Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Stuck in 1st Gear

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Stuck in 1st Gear

PostAuthor: FragileHippie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:53 pm

Hey Virago Tech Forum! This site is awesome.

I bought a 1983 XV750 for a song. It’s been sitting for 2 years, so I expected it needed a thorough carb cleaning. Before tackling that I changed the oil, new gas, and battery. After much difficulty, I was able to get it started. I decided to take a short test ride and put it in 1st gear and tooled around. It would not go back into neutral or 2nd. It was in neutral before I started, but now it’s stuck in first, running or stopped I can’t get it out of 1st gear.

Has anyone ever seen this problem? Is there anything I can try before removing the engine and cracking open the crankcase?
FragileHippie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Stuck in 1st Gear

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:24 am

FragileHippie wrote: Is there anything I can try before removing the engine and cracking open the crankcase?

If yours' has the linkage setup, may wanna check and see if the shift linkage is free/loose (ish), by pulling back the rubber boots and spraying/cleaning out the joints with WD or some kinda lubricant. The shift lever pivot point also needs to be lubed/little grease. Suppose it's possible the shift forks/drum could be gunked up from sitting so long. With the new oil, could trying rock'n the bike work'n the shift lever by hand, for a start.
The parts diagram shows direct connection from lever to shift shaft, but some models (such as my '81/750) does use the linkage.

For reference---> https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... hift-shaft
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... haft-pedal

You could also remove left engine cover and check out the torsion springs. Had one break yrs ago at a bike rally. Would keep from shifting outta gear. Funny, cuz being out in the middle of no-mans-land (and first day of 4-day rally)..ended up leaning bike against a tree and tore into it. Was able to re-bend one of the torsion spring's legs back around the molded post, hoping just to get by until we got back home. Heh..that was 20yrs ago. Never did re-place it....yet. :bg:

Or possibly something in the area of #3, 4, 5...is hang'n.--> https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... t-cam-fork

Good luck..somethings are pita..but satify'n when you fix it, for sure. :cl:
Last edited by Flyingdog on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 am

Flyingdog wrote:
You may wanna check and see if the shift linkage is free/loose (ish), by pulling back the rubber boots and spraying/cleaning out the joints with WD or some kinda lubricant. The shift lever pivot point also needs to be lubed/little grease.

Old age setting in ? That trick doesn't apply to the '82, no linkage like the 2nd Gen bikes.

Flyingdog wrote: Suppose it's possible the shift forks/drum could be gunked up from sitting so long. With the new oil, could trying rock'n the bike work'n the shift lever by hand, for a start.

:yup:

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:55 am

Jake wrote: That trick doesn't apply to the '82, no linkage like the 2nd Gen bikes.

Yea, I know..why I said: "If yours has". His is direct('83),mine is also "suppose" to be direct according to fiche. Was thinking his "might be" set up like mine with the foot rest bars, as it wasn't mentioned which he had. Does sound like something iffy along the shift shaft, if the pedal doesn't move.

'81/750
DSC_0001.JPG

"Old age setting in?" Not quite yet (could be ly'n to myself), but thanks for asking. Let's put it this way: Don't drag the knees like I use to and the body is always come'n up with "new" noises. :bg:

Oh Yea...Not sure exactly when was the last time I mentioned: "I'm Really Starting to Hate SNOW!!"

(The Dog gives the Snow Gods.."The Fickled Finger of Fate Salute!" :devil:)
Or as a former Mid-Westerener would say: Go kiss my lily white... :bkiss:

Sorry FH for take'n up some of yer post for my rant'n. :cl: :usa:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:38 pm

FragileHippie wrote:Hey Virago Tech Forum! This site is awesome.

I bought a 1983 XV750 for a song. It’s been sitting for 2 years, so I expected it needed a thorough carb cleaning. Before tackling that I changed the oil, new gas, and battery. After much difficulty, I was able to get it started. I decided to take a short test ride and put it in 1st gear and tooled around. It would not go back into neutral or 2nd. It was in neutral before I started, but now it’s stuck in first, running or stopped I can’t get it out of 1st gear.

Has anyone ever seen this problem? Is there anything I can try before removing the engine and cracking open the crankcase?

try a 'full' clutch adjustment, that sometimes does it.
>>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46216
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: FragileHippie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions gurus! I'll try these out this weekend and post back with progress.
VTF Rocks!
FragileHippie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: FragileHippie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:30 pm

The shift lever does move up and down. I get a distinct point where it resists slightly and then travels further with a clunk, which really sounds and feels like it's changing gear. This happens going up and down with the lever. However after going up, the neutral lite doesn't come on, and releasing the clutch shows that it's still in gear.

I've already tried adjusting the clutch, but I'll review the "full" procedure as suggested to be sure.
FragileHippie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:01 am

Yep..sure sound like it's something in that shift shaft..May have to pull the left engine cover off and check those springs, stopper lever assembly, end of selector drum, etc etc.
Good luck with the diagnosis. Kinda tough come'n up with the right diagnosis..long distance.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: FragileHippie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:16 pm

Update:
I cracked open the left crank case cover (, my first time.) The shift lever, shaft, and springs all looked good. After checking out the drum and how it works, I notice that the lobes that the shifter locks into appeared to be off by one. There's an extra notch that the shift lever can rest in between 1st and 2nd for neutral. The drum was rotated too far counter clockwise (between 5th & 1st?) Rotating the drum into the proper position and re-installing the shift lever appears to have restored proper shifting.

I still need to road test it... other problems must be resolved first.
Thanks VTF!
Before:
WrongGear.jpg

After:
Neutral.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FragileHippie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:38 am

Wow..that's a weird one..but :GJ: ...track'n it down, anyway. One of those areas many don't venture into. But ya gotta.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750