Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

"Protector"

• Advertisement

Post a reply

"Protector"

PostAuthor: koreywill » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:42 am

Hello to all! 1988 Virago 750 39,421 miles I changed the oil a while back (had to change brands as original was no longer available) and now I seem to have more "dripping" than I remember along the seam where the crankcase halves come together at the bottom of the engine. It's maybe a drop a day so it's not pouring out. On the right side bottom of the engine towards the front is something the parts diagram calls "PROTECTOR 4X7-15491-00-00" and there is a bunch of oil around it. It's held on by 2 allen head bolts. I have not yet taken it off to clean up around it but before I do, does anyone know what it "protects"? It looks like there is no gasket between it and the crankcase so i don't believe it seals an opening into the crankcase.
Also, does anyone have a favorite "snake oil" product that may help stop/slow down the seepage?
Thanks for any help at all and Happy New Year!

koreywill
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1988 Yamaha Virago XV750
Sex: Male

Re: "Protector"

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:03 am

It protects the oil level sensor. Dripping oil indicates the 0-ring around the sensor is going bad. Don't have to drain oil just to pull the protector, but you'll have to drain the oil before pulling out the sensor. Have no idea what size that 0-ring is. When ya find out, just pop the sensor out and replace. Might be about to squeak by-by cleaning the old one and lube'n with some sealant. Don't know, never tried. Be up to you.

#31---> https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... ectrical-1

What it looks like in real-life--> https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-1999-YAMA ... SwLlpZtrfI

Yep..if ya switched from a petroleum oil to a synthetic.....any leak you had then... will leak "more", after the switch.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: koreywill » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:42 am

Hey Flyingdog: Well I'll be damned! So that's where the oil level sensor is. I was looking at the wrong parts diagram. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I took off the "protector" and it seems the o ring has been seeping for quite a while. What a mess. I'm in the midst of cleaning that all up, will reinstall the protector, then go for a ride to warm it all up, drain the oil, pull the sensor, and then go find a replacement o ring. I notice Yamaha doesn't offer the o ring as an individual part but rather as an "assembly" (love those "assemblies") so I'll head to the auto parts store and see if I can find a match. Might as well go for a new one if I can find it as the old one is original making it 32 years old. Probably a tad brittle
To remove the sensor it looks like I just gently twist, pry, and pull. We'll see how that goes.
Regarding the oil: I actually went from Castrol Syntec 20W50 to Castrol GTX 20W50 because I could not longer find the Syntec. Both are synthetic so I'm a little surprised at the seepage but, probably a whole different package of additives for each. The seepage is not disastrous by any means but rather just a pain at this point.
Thanks for all your help. I'll post back when I get an o ring that fits and let you know if it worked.
koreywill

koreywill
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:19 am

koreywill wrote: I notice Yamaha doesn't offer the o ring as an individual part but rather as an "assembly"

No doubt...ACE hardware usually has a pretty good selection. I've got couple assortment packs (Napa & Harbor Freight), but have no idea if anything is close.

koreywill wrote: Both are synthetics

Hmm...never seen a jug just saying: GTX 20w/50 as being a "synthetic" (Magnatec and/or High Mileage "is"). Been use'n GTX 20w/50 in everything (cept HD), since the 60s...cuz it was "not" a synthetic. The word "synthetic", doesn't even appear on the jug. Least the stuff I get.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: koreywill » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:54 am

Yep, you are correct about GTX. I looked it up originally and here's what I saw: Castrol® GTX® High Mileage™ 20W-50 - the #1 High Mileage brand - is a premium synthetic blend motor oil.
I just passed right over the words High Mileage. Mea culpa.
Details, details, details. Gotta pay attention to the details.

koreywill
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:56 pm

I knew I had posted on this subject years ago:
view topic.php?f=5&t=29570&p=263878&sid=fa70fb9d28af7bede9d6fb46107a93a6#p263878
if you care to check out that link.
Reader's digest version: The O-ring I used is from a Harbour Freight Kit, 24.4X30.6X3.1. Banater (haven't heard from him in a while....) chimed in with this info: the V-Star uses the same set up and the P.N. for the O-ring is 4XV-8A8F0-00-00
Hope that helps.

By the way, it doesn't take much of a bump on that "protector" to dislodge the sender enough to allow it to leak.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:37 pm

measured one once --- 49mm diameter IIRC
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun, __ :bike: or not :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: koreywill » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Hey Cusstout11 and Bantar: Any chance the the part number is O-RING 4XV-8A8E0-00-00 instead of 4XV-8A8F0-00-00 (E instead of F) as indicated in your post? I looked online and found the -8A8E0- part but the other one doesn't exist.
Also, would you suggest on the HF o-ring set nitrile, Viton or rubber?
I checked the protector after I pulled it off and it had some dings that I flattened out. Must of banged some rocks off it or something so maybe that's what dislodged the sender just enough to start leaking.
Couldn't get access to the post you referenced. Must be something I'm doing wrong on my end.

Mark75: Thanks for the 49mm reference.
I'll keep you posted on the fix. Might be a while so be patient.
koreywill

koreywill
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:23 pm

On that part number, I can't say - it was Banaters, and I haven't seen anything from him on the Forum for some time. Could be he made a typo?? I didn't go that route with my repair, so I can neither confirm or deny the correctness of that number; as for type of material, I'm not sure on that, but it seems to me that Viton is a good all-round choice for most applications. Obviously that O-ring is subject to some heat where it's installed. Re: the damaged "protector" - mine started leaking after loading the bike into the back of a pick up truck; my ramps weren't long enough with the extended front end I have, and that cover bumped on the edge of the tailgate on the truck on its way in. If I ever have to transport it again, I know enough to look for a berm somewhere to provide a better loading angle.

Here's the conversation from that thread:
PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100

Does anyone have the dimensions for the O-ring that seals the oil level sensor/switch located in the bottom of the crankcase? I have a '97 XV 1100 and an '85 XV1000, and both are seeping and I'd like to change them when I change oil to put them into hibernation for the winter. Yamaha doesn't show a part number for them, I'm in a small town and will likely need to order them.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:41 am

I meaured one once. my CRS is messing with me, but think it was ~39 to 41mm.

a quick :search2: should bring it up.

if you have a Harbor Freight near by, they have an O-ring assortment (~400 count) for <$10 US.
it's basically a lifetime supply of o-rings. :lol:
http://www.harborfreight.com/397-piece- ... 67580.html

mark75
Mod
Mod

Re: Oil level sensor O-ring
PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Sometimes the simplest of jobs can lead to learning.... The wire on my oil level sending unit is integral to the unit - no little screw or clip to hold the wire, and not enough slack to allow the unit to be pulled out of the bottom of the crankcase. I had to remove the battery box and the plastic cover/panel between it and the rear cylinder to finally get to the connector on the wire. Managed to disconnect it and pull enough slack forward to remove the sending unit. But it doesn't end there.... I couldn't locate a replacement O-ring locally, and Yamaha doesn't show it as a separate part number, so I contacted them and guess what???? Surprise, surprise, the response I got was "Unfortunately this is included with the sending unit itself…not sold separately." They only sell it as part of the sending unit at $154.49. Now that's an expensive O-ring.

Thanks Mark for the suggestion on a supplier, we don't have that vendor in Canada, so my search continues. By the way, I've measured my existing O-ring and find it to be 24.5 I.D X 30.5 O.D X 3mm thick; Harbour Freight's 397 piece kit shows one at 24.4 X30.6 X 3.1 and that should be the one for the job. The O.D. of the O-ring groove is 24.95mm (2% larger than I.D. of the O-ring) and the groove is 2.52 mm deep and 4.2 wide, all dimensions in accordance with good O-ring design as I undrstand it. A little snugger inside and outside makes for a good seal.

A 15/16" X 1/8" is just tooo thick by that much...

So if i can't find a kit at Napa, I'll likely have to order from Harbour Freights

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Banater » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:04 pm

The Vstar 1100 uses the same setup as the Virago's and the o-ring happens to be available separately. The Yamaha part number is 4XV-8A8E0-00-00. I have a Vstar and a Virago apart and have verified the interchangeability.
81' XV920RH (Resto Mod, 1100cc )
82' XV920RJ (Cafe racer project)
Banater
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Re: SOLVED:Oil level sensor O-ring
PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks Banater, let's mark this solved. Hmmm...N. Dakota ,I'll bet your ride is in hibernation now too? - Dan

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: koreywill » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:31 am

Hey Cusstout 1100! Thanks for getting back to me. After some looking around online I'm almost positive that the correct Yamaha O ring number is the one with an E and not the F. Probably a typo originally.
You are spot on with "Sometimes the simplest of jobs can lead to learning." I got to looking more carefully at how the o ring could be replaced and saw that the wiring went up and back along the frame. I was thinking I'd have to remove the mufflers but your post leads me to believe that's not necessary. Good to know. Now, I just need to find the o ring and find the time to get it installed. Snow's coming so it may be a while.
Oh yeah, nice custom touches on your 1100.
Thanks to all for the responses and I'll reopen the thread when I get it repaired.
koreywill

koreywill
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: "Protector" (upon further review)

PostAuthor: koreywill » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:32 pm

Well, I finally got a chance to gather all the parts (acorn nuts, o-rings and crush washer) and get everything installed. I ordered the previously mentioned o-ring for the oil sensor and I keep getting "it will be available Wednesday. Ooops, available Friday. Ooops available a week from Friday." You get the idea. I tried to source a part at an automotive parts store but it was too fat and didn't work. I took the sensor out, inspected the o-ring on that and decided that wasn't the problem. It was still flexible, supple, and intact.

arrived at the idea it was ok after cleaning as much of the bottom of the case as I could and then started up the vertical side of the case on the right. I did as thorough a cleaning job as I could without removing the exhaust pipes and think the leak was from a faulty o-ring on the oil filter cover. Yes, it was installed correctly but all the oil came from that area on back. I think after I'd park the bike it would just drop down and appear as if was coming from the sensor.

Got a new o-ring for that, also got the black one (closest to the outside) for the cover, put a new crush washer on the drain plug, filled it up with oil and went for a ride. I did have a little bit of oil on the case after it sat for a while but I think that was leftover from the areas I couldn't clean.

Tomorrow's supposed to be warmer so I'll go for a longer ride and give you a report.

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

koreywill
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:34 pm

99 times out of 100 that little o-ring is the problem.

The next time you change the filter, unscrew that bottom bolt but DO NOT pull the bolt out. Remove the filter cover with the bolt still through the hole. Be prepared to catch the o-ring in case it decides to become dislodged from the groove.

When you reinstall the cover, put the bottom bolt through the cover first, then gently screw or slide that little o-ring onto the bolt past the threads.

Doing things that way will give you lots of oil changes without buying a new o-ring. Pulling or pushing the bolt through the ring will often tear the o-ring, my method will prevent damage.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Re: "Protector" SOLVED

PostAuthor: koreywill » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:30 pm

Hey Jake, Thanks for the input and it's another trick that we all should use.when changing oil.
Went for another longer ride today and parked the bike on its center stand. Came back a few moments later and there was a very small trace of oil coming down the side but I still think it's leftover from when the oil filter cover was leaking previously. The only way I'll know for sure is to take of the exhaust and check behind there. I'm not going to do that as the area around the oil sensor is dry as is the area around the oil filter cover.
So, with all I've done I'm convinced there was no problem with the oil sensor o-ring but rather the oil cover o-ring. This whole exercise was certainly educational and I appreciate everyone's helpful hints. What I appreciate the most is the willingness of everyone to help and not make acerbic comments when I ask an ignorant or "stupid" question.

koreywill
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:19 am

what Jake said.

I did that once, just shoved the o-ring on (not paying attention).
found out the hard-way that bolt threads can gash an o-ring.

BTW: there is no such thing as a "stupid" question here.
knowledge is not hereditary, we all must learn stuff, and the only ignorant question that is one not asked.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun, __ :bike: or not :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750