100 seems like a hell of a deal.

Chicago2VP71
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:16 pm

Chicago2VP71 wrote:
mark75 wrote:JMO: bearing is a more lower pitch rumbly / grindy kinda noise (and maybe even feel?), while pads higher pitch squeeky / scratchy sound ...

I won't know until I get them off and have someone use a dial indicator but I swear just by eye sight when the wheel is spinning I feel like I see the right rotor warped when it spins. If that's the case do we know if anyone has ever run these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Front-Brake ... %3A2334524

Two rotors for $100 seems like a hell of a deal.

sounds like a nice deal on new S/S discs. (tho shipping might be ^$$

you could check run out (on-bike) for not too much >>> https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_sale.php
>>> or https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=dial%20indicator
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750