Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

82 XV750 Crankcase covers

• Advertisement

Post a reply

82 XV750 Crankcase covers

PostAuthor: MERKR » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:11 pm

Is there an easy procedure to remove both side covers to replace the gasket?
I am hoping it just involves removing the main perimeter bolts.
Also is there any high-end gaskets that are less prone to leakage?
I couldn't find much data on this, any help would be greatly appreciated. :cl:

MERKR
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 xv750 virago
Sex: Male

Re: 82 XV750 Crankcase covers

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 am

First post since join'n 5yrs ago? Hmmm....

:VTF: ...anyway... :bg:

MERKR wrote:Is there an easy procedure to remove both side covers to replace the gasket?
I am hoping it just involves removing the main perimeter bolts.

That's pretty much it. Just be prepare for everything (starter gears) to fall out on the left side. Always do..no biggie, though.. :bg: Install? Very straight forward too. Left side?..Just atad trickier, as you'll find out. Cuz of the rotor's magnets and starters' gear set. Couple little tricks that works quite well on that left cover. One is inserting bout 4 or 5...5" like bolts, with the heads cut off, prior to putting the cover back on. Acts as a guides/dowels/locating pins, for the (left/stator) side cover, as you put it back on. While not necessary, it does help some people. Just be absolutely sure "all" wires are free. Nobody wants to redo this, cuz of a pinched wire. The other, is the starter gears. Specially on Gen1 Viragos with the brake clips I like putting a very tight 0-ring over the shaft, snuggly-against the concave of the starter wheel/spring/idler gear combo. Holds everything together, nicely. You can also "turn" the gears (with the brake clips) to the left within the brake clips holders. This kinda locks them in place, till ya get the cover on. Now, me?..I also smear a very "light" coating of RTV on the gaskets (Not Silicone). Silicone seems to ball-up, too much. I'm a big believer in YamaBond, for something like this. Sadly, they quit making this, but ThreeBond Liquid Gasket (#1194) is close. This just makes sure "any" scratches are filled in. Scratches are very easily missed cuz of the mirror image, sometimes. Some do, some don't do this..so it's entirely your choice. It's main purpose was for metal-to-metal mating (such as 2-cycles), so metal-to-gasket is a snap. I've used very old gaskets, at times, with this over and over, with no problems. But like always..new (gaskets) is always better.
Quality? Pretty much any/all of your reputable dealers, JPcycle, Dennis Kirk, Fel-Pro, Bike Bandit, Revzilla, Rick's Motorsport electrics, all carry, pretty much the same thing and are all good. Like always, it's the prep and application that's most important, IMO. Cork vs paper vs metal. All depends on the applications. But 99% of the time, it's going to be paper/cardboard. Cept head gaskets. But most of us don't get that deep into re-builds.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Howdy, glad you finally decided to join-in the discussions.

are you having an issue with oil leaking? if so where?

xv is usually pretty oil-tight, and not prone to marking her territory unless the oil filter cover o-ring {#5] is damaged or lost. (sometimes #s 2 & 3 also)
>>> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... oil-filter
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:17 pm

I definitely can see wanting to spruce/clean things up with new gaskets. Never hurts. You're only outta time and money. Besides, the oil filter cover 0-rings, Mark pointed out, couple more might wanna check, while the engine oil is drained. Specifically the oil level sensor. The little donut seal, around the clutch push-rod adjuster is worth a look-see, also. These areas have been known to harden up and seep at times. Rare, but usually eventually happen at the wrong time. :bg: But, good idea to atleast check while everything is drained and doing some checking. Pretty much anything that combines 0-rings, rubber, gaskets and "heat" will eventually break down, as I'm sure you're aware of.
Oil level sensor.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: TahoeVirago » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Welcome! FlyingDog is on the money, Its pretty straight forward - just pay attention to the starter gears!
I replaced my gasket when i got my bike and haven't had a drip or a drop since! (Last owner dropped it in Mexico and welded the shift linkage back together, reinstalled old gasket)
1983 XV750 Virago - first bike/project
22,000 miles, all factory (until winter)

TahoeVirago
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 XV750K Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750