Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

MK1 750 starting issue

• Advertisement

Post a reply

MK1 750 starting issue

PostAuthor: Rexi » Fri May 19, 2017 7:56 am

Quick background on this one, everything is original that I can see nothing seems to differ from the manual.
Old engine was beyond repair but did turn on the button. Got a new engine and swapped the old starter to it as engine didn't have one, new engine seems to turn freely with good compression.
So, everything is in the frame and good to go, bike is in neutral. When I push to start the engine it sounds like the solenoid clicks and nothing else happens, the oil warning light will come on but I don't think that has much to do with it as generally this happens with most my bikes on start up?

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be very appreciated, was 12 hours in the garage yesterday and my mind is pretty much like my tool box right now, unorganised and rusty!
Rexi
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1983 XV750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: MK1 750 starting issue

PostAuthor: DGA » Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 am

New battery? Do you have over 12 V at the terminals? Possible you did something wrong when you installed the new starter? The solenoid could be at fault, try shorting a piece of metal across the main terminals and see if it tries to crank like that, BE CAREFUL, it will spark, wear glasses etc.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

Re: MK1 750 starting issue

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:36 pm

OR, first take a test light and see if you are getting 12v on the terminal toward the front of the bike on the starter switch (solenoid). If so, do the same thing at the post on top of the starter. Let us know what you find.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV750