Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Oops I did it again......

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Oops I did it again......

PostAuthor: Mace_Hacker » Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 am

Yep. I bought another 1982 XV750. I couldn’t resist.
The Craigslist add was for $1000 and he said he was riding it daily. This is what he had in his add:
“I have been riding this bike everyday back and forth to work. Runs good. You can crank it up and ride it home.
I have replaced or fixed the following:
New plug wires
New voltage regulator
New Headlight diode
New petcocks
Newfront caliper rebuild
New front brake pads
turn signals
New tires
New front axle seals
Newfrontwheelbearings
New air filter
motor oil change
New tailight bulbs
Enlarge pilot jet on front carb”

So...about 10 years ago I got a 82 XV750 from a friend in trade for payment. I never got it street legal therefore I never really got to ride it more than up and down my street. I let another “friend” take the bike to work on it for me.....he stripped off parts and let water get in the cylinders to the point they locked up.
Scratch one Virago.
When I saw this add I felt compelled to try again. I had my wife drive me down to look at it. Aside from the ding in tank and the missing battery cover...it looked to be complete. We talked a minute or so about all he had done to it then I hopped on and started it up.
The familar sound of a box of rocks in a blender drifted up to my ears. It fired up on the second or third try from a cold start. No choke. After test riding it around the block and not falling off; I decided I could probably make it home safely. So I paid the nice young man his money, collected a spare set of pipes and some other little cover pieces, then had my wife follow me home....about 33 miles away. I wore my steel toe workbooks, jeans, a long sleeve denim jacket, safety vest,gloves,and a full face helmet with visor. (The visor was scratched a bit and as it got dark,about halfway home, it was difficult to see well)
We did make home safe. No problems.
That said, I would not do that again. I felt I rode well enough but, I had no insurance, no tag, no license. The paranoia was killing me.
This will be my first official street legal bike and I look forward to riding it with my friends. I plan to fix the starter issue and will probably switch to a single carb intake as well. All in all i am happy with the bike and look forward to sharing my trials and triumphs with the rest of you.
It feels good to be back.

PS: Over the years that I have been a member here I have contributed once or twice to help fund the forum. Even after I lost my first bike and no longer was active here. Since I picked up this bike on Monday, and logged back in here, I have kicked in a small donation and will set up a recurring one going forward. It was an awesome feeling to sign back in to this wealth of knowledge about these old bikes. I can’t imagine how hard it would be if this forum was not here to help noobs like me muddle through and avoid serious mistakes.
Thanks, again.
Love your country. Fear your government.
My ride is an '82 XV 750
Mace_Hacker
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv750
Sex: Male

Re: Oops I did it again......

PostAuthor: faffi » Thu May 10, 2018 1:24 pm

Congrats on your "new" bike :):
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Mace_Hacker » Thu May 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Thank you...Thank you very much.
My ride is an '82 XV 750
Mace_Hacker
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:19 am

Good to have you back home.

Ride safe.
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Mace_Hacker » Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm

You know, it's really nice to read through the posts here. You learn so much about things you never would have thought could even be an issue.
My ride is an '82 XV 750
Mace_Hacker
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:11 am

Mace_Hacker wrote:You know, it's really nice to read through the posts here. You learn so much about things you never would have thought could even be an issue.

you can bet that if it's happened to/on a Virago, it's been posted in a thread here someplace. sadly the server doesn't allow better search ...
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Mace_Hacker » Wed May 16, 2018 8:51 am

I am certain there is a script kiddie out there that can fix the search problem. That would help a lot.
Also..it would not hurt to have and indexed "sticky" section..maybe?
My ride is an '82 XV 750
Mace_Hacker
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 am

Mace_Hacker wrote:I am certain there is a script kiddie out there that can fix the search problem. That would help a lot.

The only search that works now https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx ... sypdyarw70

The site search has been disabled because it was being abused. Too many members and guests having multiple browser tabs open overloaded our allotted use of the server CPU, thereby causing our host to shut down the forum for a few days at a time.

Mace_Hacker wrote:Also..it would not hurt to have and indexed "sticky" section..maybe?

The forum has too many sections now, and someone has to determine what should be stickied. The items you would like to see are not what others would like.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Mace_Hacker » Mon May 21, 2018 9:40 am

Ok, but you have to agree that at least a few things “should” be sticky. Box of rocks fix is probably number one.

Since I brought it up; I just got my new starter and plan to change it out soon. My question is this...which gaskets will I need to replace when I do this and, should I have anything else on hand ie. replacement springs, shims, clips, etc?
There are so many different how to’s on this that show the gears and stuff but not complete process start to finish including gaskets etc.
My ride is an '82 XV 750
Mace_Hacker
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750