Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

xv750 running rich and stalling

• Advertisement

Post a reply

xv750 running rich and stalling

PostAuthor: robbietobbie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:47 am

Hi guys, hoping you have some good tips for me since I can't find a solution.
Got a '95 xv750 a couple of years ago that was literally lying in someone's backyard. Got it back to running pretty easily after cleaning out the tank and carbs and getting it a fresh battery and new tires. It ran fine for a year or two.
At the end of last year I took it out for a ride, parked it in my garage and noticed a little later that almost all of the gas had leaked out (my girlfriend was not happy with that smell).

Since it was leaking from the carbs I figured that must be where the problem was so I took them off and cleaned them again without having found anything troublesome. I then discovered the issue was the petcock so I got a new one. The good news is that it hasn't leaked since, the bad news is that it hasn't worked right either. Also changed the oil and filter since the gas had gotten in there too.

When I start the bike up after not having driven it for some time it will initially run and idle just fine. Then after a couple of minutes it stalls when I let the RPM drop and will not start up again. After a couple of minutes I can get it running again as long as I don't use the choke but again it will stall if I let the RPM drop.
I tried increasing the idle rpm but that didn't help. Figuring I messed something up with the carbs I took them off again, cleaned them and put them back in. That didn't fix the issue. I took the carbs off again and checked the float height which was perfect.
The sparkplugs are pitchblack. The engine dies pretty much immediately if I use the choke. I found no clogs or anything in the carbs

Would love to hear some suggestions to what I can do next! Thanks in advance for any input and advice you can offer.

robbietobbie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: xv750 running rich and stalling

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:46 am

Did you replace the O rings in the Pilot Screw? If they are flattened out or cracked, that will allow the idle fuel flow to run full Rich with no way to control it.... Pilot screw settings are 2.5 turns out from a soft seat and then adjust each cylinder for the best idle. Did you sync the carbs?
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: robbietobbie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:28 am

Thanks for your advice. I never touched the pilot screws so I was hoping that would rule them out. Decided to give them a go anyway and noticed that the previous owner must have fiddled with them too since the heads were ruined.
They were impossible to turn so I decided to gently drill them out which worked pretty well on the first one but on the second one the part of the carb where the pilot screw goes in just snapped off completely. I have no idea how that happened since I hadn't put any pressure on it yet...

So yeah I'm screwed now, will have to see if I can find a replacement carb or try to switch to a single carb.

robbietobbie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 am

I would look for a set of stock Mikuni carbs. They are not inexpensive, but if they are set up correctly, your bike will run perfect. IMHO, the cost of going to a single carb will be just as expensive. If you choose to go that route, don't use an old carb that you were already having problems with. Bite the Bullet and get a new Mikuni carb.....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: robbietobbie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:46 am

Would you recommend getting a set of bst 40's or will others do? Since the bst40's are hard to find in my area. And if I do find them, will they fit the same as the old ones? Because the ones I can find look slightly different than mine and the diagrams in my Haynes manual.

Again thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out!

robbietobbie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: robbietobbie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:07 pm

I've found two mikuni bst 40's for cheap, thing is though they're single carbs so there's no brackets to link them. Having a hard time figuring out what the difference between my current stock bst 40's and these are. They look completely different to me (i have the ones with the copper "top" and these have black ones if that clarifies).
Getting pretty confused :roll:

robbietobbie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 am

Do you have a link to the ones you found? I would recommend the BST40 MIkuni's. Theres a bracket that holds the two carbs together on the back and at the top.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: robbietobbie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am

This is one of them https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/on ... e=whatsapp

This is the other one: https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/on ... ousPage=lr

Guy says he doesnt have any brackets and i'm guessing the ones from my carbs won't fit?

Are there in fact two types of mikuni bst40's? The ones like that guy is selling and my stock carbs?

robbietobbie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Yes, there are two types of bst40's. The one's in your link are for KTM, Honda 650 and others single cylinder dual sport bikes and they are different externally, but similar inside. Here's a link to a guy that rebuilds them, he may have a set he can sell or he may be able to rebuild yours. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Virago-Profess ... XQVT9TDYms
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: robbietobbie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks for your help, i'm going to look into that link you sent me.
I've decided to try glueing my carb back together with heat resistant epoxy glue since that would be an inexpensive fix.

robbietobbie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750