Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Xv750 Clutch

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Xv750 Clutch

PostAuthor: Conlyfe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:46 am

I just installed a new clutch basket assembly with all of the friction plates, discs, and even new springs. After the installation I seated a little screw on the side if the bike where the clutch cable goes in. The manual called for a 1/4 turn to a 1/2 turn out. I couldn’t get the bike to even move initial I got the bolt out 4 1/2 turns out. It doesn’t feel like the bike is slipping but when it is on the center stand, the back tire moves just slightly. The friction zone is also very far out and when you let the clutch out it doesn’t start to move the bike until the last like inch or so. Any thoughts? New clutch, and cable. Thank you.
Those who take the most risks always have the best stories to tell...

Conlyfe
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Xv750 Clutch

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:01 pm

you may have a displaced "3-ball gizmo" - aka push screw ball retainer [#8]--- https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... d92/clutch

you may wind-up having to remove the side case to get it back in place [use Vaseline to help hold it in-place while reassembling. the Vaseline will dissolve in your oil with no effects]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:03 am

:yup:

I'm sure you already know, but just to make sure: Before adjusting at the pushrod..have the adjuster at the handlebar lever, fully loose and when turning the pushrod adjuster screw.."lightly" seated, before you 1/4" turning out. Some really crank down on that screw, totally throw'n any free play waaay outta whack.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Conlyfe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:29 am

So no matter what that screw should be 1/4-1/2 turn out? Am I causing harm to my clutch running how I am? Thanks.

Conlyfe
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:44 am

Conlyfe wrote: Am I causing harm to my clutch running how I am? Thanks.

How much? Couldn't say for sure, other than if that ball retainer is outta alignment, I'm sure it may effect how the clutch pack engages. Just sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging fully, even with very little freeplay. Don't know, never came across alotta clutch problems. Other than lot of people always have helava time getting the friction point where they want it.
Here's another fly in the ointment....Those steel plates are directional. If you look closely at your old ones, you notice the inner tangs have two distinct sides. One side flat and one side beveled. Doesn't matter which way they're installed, as long as they all are laying the same way. Meaning..say all the flat sides are facing in or out within the clutch pack.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Conlyfe » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:48 am

I don’t think that the clutch is still slipping. As I rode it more it feels better but the friction zone is just so far and it tends to get awkward sometimes when shifting. Everything is happening to me all at once. My fork seals just blew yesterday. I’m not too educated in that field but I guess that’s what the forum is for right?

Conlyfe
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:03 pm

Conlyfe wrote: As I rode it more it feels better but the friction zone is just so far and it tends to get awkward sometimes when shifting.

Yep..know what ya mean. I've always hated where "THE MANUAL" always puts it. Me? Bout any bike I've had, I'll adjust it to where the clutch will start to grab bout 1/4"-3/8" from the grip. It's not for everyone, just where I like it. It's just more comfortable doing slow speed maneuvers/slipp'n the clutch. Now..on some bikes ya can't do that and still have the clutch fully disengage. Fortunately, the Virago will. This will not be in the books and is not "by the numbers" way of adjusting clutch/freeplay.... and if you don't feel comfortable about it..definitely: "Don't Do It". What you can do: Put turn your lever adjuster bout 1/2 way between fully out and fully in. Now take off the cover for the pushrod adjuster and unlock the nut on the adjuster. Grab your lever and squeeze it till you feel the friction. Holding the lever, you now turn the pushrod adjuster counterclockwise. You'll feel the lever start to move. Just turn the adjuster CC till the lever is bout 1/2 the distance of the total throw. Work the level few times (without turning the pushrod adjuster anymore) to get things seated. Start the bike and see if the clutch engages where you like it. Want more freeplay..try turning the adjuster, "at the lever", in, towards the lever's pivot. If operation of the lever vs clutch pack doesn't feel like where you like it, back that (lever) adjuster back out and do the pushrod adjust again. When satified, tighten the locknut and button everything back up. Don't go too nuts, or the clutch may not dis-engage. AKA: if the bike starts to creep when the clutch lever is pulled fully in, the clutch is not fully dis-engaging. Sounds lot more than it really is

Naturally, only do something like this is "after"..as Mark suggested..everything is in it's place.

The bottom line, I guess is I just never cared for or agreed with (Virago in this case) where, by the book, clutch freeplay is set..3/32"-1/8"? Wow..I'd say. :bg: But, lotta people like it like that..and.. it's all just a personal preference thing.

Now, once again I wanna say this has always worked for me and if you don't feel comfortable playing around with the pushrod adjuster, outside of what the manual tells ya.."Don't Do It".
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750