Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

The Saga continues

• Advertisement

Post a reply

The Saga continues

PostAuthor: Flaekingr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:49 pm

I'll make this quick. I rode the virago to work the other evening, it still rides fine even though compression on the rear is rubbish(was going to write something else, then remembered where I was...)
Basically, the weather person was wrong(!!!) and it hammered with rain while I was at work. I should note that I have no right side cover and that the battery is open to the elements. So I had to push start it as the starter wasn't working, the lights were dim as anything, the horn sounded like it had gotten an answer wrong on a game show and I did actually get about 15 minutes up the road before it gave up the ghost. No amount of pushing was doing the trick, the lights were still on but even more faint and all the starter button did was nothing and there's me on the side of the road around midnight in the middle of what was quite a spectacular thunderstorm.
I trailered it home the next day and it's in the same state, lights come on but no starting.
Where do I begin?
Flaekingr
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv750 Virago "Moby Dick" cos getting this bloody thing fixed up is my white whale!!
2019 Lifan xv250, getting shoehorned into my CCW Heist frame
Sex: Male

Re: The Saga continues

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:30 pm

Did the starter try to engage at all? If not, I assume the battery is bad. The Virago family requires a new and strong battery to get the crap starter parts spinning and crashing together well. If not... you're walking.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:44 am

:yup:

I've found that the battery is always the first suspect of the 'usual suspects' with most (many) XV issues.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Arjay » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:19 pm

the video link below is a guy who changed his stator out onxv1100. He states 14.5 volts expected on stator at 3k rpm.

My Clymer book states .5 ohms between each stator wire.

Check positive for vampire with ignition off. Believe it or not reversing the thick cables on my starter solenoid solved mine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=srzfWyMlm7c

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:24 pm

Flaekingr wrote:I'll make this quick. I rode the virago to work the other evening, it still rides fine even though compression on the rear is rubbish(was going to write something else, then remembered where I was...)
Basically, the weather person was wrong(!!!) and it hammered with rain while I was at work. I should note that I have no right side cover and that the battery is open to the elements. So I had to push start it as the starter wasn't working, the lights were dim as anything, the horn sounded like it had gotten an answer wrong on a game show and I did actually get about 15 minutes up the road before it gave up the ghost. No amount of pushing was doing the trick, the lights were still on but even more faint and all the starter button did was nothing and there's me on the side of the road around midnight in the middle of what was quite a spectacular thunderstorm.
I trailered it home the next day and it's in the same state, lights come on but no starting.
Where do I begin?

as said begin with the battery (may need a new one), then you need clean/quality grounds (all-- battery, reg/rec, coils, TCI, etc.)

then check if reg/rec is still living. if it's ok then

check the stator is producing correctly.

if you have any issues or questions, we are here to help.

so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:52 am

As Mark said. And, not meaning to mislead, a couple thoughts on two separate incidents from my experience (both in rain conditions), and because you apparently have excessive exposure to moisture. Daughter's '85 XV 1000 quit on her, same symptoms as you experienced. I drove 110 miles to pick her up in the middle of the night. Still had her bike on the back of my pick-up the next morning....found the ignition fuse was loose in its holder; shimmed it tight with a piece of plastic from an oil jug and it's still running like that several years later. Second one was on my '97 1100, similar circumstances. Turned out to be loose, damp connections in that big 41R..... relay. Cleaned up all those contacts and applied dialectric grease to the plug surfaces (not the contacts!). No problems since then.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flaekingr » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:10 am

Well...that was unexpected. :o:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flaekingr
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv750 Virago "Moby Dick" cos getting this bloody thing fixed up is my white whale!!

PostAuthor: Flaekingr » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:17 am

I suppose my next question is what makes a good replacement battery other than stock?
Flaekingr
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:16 am

Apparently you have the best, most cost effective and long lasting battery that will hold a charge longer is an AGM battery. They cost a little more but well worth it.

All batteries eventually die, do you know the age of the battery ?

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Flaekingr » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Couldn't even hazard a guess. The bike is nearly 25 years old though so I sincerely doubt it's the original.
Flaekingr
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:46 pm

I think Motobat has a good reputation as a quality AGM battery. Their 200+ cca was plenty to get my 750 started. I had to enlarge the battery compartment slightly to fit a 1st Gen 750. I never had one for more than a year so I don't know about their longevity.

I have pulled swollen AGM batteries out of uninterruptible power supplies before that were ~6 years old which is not what I'd call premature.

I recommend a new battery and check your voltage with the bike running. If it reads more than 15 volts, you need a new regulator.
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:09 am

This maybe Old Hat stuff (as in: another way to look at it)...but...often overlooked, and... something to keep in mind... is the battery "also" acts as a buffer between the charging system and the electrical components. Alternators are capable of putting out some very high voltages; in many instances bucket loads of AC volts can be generated, which is waay more than enough to fry everything in the system. The battery prevents the alternator from running away, even if the rectifier/regulator fails, though it might sacrifice itself in the process. Which, imo, sure looks to be the case here. Ideally, if one can find a used battery, in a not so great a condition, "just" to do the simple R/R output to battery test, as mentioned earlier, you would atleast not damage a "new" one while testing. Coarse, testing for this 14.8 volt (or so) R/R to battery output, would be sooo quick, little to no "real" damage would occur to a new battery. "Usually, that is." That's something the tester would have to decide. Guess "I" always error on the side of: "Why take the chance with a new part?".
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: drainplug » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:52 pm

I have to agree that you need to check the charging system, whatever way you think is best.
Could hook it to a car battery as they have a bigger capacity.
As far as replacement battery, I use an Odyssey 680 and it's been in this bike for 5 years so far and never skips a beat.
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: Flaekingr » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:15 am

Thanks for the replies, folks. A new battery will have to wait until after New Year madness. FlyingDog, I haven't got any spare batteries lying around to test on, my car battery is also kinda vital at this point. I think I'll have to chance it with the new one.
Flaekingr
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Enders13 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:17 pm

You're not going to miss out on too many riding days this time of year! :cl:

Enders13
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Lookin for a mono shock 750 for cafe racer home project

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:48 am

Enders13 wrote:You're not going to miss out on too many riding days this time of year! :cl:

No Doubt.... If I remember my high school geography correctly, "January" is pretty much the middle of summer down that away. Seemings how they're just atad bit closer to the equator.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Flaekingr » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:16 pm

It's not my only bike, thank f*** :r:
Flaekingr
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flaekingr » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Hello virago brain trust. I'm looking at the charging system and had a battery question, namely what sort of cca do I need to be looking at? I'm looking at buying a cheap new battery just for this purpose before getting a better quality one once it's all sorted, any reason a cheap one wouldn't do this job?
Flaekingr
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:00 pm

Flaekingr wrote:Hello virago brain trust. I'm looking at the charging system and had a battery question, namely what sort of cca do I need to be looking at? I'm looking at buying a cheap new battery just for this purpose before getting a better quality one once it's all sorted, any reason a cheap one wouldn't do this job?

750 OEM recommendation is 16 amp hour. [have to check with battery maker for cca claims.]
IMO: you could also go with up to 20 ah. (but is kind of wasting $$ since less expensive 16 will do the job)

the cost generally depends on which type of battery you get - standard lead/acid, sealed L/A, AGM, lithium, etc. etc.

JMO: it's been my experience that most M/C batteries don't last more than a couple of years anyways (d/t harsh conditions? :con: ), so the higher priced ones just make riding more expensive.

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750